ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyzipper View Post
Thanks for the work on this!

RE: If anyone knows how to better embed this data sheet into this post I'll update it

Maybe it's not the sort of embedding you envisioned, but you could link to content in Google Docs, like this.
Done, thanks! I'll leave the link up, and upload a PDF or JPG after everyone proofs the sheet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Could always just take a screen shot and convert to jpg
Yep, I'll use that as plan B if the PDF approach doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMCoupe View Post
Print it to pdf and embed it. I think we are allow to upload pdf files.
Okay, will give it a shot, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
v3.2mc
Not a New Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both hands and both feet

Garage List
2007 ///M Coupé  [10.00]
the data looks good!
great job, all involved.

the only other piece of info that i think would help is whether or not the system has drone, but that may be more subjective and would rely on the individual owner experience; therefore may not have a place in this data set. i'll let you guys, and girl (didn't forget you skelekitty!), decide.

really excited to see the vid now!
#1498E86 | Sepang Bronze | Dark Sepang Leather | Carbon Leather Trim
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #25
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3.2mc View Post
the data looks good!
great job, all involved.

the only other piece of info that i think would help is whether or not the system has drone, but that may be more subjective and would rely on the individual owner experience; therefore may not have a place in this data set. i'll let you guys, and girl (didn't forget you skelekitty!), decide.

really excited to see the vid now!
We're going to owe some beers to our E89 buddy Cris for taking a shot at the videos! Good thing he was a sport and came out to play with us (BTW, his car is wicked fast).

Agreed. It is subjective, but I'm thinking of adding another sheet that will allow people to give impressions on sound externally and system owners to give impressions of drone (none, low, medium, high). I'll offer up that the RE Diablos drone at a high level, especially if you run up/down hills. The Eisenmann Sport + X-Pipe has none (I'm not counting the slight drone at 1,800 RPM--who drives in that RPM range?) I'm pretty sure e for effort will tell you the RPIs have a lot of drone too--but man do they sound good from the outside or in a tunnel!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #26
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Sticky please (once all data is posted).
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #27
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Wish I could have gotten in there. Eisenmann race, Re X-pipe and Gruppe M.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert settings
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #28
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Wish I could have gotten in there. Eisenmann race, Re X-pipe and Gruppe M.
Wish you could have too! It would have been nice to compare your setup to Krissi's (Eisenmann Sport, RE X-Pipe, stock intake). My Diablos are louder and I like them, but I really like Krissi's setup from the cabin better. If the Race makes it a bit louder but without drone it would be the best of both worlds.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #29
crfine88
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86M

Great set-up Ron! Thanks for taking this on. I am really looking forward to the comparisons.

I also think this should be a sticky. Exhaust modifications are one of the first steps for most of us and I think this thread is going to help out a lot. People will be able to make a more educated decision before they buy

Cheers,
CF
      04-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #30
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crfine88 View Post
Great set-up Ron! Thanks for taking this on. I am really looking forward to the comparisons.

I also think this should be a sticky. Exhaust modifications are one of the first steps for most of us and I think this thread is going to help out a lot. People will be able to make a more educated decision before they buy

Cheers,
CF
Thanks Chris!

This was a total Zpost group effort. Gferil did the legwork to set up the meet and took dB readings, AestheticStorm recorded the video, Cris (Flpnout) is editing the video, and I took feverish notes on Gferil's readings and put them in the spreadsheet.

Totally agree this should be a sticky when finished.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:16 AM   #31
mfanatic325
///M-fanatic
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: '01 911 Turbo

In for the fruits of all your labor
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #32
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Hey Fin,

Can you compare your experience and noise level between your car and the car that was all stock except for RPI exhaust? I want to know how much louder RPI is compared to a Rogue.

thanks

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #33
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

RPI is louder. In the Webster Tube (tunnel) with e for effort behind me all I could hear was the RPI. Remember, the dB scale is logarithmic. While the RPI is only a few dB higher in the tests (93 vs. 91 in standing test, 95 vs. 90 in WOT drive by) IRL it's a lot louder.

How important is drone to you? RPI has more drone than the Diablo, but both have a considerable amount of drone.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:56 PM   #34
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
RPI is louder. In the Webster Tube (tunnel) with e for effort behind me all I could hear was the RPI. Remember, the dB scale is logarithmic. While the RPI is only a few dB higher in the tests (93 vs. 91 in standing test, 95 vs. 90 in WOT drive by) IRL it's a lot louder.

How important is drone to you? RPI has more drone than the Diablo, but both have a considerable amount of drone.
Which exhausts are known for being drone free or at least very easy on the drone?

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #35
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Quote:

and i was behind e for effort the entire time (for about 2 hours or so that day). i heart him crusing on the freeway the entire time windows up a/c blasting).

in the tunnel, omg i couldnt hear my own car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #36
gferil
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4MC

Devious, one thing you might want to consider is lining your trunk with Dynamat once you choose your exhaust. It made a huge difference in my system, and brought the drone from "unbearable" to "tolerable". I'm actually going to try and Dynamat some more areas and parts to see if I can dampen it even more.

As for which exhausts drone the least, I've heard that SuperSprint, Remus, and Eisenmann are the best, but also some of the most costly. MRZ07 has a Remus setup on his Roadster so you might want to try and meet up with him to see how you like it.

Also, I hear that a universal Magnaflow system with CC Inserts (Car Chemistry Shop) in the pipes is a cost effective and nearly drone free solution, as well as the Aero Turbine resonator system. Both of those can be had, installed for probably less than $500.

Was there a certain system that you liked the sound of during the 'Fest?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:46 AM   #37
Devious21
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gferil View Post
Was there a certain system that you liked the sound of during the 'Fest?
Before the 'Fest, the only exhausts I had heard (in person), were OEM and Stromung. I liked the Stromung and I didn't want overly aggressive or loud.

Once at the Fest, some of those exhausts were to die for. I really have to start from scratch now. I'll be running up the view count on those videos, once their ready.

But the one major thing I learned (thanks for the info guys ) was that I am definitely buying headers. Coming from an e46, I had basically given up on headers because of all the hassles. It sounds like on the Z4, they are very manageable.

Headers should make it much easier to achieve the deep tone I'm looking for. The Gruppe M is a definite possibility as well. So now the challenge becomes how to tame it so it doesn't get too loud.

|Evolve Airbox - Euro Headers - Strömung Exhaust - H&R Coils - 19" BBS CH-R|
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #38
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Euro headers is a must mod in my mind. Make sure you have a shop that can relocate your O2 sensors to the proper location without throwing a code.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #39
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Euro headers is a must mod in my mind. Make sure you have a shop that can relocate your O2 sensors to the proper location without throwing a code.
Have you had your car smogged (pipe test) since you added Euro headers and relocated your 02 sensors?

It looks like tailpipe testing may be a thing of the past starting in 2013 for MY2000 and newer cars (link) in CA. As long as we show an OBD II readiness and don't have any codes stored we may be okay, depending on how diligent they are on the visual test (would depend on how stock the relocate looks IMO).
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #40
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

I did not need a smog test last year. This was my main concern before the mod. My shop said they done several M3s passing smog was no problem. Just make sure the car is hot before pulling in for the test. They also suggest leaving the headers as is without coating. It will be easier to pass visual inspection. Our cars are so low they can't really see the O2 relocation.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #41
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not need a smog test last year. This was my main concern before the mod. My shop said they done several M3s passing smog was no problem. Just make sure the car is hot before pulling in for the test. They also suggest leaving the headers as is without coating. It will be easier to pass visual inspection. Our cars are so low they can't really see the O2 relocation.
Good to know! I have a set of Euro Headers, I've just been debating on when to add them. My smog test is in June, I'll do it after that to be on the safe side (what's 1.5 months). Next time around it will be the ODB II readiness check only anyway, since the tailpipe test will be history starting in 2013.

I think my only worry will be just how loud the RE will be after all that. I'm going to use Gferil's dynomat approach to tame some of the drone (not worried about weight since I losing the stock mufflers saves a lot of weight).

Can you PM me the name of the shop you used?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #42
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

[QUOTE=Finnegan;11831132].....Next time around it will be the ODB II readiness check only anyway, since the tailpipe test will be history starting in 2013.QUOTE]

Something that I haven't heard, what's up? CA applicable?
      04-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #43
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Good to know! I have a set of Euro Headers, I've just been debating on when to add them. My smog test is in June, I'll do it after that to be on the safe side (what's 1.5 months). Next time around it will be the ODB II readiness check only anyway, since the tailpipe test will be history starting in 2013.

I think my only worry will be just how loud the RE will be after all that. I'm going to use Gferil's dynomat approach to tame some of the drone (not worried about weight since I losing the stock mufflers saves a lot of weight).

Can you PM me the name of the shop you used?
That is a good question. I didn't notice any difference using stock muffler. Maybe a bit louder with Euro headers. You will definitely feel the power difference. Car seem to have better response.

You got PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #44
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=Incompatible;11831795]
Quote:
.....Next time around it will be the ODB II readiness check only anyway, since the tailpipe test will be history starting in 2013.QUOTE]

Something that I haven't heard, what's up? CA applicable?
There was link to the notice on here. I am work and do not have time to search.
Appreciate 0