ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-10-2016, 01:49 PM   #23
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Disconnected my battery for the first time earlier today. When I finished working on the car and parked it, the windows didn't "auto-up" anymore. Oh noes! But wait, I'll check zpost before freaking out about having to pay for reprogramming. Found this DIY, presto! Windows "auto-up" again. w00t!

On thing I'll mention, and maybe it's already in the thread, is that each window must be done individually, i.e. doing one window does not automatically reset the other window.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #24
sikedsyko
Private
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

I'm having some issue resetting the window on the passenger side of the car after a battery disconnect. Got the drivers side working right away, but I've tried the passenger side like 15 times and couldn't get it to work again.

I have a Bav Technic Basic Cable and software, can I reset the auto roll up with this?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:33 PM   #25
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

No. The window needs to find where the top is. You can't tell it that through software.
Make sure the window goes up smoothly and is seating properly in the groove at the roof.
Maybe if it's feeling resistance in an unexpected place it's getting confused.
      09-30-2016, 08:05 AM   #26
themenacedesigns
Rep
Drives: 06 z4M

Anyone know how to reset the option when you put the top up and hold your finger on the button even after its closed fully the driver and passenger windows go up fully?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 09:55 AM   #27
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
No. The window needs to find where the top is. You can't tell it that through software.
Make sure the window goes up smoothly and is seating properly in the groove at the roof.
Maybe if it's feeling resistance in an unexpected place it's getting confused.
I had this happen out of the blue (no battery removal, battery is 1 year old) on me 4 weeks ago. Auto up kept coming down. After 5 tries I held the button to raise the window. Two hours later when I got back in the car it was "fixed".

Gotta love a car with personality.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 09:14 PM   #28
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikedsyko View Post
I'm having some issue resetting the window on the passenger side of the car after a battery disconnect. Got the drivers side working right away, but I've tried the passenger side like 15 times and couldn't get it to work again.

I have a Bav Technic Basic Cable and software, can I reset the auto roll up with this?
Window limits are one of the few things that aren't stored in non-volatile memory in the Z4 so you lose the travel limits any time you disconnect the battery.

I don't think the "auto up" function will work if the down and up limits haven't been set. Setting is a really easy process though.

Start with windows up and doors closed.

Turn ignition on.

Press and hold down driver side* window button in down position and hold for at least 10 seconds after window is down. Pull up and hold up window button until window is up and continue to hold in the up position for at least 10 seconds after the window is up.

Leave ignition on and repeat the process for the passenger side window.

Turn ignition off.

The travel limits for the windows will have now been set and stored, and you should be able to just momentarily touch the window button and have the window go all the way down or all the way up, and the window up function after the top has raised and closed should work again.

*There's not a required order between driver or passenger side. You can do either one first. You also don't have to do both at the same time. You can do either one separately at any time the ignition is in the on or run position.
      02-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #29
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by imz4n View Post
This prosedure will reset the windows limits so that when you open the door the window will drop the 1/4 inch.

- Sit in the car, and put the key in position 1, so you have power to the windows.

- Push and hold down the window switch, and keep it held down for 5 seconds after the window is all the way down. This re-sets the memory, telling the motor, in effect, "Remember where we are now? "

- Roll window back up, and release switch.

- Open door. Marvel at the downward motion of the window. Repeat on other side, if needed.
Follow the procedure and it won't work for me. Plan to have the dealer check it out.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #30
dc_wright
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z43.0si Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboni View Post
Follow the procedure and it won't work for me. Plan to have the dealer check it out.
The procedure you posted is incorrect because it only sets the limit at the window down position and the hold time is too short. Try the procedure in my post above and see if that works before you go to the dealer.
      03-01-2017, 11:25 PM   #31
zamboni
I want to drive a Zamboni
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E93 M3 18 F80 M3 16 K71

Garage List
16 K71 F800GT  [10.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 BMW E93 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
The procedure you posted is incorrect because it only sets the limit at the window down position and the hold time is too short. Try the procedure in my post above and see if that works before you go to the dealer.
After a few attempted finally took it to dealer and they reset the window it worked.

2000 E46,2006 E90,09 E82,13 E93 328i,14 F30 335i,18 F80 M3
My next vehicle would be a Zamboni
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #32
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

I know this is ancient, but I just tried this after trying 2 or 3 other so-called reset procedures I found elsewhere. They didn't work. This works! THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Courtesy of a BMW tech on another forum, ...with thanks.

Initialization is performed on the power window switch of the relevant door.
Requirements for correct initialization:
• Initialization with engine running
• Convertible top, doors and windows closed

Initialization comprises:
• Erasure of initialization
• Reinitialization

An initialization must be performed:

• In the event of malfunctions, e.g. no one-touch control function, no opening or if available no comfort function is possible
• After the power window drive has been replaced
• After work is carried out on the power window mechanism
• After a power supply interruption, e.g. disconnection of the battery or disconnection of the power supply to the door
• After the door window glass has been removed and installed or replaced
• After adjustment work on the door window glass
• After adjustment work on the convertible top
• After replacement of seals

Erasure of initialization:

• Open door window glass fully
• Operate power window switch in "Open" position four times within 10 seconds

This erases initialization of the power window, anti-trapping protection and toll function are inactive.
Check whether one-touch control (toll) function is inactive, otherwise repeat procedure.

Reinitialization:
Avoid a break between the two steps!
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
• Operate and hold power window switch in "Close" position (second switch stage)
• Once the upper end position has been reached, hold power window switch in "Close" position for approx. 2 seconds longer
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #33
imperigal
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

Yes, this is an old post BUT I have a follow-up question. Every couple of days, my Z4C "forgets" how to drop the side glass 1/4" when the door is opened. I have to perform a reset and then it works fine.

Where exactly is that info stored? Where would I start looking for issues? Could it be shorting out? I don't have a battery issue and the car is being driven daily. Is seems that wherever the information is being stored is losing memory.

Any help would be appreciated!

Christine
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 06:06 PM   #34
schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i & BMW Z4 & BMW X3

Exclamation 2003 Z4 E85 3.0 driver's window does not function

My 2003 Z4 E85 3.0 was stored in a farmer's equipment shed for the last six months with a trickle charger maintaining the battery.

Yesterday we successfully drove the Z4 out of storage but have a completely new issue:

The driver's side window is fully up and will not go down.

I can detect a brief pulse feeling when pushing the window switch down so I assume power is getting to window regulator but nothing happens to lower the window after a brief or prolonged press of the window switch.

The passenger side window and the convertible top work just fine. The mirrors work fine.

However, even though the passenger side window goes up and down I do notice it does not drop a bit as the convertible top closes as it had pre-storage.

I 'd appreciate any DIY suggestions to try to restore the up/down functions of the driver's side window prior to going into the dealership.

Thanks for your time/attention.
Appreciate 0