ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-03-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
NickFrance
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 (E85) 2.0

INPA Diagnostic Help (Cable/Drivers)

Hi everyone,

I've recently joined the forum to help a friend with his Z4 (early model E85, 2.0), I've been tasked with getting it back on the road after a less than careful previous owner has let it develop quite a few little faults. Although I have driven it a bit recently and I love it! (thinking of getting my own after finishing his...)

The thing I need help with currently is 4 yellow warning lights on the dash (ABS, Handbrake, Brake and DSC), also has the tyre pressure light (old style sensors) on, but after cleaning the front wheel sensors it has gone off.

I have some general mechanical knowledge, mainly working on MGs and Jags, which leads me to suspect a wheel speed/ABS sensor somewhere being out of order (as mentioned above, cleaning the front sensors has already got rid of the type pressure light).
I haven't had the chance to remove the rear wheels yet and clean/check the rear sensors as the previous owner lost the locking wheel key (of course he did...) and I'm waiting on the order of a new one.

In the meantime I would like to try diagnosing with computer software (INPA?) as I have done previously with my Jags.
I'm not completely new to using a pc with a USB-to-OBD plug but I've only ever managed to get to fired up correctly with my Jag and their software.

I've quickly tried downloading the software and I'm pretty sure it has installed correctly, but I'm having trouble with the cable being recognised.
The cable I have was for the Jaguar software, it's called a mongoose pro, although I'm quite sure it's a Chinese knock-off, it worked fine with the jag, I just had some trouble getting the correct driver for my pc to recognise what the cable actually is.

Firstly, any clues if my cable will be able to work with this? Is there a specific cable needed for BMW/Z4 reading? Any characteristics I should look for?
Secondly, are there any specific drivers I'll need for this to work? Are they specific to the cable or the software?
Lastly, is there any other setting I should be looking for on my pc that might cause the cable to not work correcty? In particular, the guides showed setting "port latency" to 1, but I can't seem to find this setting anywhere on Windows 10.

Sorry for the long post (trying to provide all the background info) thanks so much for helping with this, if all goes well, hopefully I'll be one of you soon!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 06:13 AM   #2
Reborn_
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4MC

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1627114

Maybe something here will help. First thought is to buy a confirmed cable to save yourself time, the amazon ones are cheap.

In win10, type in "device manager" in the taskbar search bar. From there, go to USB devices and find your cable. Go into properties, and the port information should be there.
Appreciate 0