ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-11-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
williamr91
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, z4 & 428i coupe

No Heat 2004 z4 3.0i

Hello all, not too active on here, but I'm banging my head against a wall now. It's in the high 20's in Michigan and only going to get colder.

Last week, I replaced the auto trans coolant thermostat and expansion tank. No leaks from the tank. I had the car on ramps, bled the system, I had heat and all was well for about 40 miles. Now I have intermittent heat. At first I thought at idle I had no heat then when I got moving, I did, not it seems to be the opposite. I've bled the system multiple times, no air bubbles.

Today after bleeding yet again and making sure the tank was full, I had warm air, but nothing like heat. Maybe 68 degrees (I have the manual system, not auto climate control so no read out just the color wheel blue, white, red). A/C seems to work, no a/c and in the middle (white) it's cooler air, but when I have it set at max heat its still somewhat cool air.

I've noticed the drivers vent is warmest, the drivers side center vent warm, passenger vents are both cooler.

I know at one point, before doing the tank i had air in the system, the coolant temp gauge would bounce and bounced to full over heat temp and the coolant light came on, parked the car over night and my wife picked me up. Bled the system and didn't have issues for the rest of that day.

The only issues I can see now, is a small drip from the lower hose and on the automatic trans cooler (silver box); but only losing a very little amount...

Any advise as to what to look at, possible other problems, could it be a bad temp sensor that came with the expansion tank (little 2.5in high thermometer thing that plugs in at the bottom).

Thanks all...
Appreciate 0