ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #23
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
So my dashcam recorded the "service" i requested, I brought in my car to check the timing chain and a vehicle health checkup, after i get the car back I was told its turbo whine, whatever, paid the 300$ and went home. Checked the footage, my car sat running idle for about 3 mins and the tech just revved it, listened to it and closed the hood. No visual inspection, no top up of fluids, NOTHING, drove it back out and that was it. 300$ for 5 mins of work seems like a pretty healthy profit margin.

That is why they dont want you to see what goes on.
Appreciate 2
arashir164.00
BigHunk269.50
      06-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #24
CDirks
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E91 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post
So my dashcam recorded the "service" i requested, I brought in my car to check the timing chain and a vehicle health checkup, after i get the car back I was told its turbo whine, whatever, paid the 300$ and went home. Checked the footage, my car sat running idle for about 3 mins and the tech just revved it, listened to it and closed the hood. No visual inspection, no top up of fluids, NOTHING, drove it back out and that was it. 300$ for 5 mins of work seems like a pretty healthy profit margin.

:/

If nothing else, I guess you paid $300 to know how thorough the diagnostic technicians are when presented with concerns that aren't run of the mill. Seems steep for a diagnostic fee regardless of how much digging they did or didn't do imho
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #25
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

My dash cam was disconnected once and remained connected during another service experience. No notification.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 04:45 PM   #26
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

It's not the dealer or service tech's prerogative to disconnect, remove or touch anything in my vehicle without my consent, period. This would be an issue if it occured in my car. If it did happen, then next, I would epoxy the connection then and see if they do something else to the cam. Is really too bad if you don't like it, because if you aren't doing anything wrong, you've got nothing to worry about, no? Isn't that the standard application in regard to surveillance? Lol

They can contact me and inform me that they would disconnect it to avoid the inconveniences of me returning to the dealership to do so, in order for them to work on my vehicle (if they have some policy which forbids dashcams from being operable while the vehicle is serviced).

But don't touch anything you're not authorized to touch, and that is only what's necessary for the service I brought the car in for. Oil change? Don't touch the cam! Have an electrical demon causing issues, well go right ahead... I would have even made a point to let you know any aftermarket electrical work done for you to troubleshoot.

Anyways... My $.02, take it for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:02 PM   #27
evdok
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330D M/SPORT xDRIVE INDIVIDUAL

Disconnecting it I get it but plug the f-ing wire back in when finished.

Evdok

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:39 PM   #28
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
I'd definitely disconnect the camera if I were the technician. I'd leave it disconnected too because I wouldn't want it to appear like I was covering my tracks. I might even wave into the camera before disconnecting just to display a light hearted intention.

There's a cure for this if people don't like it. Go to another mechanic that agrees to keep it connected.
      06-23-2020, 10:26 AM   #29
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMachuca3d View Post

This is answer to OP why it got disconnected.
They don't call them stealership for no reason.