ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-07-2020, 10:08 PM   #1
ClickAndClack
Rep
Drives: Z4M

BlueBus Install in E86 Z4M

Hello everyone!

I've had a Z4M for many years and have used the AUX cable for playing music, but I saw the BlueBus (https://www.bluebus.dev/) early this year so I ordered one for the car. The BlueBus handles phone calls and music which is what made it appealing to me.

My question is relating to the amplifier on these cars. On other cars (E39), the amp has a coaxial plug which is used for digital audio. I did not find a coaxial plug on the amp in my Z4M. I looked up my audio system in the build sheet and found that it is HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL (S677A). So my question before I button up everything in the trunk, is the pre-wiring (3 pin cable and 6 pin cable) for the CD Changer the best bet for audio quality? Is there no way to use a coaxial connection for better quality? I saw a coaxial cable dangling above the TCU, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #2
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

Coaxial connection to amp is only with Top HiFi Professional DSP radio ....aka... Carver system.
      08-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #3
ClickAndClack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearancediver View Post
Coaxial connection to amp is only with Top HiFi Professional DSP radio ....aka... Carver system.
After talking to Ted (the BlueBus dev) he has made it clear that I don't have the Top Hifi system. In the build sheet, my car is listed as having option S677A (HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL). Is that not the Carver system? Looks like the other two options are:

HIFI LOUDSPEAKER SYSTEM (S676A)
HIGH DEFINITION RADIO (S653A)

Just looking for clarification.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 09:26 PM   #4
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4MC

We don’t have coax for the CD changer, we have the 6 pin connector, and that is what you use for the bluebus.

I have your same audio options (S677A), my car does not have Nav nor the CD changer, but I do have the prep option.

My bluebus is still 2 months away
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
ClickAndClack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maupineda View Post
We don’t have coax for the CD changer, we have the 6 pin connector, and that is what you use for the bluebus.

I have your same audio options (S677A), my car does not have Nav nor the CD changer, but I do have the prep option.

My bluebus is still 2 months away
I ordered in January and just received it earlier this month, but it was worth the wait. Works well for music. Only issue is that people I talk to on the phone say there is an echo. Need to figure out how to remedy that.

Also, are you saying that all Z4Ms don't have coax for the CD changer? Just curious what determines that. Also, it was kind of a pain to rip apart the trunk to get to TCU and pre-wire.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #6
Clearancediver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4

S677 is the top end Carver system. Use the left side radio buttons to "click thru" to the DSP options to confirm you have the proper radio installed.

I have that system and I ran my vin thru a decoder to confirm my build. I also have the coaxial cable input to the amp... which I had to replace. Considering I had to pay over $1K for the silly thing you can be sure I know which system I have as the other non DSP amp is less than half that price.
      08-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickAndClack View Post
I ordered in January and just received it earlier this month, but it was worth the wait. Works well for music. Only issue is that people I talk to on the phone say there is an echo. Need to figure out how to remedy that.

Also, are you saying that all Z4Ms don't have coax for the CD changer? Just curious what determines that. Also, it was kind of a pain to rip apart the trunk to get to TCU and pre-wire.
Yes, what I learned so far is that the DSP coax connection for the CD Digital signal was an old solution (do not know if better), our car the signal is analog from the CD to the head unit, but from there goes to the amp, which does the digital processing. So the end result is a digital output either way.

I am debating using the BB for calls or keep my TCU, which is almost useless as quality is very poor anyway. If you go to the NAM3 forum there is more info there and I think you can tune mic volume to reduce echoing
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2020, 01:33 AM   #8
c41250n
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I've had a Z4M for many years and have used the AUX cable for playing music, but I saw the BlueBus (https://www.bluebus.dev/) early this year so I ordered one for the car. The BlueBus handles phone calls and music which is what made it appealing to me.

My question is relating to the amplifier on these cars. On other cars (E39), the amp has a coaxial plug which is used for digital audio. I did not find a coaxial plug on the amp in my Z4M. I looked up my audio system in the build sheet and found that it is HIFI SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL (S677A). So my question before I button up everything in the trunk, is the pre-wiring (3 pin cable and 6 pin cable) for the CD Changer the best bet for audio quality? Is there no way to use a coaxial connection for better quality? I saw a coaxial cable dangling above the TCU, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Thanks!
Would I be able to play music with it or it can only be used for phone calls.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
maupineda
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41250n View Post
Would I be able to play music with it or it can only be used for phone calls.
it can do both
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 02:36 PM   #10
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
I find this very interesting! I've been using GROM for years but I like the idea of an open source product with a UI.

Questions for those in the know, or who have installed this:
  1. I watched an installation video for this on an E39. Do the few comfort settings also work on the Z? (e.g. locking doors at speed, unlocking doors at engine off, blinker frequency).
  2. Is there an option to connect a phone directly to the BlueBus via USB like the GROM or is it exclusively Bluetooth?
      08-23-2020, 03:31 PM   #11
ClickAndClack
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by koruptor View Post
I find this very interesting! I've been using GROM for years but I like the idea of an open source product with a UI.

Questions for those in the know, or who have installed this:
  1. I watched an installation video for this on an E39. Do the few comfort settings also work on the Z? (e.g. locking doors at speed, unlocking doors at engine off, blinker frequency).
  2. Is there an option to connect a phone directly to the BlueBus via USB like the GROM or is it exclusively Bluetooth?
I have it installed. It was a pain to rip everything out of the trunk to get to the cables. However, it does work well.

For question 1, I don't know that I verified this, but I imagine it should work (the comfort settings). I believe I remember seeing it in the setting menu when setting it up.

For question 2, I believe that answer is no, you cannot connect your phone via USB. Honestly, it works great because it connects every time I get in the car and it makes the car feel more modern. I just need to install the phone holder I have so I can have Android Auto open while driving.

There was one issue that I noticed while using it with the my E39. When using navigation on the phone, the first second or two of every navigation message was cut off. So I would hear "Lincoln Ave" instead of "Turn left on Lincoln Ave". Haven't had a chance to diagnose if it's a BlueBus issue or a phone issue. Using a Pixel 4.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 07:58 PM   #12
koruptor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
There was one issue that I noticed while using it with the my E39. When using navigation on the phone, the first second or two of every navigation message was cut off. So I would hear "Lincoln Ave" instead of "Turn left on Lincoln Ave". Haven't had a chance to diagnose if it's a BlueBus issue or a phone issue. Using a Pixel 4.

Thanks for sharing! It's been years since I've had an Android phone but I may have had the same issue when I was running Google Maps on Android with GROM. So I'm curious if it might be an Android issue rather than a BlueBus issue. Either way, this is good to know.
      08-25-2020, 03:01 PM   #13
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Quote:
I used to have that issue with Google Maps. Turned out to be a setting in the app. Something about how it was delivering sound to the car IIRC.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 03:53 PM   #14
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC

I also have this installed on my car, I love everything it can do. My only wish is that the navigation screen does not pop up every time I touch the forward/backwards button on the steering wheel. I wish the screen would stay down unless I press the button to raise it. That has nothing to do with the bluebus though, it did this before when everything was stock, however I'd use my phone to skip songs which would not trigger the screen to open.

I also love that it enabled the "comfort blinker" and it'll lock the doors at a certain speed, and unlock when I turn the key off. 10/10 recommend.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #15
Dbaliko
Private
Rep
Drives: E85 ZRMR (sold), E46 M3 Cabrio

Garage List
I ordered a BlueBus for my E85MR without navigation. I was told that delivery would be in October. I’m a little apprehensive about the installation. But I can’t wait.

Doug
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 05:16 AM   #16
c41250n
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaliko View Post
I ordered a BlueBus for my E85MR without navigation. I was told that delivery would be in October. I'm a little apprehensive about the installation. But I can't wait.

Doug
Please let us know how the installations goes, I'm interested in ordering one too but i'm not sure where does it connect to.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 04:07 PM   #17
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaliko View Post
I ordered a BlueBus for my E85MR without navigation. I was told that delivery would be in October. I’m a little apprehensive about the installation. But I can’t wait.

Doug

You'll access it from in the trunk. Granted I installed this on a coupe and not a convertible, but I'm sure the cables are in the same location. After removing the carpeting/trim panels, locate the amp. I removed my amp and found the cd changer wires tucked right behind it. It's literally plug and play. I secured the bluebus with double sided tape, and put everything back together. The coax cable doesn't seem to fit/work for our cars. At least it did not on mine.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #18
bwright657
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stw0rldpr0blems View Post
You'll access it from in the trunk. Granted I installed this on a coupe and not a convertible, but I'm sure the cables are in the same location. After removing the carpeting/trim panels, locate the amp. I removed my amp and found the cd changer wires tucked right behind it. It's literally plug and play. I secured the bluebus with double sided tape, and put everything back together. The coax cable doesn't seem to fit/work for our cars. At least it did not on mine.
How much of the trunk trim did you have to remove for the install? Looks like just the battery cover, floor and the wall at the front, but the side pieces stayed in.
      09-01-2020, 12:11 PM   #19
c41250n
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

it looks like you’ll have to remove a LOT of things....
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #20
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright657 View Post
How much of the trunk trim did you have to remove for the install? Looks like just the battery cover, floor and the wall at the front, but the side pieces stayed in.

I removed a little more than I needed to b/c it was my first time doing it. However yes, you must remove the floor covering, battery cover, and back wall piece. The back wall piece has a plastic clip that connects it to the side pieces, so you do have to loosen the side pieces a bit, only where the 2 connect. I also had to remove the plastic trim panels that sit right next to the side window. The middle trim plastic piece at the top does not need to be removed.

I also removed the battery to gain access to the strap that secures the amp in place. You do not need to remove the metal bracket that the the Amp is strapped to. The electric box to the left (not sure the correct name) does not need to be removed. I moved the amp only to gain access to the 2 loose wire connections you'll need to plug into the blue bus.
Appreciate 1
      09-02-2020, 11:16 AM   #21
1stw0rldpr0blems
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c41250n View Post
it looks like you’ll have to remove a LOT of things....
Its totally worth it though, and in retrospect, its was not the most difficult job I've done on this car.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 03:55 AM   #22
c41250n
Private
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stw0rldpr0blems View Post
Its totally worth it though, and in retrospect, its was not the most difficult job I've done on this car.
I think I’ll order the bluebus first, so for the two cables that is now plugged into the bluebus unit, where did you unplugged it from?
Appreciate 0