ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Collar Nut becoming loose on Wheel Bearing?

Hey guys.

Some of you may know, I've had trouble trying to diagnose some wheel shaking issues associated with my front right wheel (which is now starting to occur on the front left as well). You can shake the wheel at 12'oclock and the wheel will move while bolted to the hub.

I took it to BMW last year and they replaced CAs and bushings.

I as able to get it into BMW again, and after showing them the issue (after they told me it was fine and couldn't replicate the issue) (and where the 'master technician' said the wheel shaking could be normal) they got it back up on the lift and started to actually look for the issue.

After having the car for 16 hours, something I'm not very happy about I had to call them and get an update.

The SA told me that their idea is that the collar nut could not me torque'd to spec, and could contribute to the shaking. Of course instead of just simply torquing it and finding out...they need to check with CPO to see if it is covered (which I don't see why it wouldn't be).

Anyways, as I wait for another day, I begin to wonder if this could actually be the source of the issue. They told me that they do not believe the wheel bearing is at fault...but I don't trust a damn thing they say anymore since they thought the car was perfectly fine when they couldn't "replicate the issue"

Thoughts appreciated

Last edited by Kgolf31; 06-11-2013 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0