ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-24-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Apex PS-7 Wheels installed

Also replaced the now 8+ years old RacingBrake 75mm studs. Stud replacement was easy but time consuming, took me all of about 3.5 hours to finish, but mostly because I took some long breaks in between.

These Apex PS-7s are shod with Maxxis RC-1 scrubs with a couple of heat cycles on them, 275/35/R18s squared. Took it to my favorite parking spot to get some quick shots with the iPhone...And realized I had taken some shots 11 years ago at the same exact spot the week I got the MZ4 Coupe.

Boy the car looks as good today as the day I brought it home.

Car's gone through some slight modifications.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 3
Mirko182.00
Redacre363.50
      07-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #2
The HACK
Rep

Few more portrait sized shots.
Attached Images

Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
DEG67.50
      07-24-2017, 10:53 PM   #3
The HACK
Rep

The PS-7 at 18" x 9.5" ET43 (on clearance @ ApexRaceparts.com) require some significant spacers to fit. Not ideal, but as it turns out, gave me the flexibility to fine-tune the front clearance to what already was a very close call on the stock 9" ET30 wheels. With 15mm spacers, effectively making the ET43 wheels ET28, the inner barrel clearance decreased only by 3mm. What used to be a fairly comfortable margin from the wheel to the strut, and from the tires to the spring collars, is now razor thin. I suspect, under load due to tire deflection the tires may touch the spring collar. We shall see when I take it to the local tracks.

On a positive note, the clearance to the brake caliper is insane with this new setup. I probably have 1 more inch of radial clearance and 2 more inch of axial clearance. Can almost stick my whole hand in there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
XMetal1096.50
kaybat125.50
bananabun163.50
Mirko182.00
      07-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
What a transformation! The new setup look amazing on the car

Is it my eye or is the driver rear looked lower than the passenger rear?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 11:33 PM   #5
Shutterspeed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

Okay i won't lie when i saw the thread of the fancy wide diffuser on stock wheels, i wasn't a fan. but with this set up it looks right at home!
      07-25-2017, 03:18 AM   #6
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Looks great! New wheels, other mods, very nice. Razor thin gaps as in a sheet of paper or two or a few mm? I think it's the contact patch / top of the tire area that's going to move more than the sidewall further towards the rim. The closer to the rim itself the less flex there should be.

Only way to know for sure is to run it like you said.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Wouldn't be shocked if it is, usually they adjust the rear collars to corner balance because it's easier to access. Although you would have to assume with it CB'ed with my weight in the drivers side, once I'm out the driver's rear should raise up higher?

Will probably take a tape measure to it tomorrow to see.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 12:28 PM   #8
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
I think you have eagle eyes. There is a slight difference in ride-height between the right and left rear, but the driver's side is HIGHER by about 3/8".

I have an explanation as to why the driver's side appear LOWER in the picture though. Part of the charm and magic of a MacPherson front, independent multi-link suspension rear with anti-swaybars and massive caster angle (relatively speaking) is the fact that when you turn the wheel one way or another, it actually affects ride height in the direction you're turning in. In the picture the wheels are cranked to the right, thus effectively raising the passenger front tire and lowering the driver's rear. The magic of this suspension layout which has been used on high performance sedans, coupes, and roadsters from BMW and Porsche, is that by default, in a corner at speed you would naturally put more weight to the rear OUTSIDE tire that needs it the most.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Quote:
I think you have eagle eyes. There is a slight difference in ride-height between the right and left rear, but the driver's side is HIGHER by about 3/8".

I have an explanation as to why the driver's side appear LOWER in the picture though. Part of the charm and magic of a MacPherson front, independent multi-link suspension rear with anti-swaybars and massive caster angle (relatively speaking) is the fact that when you turn the wheel one way or another, it actually affects ride height in the direction you're turning in. In the picture the wheels are cranked to the right, thus effectively raising the passenger front tire and lowering the driver's rear. The magic of this suspension layout which has been used on high performance sedans, coupes, and roadsters from BMW and Porsche, is that by default, in a corner at speed you would naturally put more weight to the rear OUTSIDE tire that needs it the most.

Your theory seems logical. Thanks for the explanation
      07-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #10
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Razor thin gaps as in a sheet of paper or two or a few mm?
Few mms. The gap between the collar and the tire is very small, can't squeeze a finger in there past the tip. I suspect, even with the old setup it would rub the collar when pressed on track (haven't tracked the car with the KW Clubsports yet. Gasp).

But I've seen some videos of small cameras installed on suspension that show tire deflection on track, and they definitely will deflect enough to touch the collar right now. My club racing friends don't seem to think it'll be a problem so I'll go with that for now.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #11
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shutterspeed View Post
Okay i won't lie when i saw the thread of the fancy wide diffuser on stock wheels, i wasn't a fan. but with this set up it looks right at home!
I'm not going to lie either, but a decent set of aftermarket wheels really do change this car. I've been running mostly on the stockers for the last few years, and before that I had Alpina knock-offs that nobody liked, but this car seems to just look "right" on these aftermarket rims.

I've been sneaking out to drive the car just to drive the car the last few months (since the KW Clubsports went on)...Haven't done that with the car in a while. Car seems to be good where it's at, maybe when the Skyer spoilers are done I'll call it a day (for now).
Appreciate 1
      07-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Fantastic wheels, the car looks super!

It looks better than when it was new, and still looks better than nearly anything on the road!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 06:13 PM   #13
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

Love it!

You are making me want to sell my EC7's and get a set!!
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 12:28 PM   #14
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

The HACK , how is this setup working out so far? Any rub? I'm considering taking advantage of PS-7 clearance pricing and switching to a squared setup myself. We have the same brakes, but I have Turner camber bolts instead of adjustable plates. Will I still need spacers?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #15
The HACK
Rep

It rubs on full lock while doing U-turns.

It was doing that with the OEM rear wheel squared set-up too, but the OEM setup had rubbed through whatever it was that was rubbing it (the fender liner near the bumper). I'll have to jack the car up and see if it's rubbing on the inside but I don't think so. I suspect it's rubbing on the front fender liner near the brake duct.

Regarding spacers, it depends on what offset you get. I have KW Clubsport and the location of the spring collar means I have less inner clearance than the Ground Control kit I ran before, unless I want to raise the front by another 1/4" which means I'll need to redo the corner balance. Plus I like the ride height where it's at right now. So with my current set-up, it's effectively a ET28 up front with the spacers added (ET 43 minus a 15mm spacer). If I'm on a 265/35/R18 tire it won't rub for sure, and I would have maybe 5mm worth of barrel to strut clearance (hard to measure once it's all bolted up, 5mm is a safe estimate) and maybe the 8-10mm clearance from sidewall to spring collar, with ample room to the fender liner on the outside front, just behind where the bumper meets the fender.

If you square it up and run 25mm offset all around at 9.5" wide, you should theoretically clear the calipers and the strut with ease. My original setup was with camber bolts with 2 washers installed (with the KWs I run with no camber bolt fully knowing the less clearance on the inside of the barrel) at -3º of camber up front, and that has enough clearance inside. The PS-7 has very good caliper clearance too, with the 43mm profile 1 wheels and 15mm spacer you can see I can easily stick a whole hand between the spokes and the calipers.

The BEST all around solution might be to go with the ET35 9.5" wheels, run 265/35/R18 tires, and prepare for a 5mm spacer if need be to clear the inner strut up front. That way you can also run the 75mm studs instead of the 90mm studs (15+mm spacers require the 90mm studs).

Last edited by The HACK; 08-10-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 2
bananabun163.50
Over it24.00
      08-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #16
bananabun
Captain
Rep
Drives: E86 M, E92 M

Thanks! Just got off the phone with Apex, and they suggested the same. I've got 75mm studs already and don't mind 5mm spacers but would like to avoid them obviously.

I'm assuming you went for the ET43 due to price? Those things are crazy value for money right now!
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #17
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabun View Post
I'm assuming you went for the ET43 due to price? Those things are crazy value for money right now!
Yes. Originally was going to purchase a set of SM-10s, but at 1/2 off it's too hard to pass up. Even with the spacers it still cost less than $220 per corner.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
The BEST all around solution might be to go with the ET35 9.5" wheels, run 265/35/R18 tires, and prepare for a 5mm spacer if need be to clear the inner strut up front. That way you can also run the 75mm studs instead of the 90mm studs (15+mm spacers require the 90mm studs).
Minor point but I actually use the 82mm GLS Top studs, which can be used up to a 12mm thick spacer.
      10-18-2017, 12:51 AM   #19
Over it
Mad Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: car

Last Chance...

I bought the second to last set, now I just need an Interlagos Z4 M Coupe to put them on

Seriously, Cash in hand

Carl
808-747-0138
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 10:08 AM   #20
PLCZ4MC
Proud E86M Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe Monaco Blue

Nice purchase! I purchased the exact same set of 4 wheels for my M Coupe. Same Color same Dimensions.
2008 Kawasaki ZX6R Plasma Blue (SOLD)
2008 Z4///M Roadster Space Gray (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:05 AM   #21
tikamak
Captain
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster TiAG/black

How about using 18x9.5 ET22 all around without spacers and with 275/35/18 ?

Would that fit? could give me some details in front and rear ?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #22
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikamak View Post
How about using 18x9.5 ET22 all around without spacers and with 275/35/18 ?

Would that fit? could give me some details in front and rear ?
Will it fit? Probably. The rear on mine right now is equivalent to a 25mm offset, and as you can see in the pictures it's flush. 3mm more towards the outside isn't going to alter the geometry significantly IMO. I've inspected the tires and it does not appear to be rubbing on the outside fender on 275mm wide R-comps.

The front is questionable. It'll give more wheel to strut clearance, but at 3º of negative camber the top is pretty flush with the fender, but the bottom definitely "sticks out". Haven't fully determined what the aerodynamic penalties are but it sure makes for a very balanced car on track with 275s all around. The front now is effectively a ET 28 offset, and between this setup and my usual OEM rear wheels up front, at 9" wide and ET 30 offset, this comes much closer to the front corner where the bumper meets the fender. On on-ramps with bumps in the middle, I can hear the rub up front. It's probably eating through one of the expanding rivets that holds the fender liner to the bumper.
Appreciate 0