ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #23
jns_e85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 z4 3.0i & 2006 z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
I thought of the same thing and asked OP if he swapped front sway but said he's still on the stocker. But I had this same issue last year and would encounter no brakes every time I lined up to grid for a TT session. It was the worst feeling lmao... how to put in a fast time when you had no brakes 2 seconds ago while trying to line up!?!?
Hmmm, post 5 says H&R 27mm bar....

2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Turner Pulleys / Eventuri / Euro Headers / Section 1 / Custom Stromungs / FA 500 + Camber Bolts / VT Engine Mounts / RE Trans Mounts / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Koni Yellows / Style 224s / AFE / Stromung Exhaust / Z4M Engine Mounts / M3 Trans Mounts / Beisan VANOS / GAS DISA
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 10:15 AM   #24
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M, X3 35i, i3 REx

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jns_e85 View Post
Hmmm, post 5 says H&R 27mm bar....
Lol I didnít check this thread since then but I swear he told me via PM few months before when he first had this issue he was running stock!
      07-25-2019, 08:39 AM   #25
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Yes, 27mm up front.

I'm confused - I took a look at my setup, there is over 6" gap between the end link of the sway bar and the caliper. Even turning the steering wheel 3/4 (more than I ever turn at the track), I still see a large gap. How would it be possible for the sway bar to contact the caliper?

Keep in mind I do have Z4 3.0si, not the M. I'm not sure about the length of sway bars between models.

Enlighten me since I'm running out of options!
      07-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #26
jns_e85
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2004 z4 3.0i & 2006 z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre99gsx View Post
Yes, 27mm up front.

I'm confused - I took a look at my setup, there is over 6" gap between the end link of the sway bar and the caliper. Even turning the steering wheel 3/4 (more than I ever turn at the track), I still see a large gap. How would it be possible for the sway bar to contact the caliper?

Keep in mind I do have Z4 3.0si, not the M. I'm not sure about the length of sway bars between models.

Enlighten me since I'm running out of options!
How it was explained to me was it would not be immediately evident when I had the car in the air, as the positioning of the sway/caliper unloaded isn't the same as loaded.

Really simple to test if there is interference, and how my indy showed me the issue. Go to an empty lot and make sure you have full brake pedal before starting. Take foot off brake and crank the wheel one way full lock and drive a small circle. Return to center and then check the brakes. If the brakes go low, something interfered with the caliper, and if so the likely culprit is sway bar.

2006 Z4M - Epic Tune / Turner Pulleys / Eventuri / Euro Headers / Section 1 / Custom Stromungs / FA 500 + Camber Bolts / VT Engine Mounts / RE Trans Mounts / AS SSK / Arc 8s
2004 Z4 3.0i - Koni Yellows / Style 224s / AFE / Stromung Exhaust / Z4M Engine Mounts / M3 Trans Mounts / Beisan VANOS / GAS DISA
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #27
Michael9218
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Pads too tight

Ok, so here's another idea for you:
Changed out my pads last week. I have found on my Trophy calipers that I have to grind a mill off the top and bottom of the backing plates to fit in the caliper. Otherwise I find that they're a tight fit. As I was doing this yet again, it occurred to me to mention this to you. Could this be the reason you're getting knockback and I'm not? Dunno...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 10:44 AM   #28
dre99gsx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1994 Toyota Supra

Can you provide more detail?
      09-11-2019, 03:28 PM   #29
Michael9218
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

I have found that both Hawk and PFC pads are too tight a fit. When you slip in the pads (with pistons pushed in so plenty of clearance from piston to rotor), have you felt that they were a tight fit? I'm talking about where the caliper has stainless steel inserts at the top and bottom of where the pads slip in. The pad backing plate should be designed to have some play. Maybe yours are binding/sticking. I grind off a about a millimeter at the top and bottom of the pad backing plate with a bench grinder. This allows the pads to slip in without effort.

Initially, I figured it was just an issue with Hawk pads, but now I've verified that PFC and Stoptech pads are also too large/tall to fit properly.
Appreciate 0