ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
CrazyOneToo
1999 E46, 2002 E53, 2007 E85....all in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0Si Roadster

2007 Z4 roadster wont turn over

Hello everyone. I'm having a no turn over issue with my 2007 BMW Z4 roadster 3.0i. Well....winter hit the area and I knew something(s) was bound to go out soon. Previous owner had a smaller battery (H5) in it when I bought it and today I replaced it with a H7 full size model. After that the car would not turn over. It started ok the night before with the old battery. There was some slight dragging on really cold mornings that I thought might be from the smaller battery due to these cars being rich with electronics. I have strong lights, dash lights, air fan, stereo, etc. When I try to start the car there are no clicks or sounds at the key start position. I tried jumping it in case the new one was low. No change. I tried putting the old battery back in, still no turn over. I tried reprogramming my keys in case it had forgotten them in the disconnect, still no turn over. As far as I can tell my car does not have an alarm/immobilizer. It does flash the lights when locking and unlocking and has a blinking clown nose. But no hood switch or sounds. I checked all the fuses behind the glove box and #32 and #5 are confusing me. The way 5 is made makes it not very checkable and 32 is showing no power. I dont have the fuse card but looking online I found hopefully the correct one. Fuse 5 shows is for the lighter and it works. Fuse 32 is for SMG and I have a 6 speed manual so I am assuming "maybe" all is good there. I'll try to check the clutch switch today but I'm not optimistic.

I'm sure it could be the starter but it seems "odd" it would go out without any major dragging first.

I need my car!!!!

Any other ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:07 PM   #2
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Given your facts I'd check to see if power is reaching starter when the key is turned. If it's getting power, than more than likely it's the starter, if no power, it might be your ignition switch.

A old school test for a starter getting power but not starting is to give it a good tap with something and then try it. If it starts then...it's the starter.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 10:14 PM   #3
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Given your facts I'd check to see if power is reaching starter when the key is turned. If it's getting power, than more than likely it's the starter, if no power, it might be your ignition switch.

A old school test for a starter getting power but not starting is to give it a good tap with something and then try it. If it starts then...it's the starter.
I checked and the starter has power thru the main cable but didn't check it when key is turned to start position.
Would that be the wire(s) on the other side of the solenoid?

When I ran BMW Scanner 1.4 it showed this. Seems like it could possibly be my immobilizer stopping the starter.

-
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:23 AM   #4
Sergio19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
Could be your ignition switch. Turn and hold it to crank then while still in the crank position rotate the key back and forth very slightly - it might catch.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
CrazyOneToo
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio19 View Post
Could be your ignition switch. Turn and hold it to crank then while still in the crank position rotate the key back and forth very slightly - it might catch.
No difference
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #6
ceeyo
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4M coupe

Might be a bad ground.

Grab your jumper cables and attach negative clamp to engine hook and the other end to the negative terminal by the driver side strut tower. If it starts then it's your ground.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

I'm hoping that ceeyo's ground advise cures your issue. It's sound advise given that you removed the power cables to install the new battery.

However, given your code reader output I have a bad feeling that your issues aren't going to be cured with old school methods. In that, it's either the computer or the computer program which is preventing the starter from working.

I basically ran what was highlighted in yellow from your code reader on google and here is what was very like your issue:

https://www.bmwgm5.com/E46_EWS.htm
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #8
Sergio19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
You could try manually engaging the starter by momentarily applying +12V to the solenoid control terminal. If it spins then you know it's good and the issue is upstream.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...-motor/qCNw2b0

Since the starter is buried under the intake manifold, unplug X60556 and apply 12V there.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...0i-roa/SCA14zi
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...i-roa/CT8LMKbB

Goes without saying the car should be in neutral.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:49 PM   #9
mziggy16
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '01 911 C4 Cabriolet

A few months ago I had an issue not unlike what you're describing.

I tried all the things outlined above (replaced ignition switch, etc.) and, in the end, it was the starter. Swapped that sucker out and it fires up strong every time.

Here's the thread