ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #1
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Thermostat Hose Aluminum Hose Bib Replacement

If you own a E85 3.0si Roadster or the E86 3.0si Coupe with the N52 engine, this DIY is for replacement of the thermostat hose plastic hose bib with the available aluminum replacement part available from Amazon and Ebay, ECS Tuning, or from O'Reilly's Auto parts (expensive).

As the N52 has aged, it has been discovered the plastic hose connector on the cylinderhead-side of the t-stat hose can become weak over time and eventually fail. Most owners discover this while attempting the oil filter housing gasket repair, when they accidentally bump the t-stat hose connector on the front of the cylinderhead and break it. On my two N52's, neither engine experienced a failure, but with the hoses each over 100,000 miles and 8 years old, the plastic hose fitting had become "soft" and probably would have eventually failed.

About a year ago I published a DIY for the E90 to replace the bib. The N52 sits in the E85/E86 chassis a bit differently. With the core support front framing so close the the front of the engine, there is not a lot of room to work from up top as with the E90, so it is better to make the replacement of the hose bib from underneath the car. I wanted to make a DIY specifically for the 1st gen Z4 with the N52.

You'll see videos and other DIYs for this repair that use a dremel tool to cut the hose band off the hose. My opinion is this risks damaging the hose and there is no room to cut the band while the hose is on the car, so the hose needs to be removed from the cylinderhead and thermostat. My technique of breaking up the soft plastic hose connector while it is on the hose does not require removing the hose from the car's cooling system.

I like to make a printable DIY document, so you can print it or work off of your laptop. Hope someone finds this useful.

The part is less than $20 from on-line sources.

A few sources for the part:

O'Reilly's - Rein P/N CHC0609
Amazon - GZYF Automotive Water Hose Fitting, or ExcelFu Automotive Water Hose Fitting
Ebay - Water Hose Aluminum Fitting Replace for BMW 335i 11537541992 11537544638 N54 N53
FCP Euro - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...20group%20%231
Attached Images
File Type: pdf E86 Waterhose Bib replacement_pics.pdf (784.0 KB, 465 views)
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1