ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #67
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Has anyone had multiple pump failures? I replaced the pump two years ago and when we took it out of storage a few weeks ago, the top is inop once again. The windows lower, the latches unlock, then I hear a relay clicking under the dash but no motor engagement. I'm a bit skeptical that the motor failed in two years on a vehicle that is stored and not driven 1/2 it's life, but my BMW service adviser seems to indicate this is a fairly normal lifespan for the new motors!

Thoughts?

Edit 6/20/2019:

I did some electrical testing and the motor is getting power, so out comes the top again. After removing the top and cutting all the caulking away from the motor housing I found the rusted remains of my motor. Apparently my sealing skills two years ago were not as good as I thought they were. I've learned my lesson. I have a new motor on the way (damn these things got expensive over the last two years) and I'm definitely relocating it to the trunk. Thankfully it looks like the actuators and lines are still intact and not leaking. After wire wheel cleaning all the rusty metal with a dremel, I plan on adding quite a bit more POR 15 rust preventative paint to the surfaces of the lines and actuators to help prolong their life and prevent future corrosion. The surfaces I coated two years ago with POR 15 are completely rust free now.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rotzy; 06-20-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #68
BabygirlsZ4
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW Z4, 2008 BMW 550i

Old thread... new member...
Buttons work. Blinks red until locked in up or down position.. Micro switch works.. Motor runs.. Red tab does nothing in or out.. We can still move it manually either way with ease.. top just wont move on it's own once unlocked... We bought a motor hoping it was just weak but.. Not so sure now.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #69
Rotzy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15, 2015 F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabygirlsZ4 View Post
Old thread... new member...
Buttons work. Blinks red until locked in up or down position.. Micro switch works.. Motor runs.. Red tab does nothing in or out.. We can still move it manually either way with ease.. top just wont move on it's own once unlocked... We bought a motor hoping it was just weak but.. Not so sure now.
It could be a leak. If the motor runs but nothing happens, it is probably low on hydraulic fluid (or empty). Also, it should not be easy to move manually with the bypass tab in the normal, non-bypass (ie. "in") position. This too points to a leak.

I was able to remove the top from the car in just over an hour the other day. This is probably the only way for you to diagnose the issue.
      07-28-2019, 09:10 AM   #70
Mohleri
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

Source for Z4 convertible top special bolts?

Anyone know a good source for buying the specialized torx bolts for Z4 (2004) convertible top hinges? I have several bolts that are close to being stripped out from repeated repairs done. I've looked on several OEM parts sites but none go to that level of detail.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2019, 09:42 PM   #71
Donkman
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4

Garage List
Hi Jeremy, Thanks for your input and I have one question. Did you remove the roof completely or go thru another way? What set of instructions did you follow? I tried to go thru the trunk but gave up.

Don Ketz
Pinckney Mich.

Last edited by Donkman; 10-19-2019 at 08:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2019, 09:40 AM   #72
upanther
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4, 2005 Nissan Titan

This is a great post. I realize that I don't need to respond with this, but I'm having this problem and it gives me a great starting point. Plus I'm new to the forum, and have to reply to a post at least once to be fully accepted. So this works!
Appreciate 0