ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-09-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Improve 1 -> 2 shift

Hey everyone - just put my z4mc away in storage for the winter, which means I can start plotting changes for spring.

Current state is bilstein dampers, eibach prokits, AFE intake; Everything else is stock.
My goal is streetability, with probably 4 road race track days per year on a short local track that I'm guessing would top out in 4th, maybe 5th...

The first thing on my list is that 1 -> 2 shift, which is... tough. I don't have any complaint with the length of the throw, but I'm curious as to what experiences people have changing out various parts of the shifter assembly, and their effect on shift quality.

Difficulty: I know relatively little about the shifter assembly. So...

(1) There's multiple SSKs kicking around - who has experience w/ what?

EDIT - just saw the very detailed autosolutions SSK thread - good impressions that sound in-line with my goals - precise shifting, not much change in throw.

(2) Can anyone comment on the UUC DSSR?

(3) I've read talk about replacing various bushings with Delrin / Turner / ECS parts - but I've never seen a breakdown of the various bushings, what they are, and why replacing any particular one with a solid piece would be beneficial - is there a resource out there that someone could point me too?

Note - race solutions like the CAE shifter or Jafster knob are overkill for me - casually track days and daily driver summer duty are my main things.

Last edited by winnipegz4m; 11-09-2018 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 07:57 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I havent changed the shifter assembly but I found that when I changed the motor mounts (vibra tech, i think is the name) it made a huge difference in keeping the engine and transmission in line for shifting, thereby reducing the slop of going from first to second. Another good change was the transmission fluid. Went to Royal Purple (recommended weight, dont remember anymore) and that helped smooth it out even more.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #3
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep

Thanks for sharing, @mirko - that's the type of insight I was hoping for - how did the motor mounts affect daily driving comfort?

EDIT - how about these "tunable" mounts: https://www.bavauto.com/bmw-motor-mount-pff5-4650bx2

Last edited by winnipegz4m; 11-09-2018 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

No issues with daily driving. From memory there was maybe a tiny bit of NVH but not much. Now with headers, xpipe and exhaust I wouldn't even notice a difference! lol

For track use having the engine not pivot around in the front really helps keep the front end planted, or more predictable. My factory engine mounts were still in good condition, actually still have them so any change wouldn't be too huge for NVH or engine sloshing around but tightening it up did help keep the 1-2 shift more consistent.

no idea about tune-able mounts. they are priced more or less the same as vibra tech and I think those are fantastic. Have heard same for people I know that have them installed.
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Bilsteins & Eibach Pro Kit Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipegz4m View Post
Hey everyone - just put my z4mc away in storage for the winter, which means I can start plotting changes for spring.

Current state is bilstein dampers, eibach prokits, AFE intake; Everything else is stock.
My goal is streetability, with probably 4 road race track days per year on a short local track that I'm guessing would top out in 4th, maybe 5th...

The first thing on my list is that 1 -> 2 shift, which is... tough. I don't have any complaint with the length of the throw, but I'm curious as to what experiences people have changing out various parts of the shifter assembly, and their effect on shift quality.

EDIT - just saw the very detailed autosolutions SSK thread - good impressions that sound in-line with my goals - precise shifting, not much change in throw.

(3) I've read talk about replacing various bushings with Delrin / Turner / ECS parts - but I've never seen a breakdown of the various bushings, what they are, and why replacing any particular one with a solid piece would be beneficial - is there a resource out there that someone could point me too?

Current state is bilstein dampers

[/I]

CAE shifter or Jafster knob are overkill for me - casually track days and daily driver summer duty are my main things.
https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1337346

Bilstein shocks and Eibach Pro-Kit springs are awesome....I'm very pleased with this upgrade.
      11-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #6
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4M Coupe

Garage List
Quote:

Note - race solutions like the CAE shifter or Jafster knob are overkill for me - casually track days and daily driver summer duty are my main things.
The word of wisdom in the forum is that the Auto Solution shift kit is better than the others. I went with that after researching pretty much everything else that looked stock but improved the shifting.

Definitely change the motor mounts. Again the Vibra-tech seem to be the way to go. I can't feel any difference when it comes to transfer of vibration to the cabin.

I would add also transmission mounts since you are going that way.

And since you'll be under there check the giubo for cracks and wear.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep

GPower - thank you - is this the Vibra-technics part?
https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/bmw...l_engines_only
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
jns_e85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '05 X3 2.5i, '06 z4M, '17 M2

There are a lot of ways to tackle the shift feel in our cars. The cheapest and easiest would be a shift knob change. It is amazing how much of a difference a shift knob makes on our cars. (Shameless plug for my MANY reviews of shift knobs thread https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492392)

CDV mod or delete and fluid change (Royal Purple Sychromax for me) would be next. I too noticed a difference with these changes. Both are fairly easy for a humble DIY'er to do, and a shop shouldn't charge too much for either service.

Next would be both engine and transmission mounts. Limiting the slop with better mounts improves shift feel even more, however with a minor trade off in NVH. I went with the VibraTechnics Road mounts and Rogue Engineering transmisison mounts. Small NVH increase, however definitely tolerable most of the time. I will note that if you live anywhere that gets under 30 degrees Fahrenheit and you drive your M, the VT mounts make the car shake a bit and be loud until they warm up from engine heat. This is a more involved DIY and unless you are mechanically inclined, have a shop do it.

Finally, new shifter assembly. I went with the Autosolutions SSK and it is VERY different. Eliminates nearly all of the slop, and feels almost like a gated shifter. I will note your shift knob choice will make a HUGE difference here, depending on your shift feel preference. Again, this involves some more advanced DIY skills (dropping exhaust, drive shaft, etc) and if you are not so inclined, have a shop do it. If you are considering a DSSR, do it at the same time otherwise you will be doing this job again!

At the end of the day, I have found the above mods with the Jaffster delrin shift knob from bimmerworld is just amazing. The best shift feel I have felt in my car by a long ways. No notch, period. However, since the Jaffster kinda looks like a simulated phallus, I run the weighted OEM style knob for daily use, which provides about 80-85% of the shift feel provided by the Jaffster, with minimal notchiness.

Caveat here. Even after all of these mods I still occasionally 1-2 grind at an autocross. It has lessened the occurrences for sure, but it still does happen. At the end of the day, all the modifications in the world will not fix a driver who has an impatient left foot!

2017 M2 - Camber Hubs, MPE, and some other goodies
2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Eventuri CAI / Euro Headers / Stromung / FA 500 / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Gone, but not forgotten!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
GPower - thank you - is this the Vibra-technics part?
https://www.vibra-technics.co.uk/bmw...l_engines_only
Yup.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #10
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep

Let me ask a bonus question - is it recommended to change transmission mounts without changing the motor mounts? I'm imagining if you changed one without the other, it would place stress on the changed mounts... i.e.: if you limit the motion of one part of the drivetrain, you should limit the motion of all parts to a similar degree --- thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2018, 10:38 AM   #11
GPower
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Let me ask a bonus question - is it recommended to change transmission mounts without changing the motor mounts? I'm imagining if you changed one without the other, it would place stress on the changed mounts... i.e.: if you limit the motion of one part of the drivetrain, you should limit the motion of all parts to a similar degree --- thoughts?
Transmission mounts are not expensive. If you or the mechanic is under the car might as well change both.

I tend to collect parts before I put them all on the car. But that's just me. It's a long winter start prep'ing for spring
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #12
winnipegz4m
Private
Rep

Just to close this off - I ordered an Autosolutions SSK and RE Neoprene Transmounts. They'll go in April and I'll post my impressions shortly thereafter.
Cheers and thank you for the advice, everyone!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 02:43 PM   #13
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Just to close this off - I ordered an Autosolutions SSK and RE Neoprene Transmounts. They'll go in April and I'll post my impressions shortly thereafter.
Cheers and thank you for the advice, everyone!
How'd it go?
Appreciate 0