ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3si

cigar lighter socket is hot with key off???

I am a new bmw owner. Never owned one before.

My cigar lighter jack is always hot even with key off. Is this normal with bmw???

Also, When I connect charger using cigar lighter socket for my ipod, it make a big "pop" sound through speakers. Same thing happens when I try to connect AUX line to ipod. Is this normal with z4? or is something wrong???
Also when I play ipod through AUX connection, there is constant background noise. Any advice???
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Yes...cigarette lighter socket is always hot. Unfortunately, the Z4 doesn't have a socket for a flashlight, which is switched off with the key Otherwise, you can get an adapter for that and use that if you want switched power.

No background noise through the AUX for me. I don't have an iPod, so...can't comment on that.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

The background noise--is that with the iPod plugged into the charger or just connected to aux only?

My iPhone through aux only (not charging) is fine. Haven't tried while charging. I suppose you could get alternator noise on the line in that way?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
speddmn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 05 3.0i

Just to make sure you're getting the right advice - you're saying hot as in 12v never shuts off right? If it's temp hot you probably have a grounding problem...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
The background noise--is that with the iPod plugged into the charger or just connected to aux only?

My iPhone through aux only (not charging) is fine. Haven't tried while charging. I suppose you could get alternator noise on the line in that way?
I have to check on that. Can't remember right now.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by speddmn View Post
Just to make sure you're getting the right advice - you're saying hot as in 12v never shuts off right? If it's temp hot you probably have a grounding problem...

No not high temperature. I was saying hot as in '12v power presented'. Good to know that it's not an electrical problem.

BMW is a lot different than other cars.

When i opened the hood first time, I was like, "heck, where is battery and oil dip stick??" :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
thelinux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post

I checked it. It hasppens only when the charger is connected. Any ideas???
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #8
SCHMOUPE
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelinux View Post
No not high temperature. I was saying hot as in '12v power presented'. Good to know that it's not an electrical problem.

BMW is a lot different than other cars.

When i opened the hood first time, I was like, "heck, where is battery and oil dip stick??" :-)
LOL make sure you never get a Porsche then! I hear those cars don't even have an engine

Gruppe M CAI / Euro Headers / Rogue Engineering X-pipe / RE Diablo Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
RichardTS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 & Z4 M

Quote:
I am a new bmw owner. Never owned one before.

My cigar lighter jack is always hot even with key off. Is this normal with bmw???

Also, When I connect charger using cigar lighter socket for my ipod, it make a big "pop" sound through speakers. Same thing happens when I try to connect AUX line to ipod. Is this normal with z4? or is something wrong???
Also when I play ipod through AUX connection, there is constant background noise. Any advice???
All real cars (read older) have always hot cigarette lighters. With a hot cigararette lighter you can buy an A/C adapter that gives a little more than 12 VDC at about 500 mA, put a cigarette lighter power adapter on the lead and have a great trickle charger. Just don't go too high on the mA output.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #10
brock5ga
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i

Quote:
I checked it. It hasppens only when the charger is connected. Any ideas???
I use my Android through the Aux input and if I connect the charger, I also get the background noise. I believe it is from the magnetic field from the charger built into the phone, as I also get it in my pickup running through an RF Transmitter, only when charging. I ended up purchasing a spare battery and an external charger for the phone.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
you want something like this to filter the noise.

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-Ground-Iso.../dp/B001EAQTRI
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #12
snowmirage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I have this same problem, even with an inline filter such as the one linked above I still get the same noise its slightly diminished but still there enough that I don't want to listen to anything on that input while charging.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I discovered the hard way that the lighter socket is hot all the time. I had a Belkin USB converter that I had been using in my wife's 335is in the socket under the glove box. I would use it to power my phone when I was a passenger in her car. I just left it plugged into the socket and I didn't have any problem since that socket has power only when the ignition is on.

When I bought the M Roadster I transferred the charger to my car. I left it plugged into the lighter socket and with the constant power it got warm and essentially melted the glue and it came apart. I'm glad it didn't start a fire!

Appreciate 0