ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-31-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
EMagnuson
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

my first Blackstone report

I have never done an oil analysis for a car before so this is new to me. The M is a weekend car and does not get a ton of use, last year maybe 3k miles and this year probably closer to 1k, I have been doing an oil change at the beginning of the spring each year not based on miles but the fact that it has been 12 months. I would love to have the opinion of someone more familiar with oil analysis results. to me the calcium and titanium seem high but I have read this may be due to additives in some oils. The oil used was LiquiMoly 10w60. How often do most of you change your oil if you are not putting many miles on the car?

I really appreciate your thoughts on this.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 07 Z4M-181112.pdf (17.3 KB, 179 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:33 AM   #2
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

i'm very similar in annual miles @ 2K per yr; I change oil every March.
      12-31-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
EMagnuson
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the response, I figured once a year was fine I cant imagine that the oil goes bad in a year.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2019, 09:19 AM   #4
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

For an occasional weekend driver, once a year is fine. But it all comes down to vehicle use. For those occasional weekends, are you doing anything more than a spirited drive? (IE autocross, HPDE, etc?)

I only put 5,000-6,000 miles on my M, but tend to do two oil changes a year simply because this car is used for a lot of autocrosses and now will be used for HPDE as well. May be overkill, but an oil change isn't expensive (I also use LiquiMoly 10W60, ends up being about $55ish each time).

Don't forget to also periodically change the other fluids (brake, trans, diff, coolant) in your car as well!

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #5
EMagnuson
Enlisted Member
Rep

JNS_E85 I do an occasional autocross, the most I have done in a year was 2 years ago I attended 4 held by the BostonBMWCCA. The course is about 1 mile long and you get eight runs in most days. I hadn't considered this to be too stressfull on the oil but it may be worth keeping in mind in the future. Part of my concern is that if I dont have a lot of miles on the oil am I getting true readings on the blackstone report? If there is engine wear would you miss it by doing more oil changes?

I also change brake fluid once a year as I hear it absorbs moisture in the air which degrades it. I have yet to flush coolant and have not yet had the differential fluid changed so I will note both of these for next spring.

I appreciate your response.

-E
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #6
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

Given my use, I shoot to change the oil every 4,000ish miles, recommended to me by Blackstone based around your very concern. Am I getting a good sample?

Does mileage dictate wear? To an extent, yes, but not entirely. It depends also on how the car is used. A car that is used only for a very short trip once in a while compared to one that is used daily in a mix of street driving conditions compared to one that only sees performance driving stuff will all have different wear characteristics if measured at the same mileage interval.

Insufficient use (IE not allowing the engine temp to get to operating temp) and hard use (performance driving) can increase how quickly the oil will deteriorate. At bare minimum, the collective wisdom seems to be do an oil change at least once per year.

FWIW, I do about 15+ autocross events a year ranging from 6-15 runs each event April-October and am signed up for 4 HPDEs as well for 2019. As such, I will probably end up doing an oil change in spring and again (if necessary) in late summer

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 0