ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #23
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Guilty of this. I need to stop fondling my knob.
I may give the advice, but it doesn't mean I'm not guilty of it either lol
      05-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #24
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Great thread! Wish I knew before what I know now. On a hill, I'd balance the clutch and gas instead of placing the car in neutral and using E breaks. My wife is the one who taught me how to drive a manual.
      05-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #25
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickMon View Post
Guilty of this. I need to stop fondling my knob.
Try resting your right hand on your wifes/ girlfriends/ significant others knee....saves wear on the synchros
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #26
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Great thread! Wish I knew before what I know now. On a hill, I'd balance the clutch and gas instead of placing the car in neutral and using E breaks. My wife is the one who taught me how to drive a manual.
I don't think I'd admit something like What do you mean by balancing the clutch and gas though? Do you mean rocking the car on the hill or lightly holding down the gas pedal while burning out your clutch?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #27
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
Try resting your right hand on your wifes/ girlfriends/ significant others knee....saves wear on the synchros
My wife's only been in the car once for a 3 minute ride when i first bought it. The only time I have a passenger is if I'm driving my daughter to soccer practice. After reading that I noticed I do fondle the knob as well. Now I rest my hand on the leather padding next to the e-brake.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:29 AM   #28
Lightning87
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 2.5i

this thread has to be on a Murica forum haha . in europe we all ( at least the most of us) learn how to drive stick allthoug you see more and more automatics/semi-auto's over here .
      06-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #29
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Many years ago while testing driving an Audi 5000 Quattro, the salesman was a great guy and we were quickly trading jokes. He noticed I kept my hand on the stick often and started slapping it. I think I had sore knuckles by the end of the ride and that was the end of that habit.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #30
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy
Quote:
I don't think I'd admit something like What do you mean by balancing the clutch and gas though? Do you mean rocking the car on the hill or lightly holding down the gas pedal while burning out your clutch?
Yes! Exactly that. Balancing clutch with the gas on a hill. Good thing we don't have any hills around here and I've only done it a few times in the Honda Civic.

Yes, it is true. My wife taught me how to drive manual when I was going to school. It was in a Nissan Sentra. My first car with manual was my Honda Civic. I still have it.
      06-01-2015, 08:06 PM   #31
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
Many years ago while testing driving an Audi 5000 Quattro, the salesman was a great guy and we were quickly trading jokes. He noticed I kept my hand on the stick often and started slapping it. I think I had sore knuckles by the end of the ride and that was the end of that habit.
If a man slapped my hand I'd punch his face.

Quote:
Yes! Exactly that. Balancing clutch with the gas on a hill. Good thing we don't have any hills around here and I've only done it a few times in the Honda Civic.

Yes, it is true. My wife taught me how to drive manual when I was going to school. It was in a Nissan Sentra. My first car with manual was my Honda Civic. I still have it.
That's hilarious. Well hopefully you pick up some good pointers and then teach her how to really drive a stick as others said Still can't believe I've been doing some silly things all these years too.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 04:50 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
You've never sat in traffic after a long/tiring day at work and think "I wish I had an automatic?" If not, then give it another 20 years. You'll probably change your mind when you're 60
Oh God, really? I sit in 15 - 20 miles of Northern Virginia traffic every day and have never thought "I wish I had an automatic." I'm over 50 and have over 1 million miles under my belt, almost all of it in a manual transmission'd car (and motorcycles). The first automatic vehicle I every bought was in 2009; I bought my first car in 1978. In fact when I take the auto to work maybe 4 times a year, my right leg gets tired from having to keep it on the frickin brake pedal. NickyC and I think exactly alike, well except the own a car thing... I need to go to the store and buy food and stuff.

When you've learned on a manual, took your driving test on a manual, and drive a manual for a living (I did for awhile), driving a manual in traffic (or at anytime) is just second nature. Driving an automatic is actually odd to you; and a complete pain in the ass (even before Bluetooth ).
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 06:51 AM   #33
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:

Don't all E85 / E86 Z4's have hill assist as a standard feature to prevent the car from rolling back on a hill, and making hill starts with a manual shift much easier?

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:18 AM   #34
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Don't all E85 / E86 Z4's have hill assist as a standard feature to prevent the car from rolling back on a hill, and making hill starts with a manual shift much easier?
Does it automatically kick in? I've never noticed mine and I even rock my car once in a while waiting for my garage door to open (yes, I know it's bad for the clutch). Pretty sure I've let it roll back about 20 feet once in 1st gear with the clutch pressed all the way in.

EDIT: Just did some searching and it looks like this may have been added in 2006, but there's not much information out there about this "hidden" feature.

Last edited by Twixboy; 06-02-2015 at 08:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #35
Nate4641
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 M Roadster

Garage List
Clutch has to be fully pushed in for the hill assist to work. As soon as you start slipping the clutch and the switch is tripped, the brake lets go.
      06-02-2015, 08:59 AM   #36
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Does it automatically kick in? I've never noticed mine and I even rock my car once in a while waiting for my garage door to open (yes, I know it's bad for the clutch). Pretty sure I've let it roll back about 20 feet once in 1st gear with the clutch pressed all the way in.

EDIT: Just did some searching and it looks like this may have been added in 2006, but there's not much information out there about this "hidden" feature.
Yup - at least on my car, hill assist engages all by itself when I stop on a hill and apply the brakes. I take my foot off the brake and the car stays rock steady on the hill for about 5 seconds, after which it disengages and the car will roll back. And my car is a 2006 so it may be taht it wasn't included on cars before that.

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 09:41 AM   #37
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

^^ pretty sure this is a 2006+ thing, my old 2004 didn't have it

Surprised yours gives you 5 seconds, mine holds for about 1. Just enough to get on the gas and go
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2015, 11:17 AM   #38
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefnjr View Post
^^ pretty sure this is a 2006+ thing, my old 2004 didn't have it

Surprised yours gives you 5 seconds, mine holds for about 1. Just enough to get on the gas and go
Well to be honest, I didn't time it, but its definitely more than one second on my car.

Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 10:50 AM   #39
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I don't think I'd admit something like
I've known more women who drive manuals than men. There's a far higher percentage of women who knows how to drive a manual in the general populace.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #40
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I've known more women who drive manuals than men. There's a far higher percentage of women who knows how to drive a manual in the general populace.
My response was a joke since 99% of car forum members are men, but I don't really know the answer to that question. I actually only know 1 female who can drive a manual transmission (my wife). Small sample size, so I don't think you can base the answer on personal experience. Just in general, I would've thought more men knew how to drive stick because cars are more of a hobby for men than women. To me that's like saying more men know how to use a sewing machine than women do (just an example of another dying art form). Anyway, this was the only statistic I could find. Do you have another source? Now I'm curious.

https://www.google.com/insights/cons...1&grouping=gen

Last edited by Twixboy; 06-09-2015 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #41
trevor
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 and 2001 BMW 515i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCHMOUPE View Post
Funny how we all end up with exes with bad manual driving habits! I had a few of those stories as well.
Well we would like to hear some of them.. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #42
trevor
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 and 2001 BMW 515i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Oh God, really? I sit in 15 - 20 miles of Northern Virginia traffic every day and have never thought "I wish I had an automatic." I'm over 50 and have over 1 million miles under my belt, almost all of it in a manual transmission'd car (and motorcycles). The first automatic vehicle I every bought was in 2009; I bought my first car in 1978. In fact when I take the auto to work maybe 4 times a year, my right leg gets tired from having to keep it on the frickin brake pedal. NickyC and I think exactly alike, well except the own a car thing... I need to go to the store and buy food and stuff.

When you've learned on a manual, took your driving test on a manual, and drive a manual for a living (I did for awhile), driving a manual in traffic (or at anytime) is just second nature. Driving an automatic is actually odd to you; and a complete pain in the ass (even before Bluetooth ).
I am under 25 with over 3 million miles under my belt.. hmm
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:24 AM   #43
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevor View Post
I am under 25 with over 3 million miles under my belt.. hmm
That would mean you drive, on average, ~350,000 miles per year since you started driving at the ripe age of 16.

While it's possible, it's inconceivable. That means, since you started driving, you drive on an average, 1,000 miles per day. Again, while it's not impossible, it's unlikely even if you're a truck driver. It would mean you spent on average, 15 hours a day driving.

I drive more than your average 'Murkin, since even my shortest commute I drive ~35 miles to and from work. Even so, it would take me most of my adult life to accumulate 1 million miles...Much less 3.

While I understand you're just trolling, I failed to see what that F30 guy said that deserves some ribbing.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:49 AM   #44
Twixboy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That would mean you drive, on average, ~350,000 miles per year since you started driving at the ripe age of 16.

While it's possible, it's inconceivable. That means, since you started driving, you drive on an average, 1,000 miles per day. Again, while it's not impossible, it's unlikely even if you're a truck driver. It would mean you spent on average, 15 hours a day driving.

I drive more than your average 'Murkin, since even my shortest commute I drive ~35 miles to and from work. Even so, it would take me most of my adult life to accumulate 1 million miles...Much less 3.

While I understand you're just trolling, I failed to see what that F30 guy said that deserves some ribbing.
He probably made a math error and meant 300,000
Appreciate 0