ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-06-2021, 09:47 PM   #1
TRiCC
E86 M Coupe
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Beware my fellow ZPosters!

https://twitter.com/foxla/status/141...330792448?s=10

Im sorry this happened to this civilian enjoying their night…
smdh
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
F'ing assholes!

This is why we can't have nice things!

Hopefully, the police are able to determine the license plate number from this video and other surveillance cameras. They should be charged with attempted murder!

I hope that the driver wasn't hurt. I didn't see a passenger.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 10:23 PM   #3
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
saw that, somewhere in Nashville I think
      07-06-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Here's a link to the Fox11 LA article:

https://www.foxla.com/news/video-dri...to-convertible

"Nashville Police said they’re looking for three suspects whom they believe were inside the white Infiniti G37. They face a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Authorities believe it was a random act.

Meanwhile, Kirby said he has forgiven the people responsible for the incident but he’s at a financial loss. The firecracker burned a hole through his convertible top and could cost $3,000 to get it professionally fixed. He has set up a GoFundMe page to help pay for expenses."

Link to GoFundMe page: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-coli...ource=customer

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 02:55 AM   #5
mmm-five
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC + 2015 320D M-Sport

This is terrible incident, but why does Kirby need to set up a GoFundMe to pay for the damage and any injuries he received?

Isn't that what insurance is for - to cover his vehicle's damage and his personal injury - or is GoFundMe the go to solution for everything these days?

Does Kirby believe it will be written off/totalled and wants to pay privately to avoid this?

(sorry, I'm a bit jaded by all these GoFundMe requests as we are seeing a lot of this sort of thing in the UK...where someone decides to go on an expensive holiday (£10k)...without insurance because it's too expensive (£100)...and then claim poverty on social media & set up a GoFundMe when they end up with a £100k medical bill after falling out of a speedboat or over their balcony when drunk)

Last edited by mmm-five; 07-07-2021 at 03:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
Hawkeye2069.50
jwolf63.00
      07-07-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

I’m a bit wary of gofundme too, but if it turns out to be legit owing to some exclusion clause in the fellow’s insurance, I’d be happy to chip in.

As to the incident itself - a brazen act of total stupidity and disregard for the safety of others that could easily have resulted in tragedy.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

I don't care about the gofund, if it's legit, why not? Ppl can do whatever they want. Even if it was for a crazy decadent vacation and the starter wants ppl to contribute, if some ppl are stupid enough to donate... (again, I'm not saying this one is a scam, ppl can do whatever they want).

Anyway, on topic, that is quite vile, the guy wasn't doing anything to even remotely 'warrant' that assault, just enjoying a night drive...pretty scary how much damage it caused and he could've been permanently disfigured/maimed. Those criminals should get severely punished.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 12:52 PM   #8
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Given the direction the USA is headed is anybody really surprised by this? This was clearly simply a laugh and giggles stunt. Had the people been from a slightly harder group, this could have ended with then rolling down the window and emptying a handgun into the driver and Z4 and again, simply for laughs and giggles.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

That Z looks an awful lot like my own. If it had happened to me up here I would have given chase if I were able to.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 05:08 PM   #10
Our03z4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe,

From the gofundme. Guess I'll chip in a few bucks to help a fellow Z owner. Can't help but think of the kid that bought a roadster from me.

"Hi my name is Kathy and I am fundraising for my son Colin Kirby. On the night of July 4th he was traveling down Church Street in Nashville, TN after the fireworks and a car pulled up next to him at a traffic light. The passenger in the rear seat tossed a large lit firework into his car. Not a little thing that makes a big noise but a large, maybe six inches long, firework, the kind that would make a big beautiful splash across the sky. He was in a convertible and the top was down. It hit him in the back of the head, bounced off and landed on the folded back top. He quickly reached back and picked it up to try and toss it away. It burned him and he dropped it. It blew up then, first a small explosion and then a large, very loud one right next to my son’s head. In the first of the pictures below you can see the damage incurred. You can see in the second picture below that a portion of the damage incurred was right next to where my son’s head is. We are so fortunate that it did not blow up when it hit him in the head and that it did not land inside the car. He or his passenger could have been badly injured and they might have lost their hearing. As it is, his fingers were burned and they still can’t hear well. Colin only carries liability insurance on his car and the entire top of the convertible will have to be replaced. That is going to be quite expensive. The most important thing is he and his passenger are ok. I am still thanking God for that. The dash cam footage came from a friend, Robert Edwards, who was following Colin."
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2021, 06:31 PM   #11
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS1169 View Post
Given the direction the USA is headed is anybody really surprised by this? This was clearly simply a laugh and giggles stunt. Had the people been from a slightly harder group, this could have ended with then rolling down the window and emptying a handgun into the driver and Z4 and again, simply for laughs and giggles.
This actually did happen in Seattle in August 2012, only the Z4M driver was the shooter, and it was prosecuted as a "thrill killing". He was convicted of first-degree murder, and is currently serving a 29 year sentence at the Clallam Bay Corrections Center in Washington State (https://www.doc.wa.gov/information/i...h/default.aspx, Doc #379719). Here's the thread about this. I did a lot of personal research about this and have added to this thread periodically:

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=yancy

Last edited by SD ///M4; 07-07-2021 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 08:47 AM   #12
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm-five View Post
This is terrible incident, but why does Kirby need to set up a GoFundMe to pay for the damage and any injuries he received?

Isn't that what insurance is for - to cover his vehicle's damage and his personal injury - or is GoFundMe the go to solution for everything these days?

Does Kirby believe it will be written off/totalled and wants to pay privately to avoid this?

(sorry, I'm a bit jaded by all these GoFundMe requests as we are seeing a lot of this sort of thing in the UK...where someone decides to go on an expensive holiday (£10k)...without insurance because it's too expensive (£100)...and then claim poverty on social media & set up a GoFundMe when they end up with a £100k medical bill after falling out of a speedboat or over their balcony when drunk)

Not sure about now but when my brother lived in TN insurance was optional. He moved there for a brief time before moving back to NC. He had his learners permit from NC went to TN dmv to get a TN permit and they handed him a TN license instead, no written or driving test, just here you go, not the same way at the time in NC for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Not sure about now but when my brother lived in TN insurance was optional. He moved there for a brief time before moving back to NC. He had his learners permit from NC went to TN dmv to get a TN permit and they handed him a TN license instead, no written or driving test, just here you go, not the same way at the time in NC for sure.
I am pretty sure insurance is required in all states now if you want to drive a vehicle. In this case, as explained above, the car only had liability(which is the minimum required). This was a calculated risk by the Z4's owner knowing it will save money on insurance but any at fault accidents will not be covered. In this case IF they find the individuals who did this maybe their insurance will pay(again, IF they happen to have insurance). This case is interesting as its obvious the driver of the Infiniti didn't throw the firework, but would they be liable since it was their car? How will the insurer of the Infiniti look at this(this of course assumes they carry insurance)? Hopefully we will get more info as time passes and they find these hoodlums.

In my opinion a GoFundMe is a bit premature in this case. The driver decided to go without comprehensive/collision insurance which would have covered this. They don't know if the perps will be found or not. I would be giving the cops a chance to find them first. As of today they have collected 350 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 11:23 PM   #14
graysquirrel
Registered
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i

Looks like they hit their funding goal (after bumping it up to 4K)
Appreciate 0