ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Engine start kill switch

Anyone ever did a engine kill switch, so basically no one can drive your car..

my fking bil wants to take my car while im not around. its a fking no but since my mil in law lives with me, he can just come around while i'm at work and grab the keys

I'm going to start hiding the keys but still.. haven't a kill switch would be fun also. Ideally I want everything working but just wont start as in accessory mode, lock and unlock door with remote, just no engine start..

lmk any ideas
      10-09-2019, 04:45 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

You would have to tap the kill switch into the starter circuit. Not sure I would want to start pissing around cutting into the starter harness.
Here’s an idea, tell your damn BIL to stay away from YOUR property. Does he know what GTA means?
Taking a vehicle without the owners consent is against the law.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 1
      10-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z4M Coupe

You could also install one of those OBD tracking devices, which alert you how/when the car is driven or just take the set of keys with you. Less of a mess than rigging up a kill switch.

I would also just talk to your BIL that you're protective of the car and don't like anyone else to drive it. It's annoying and a bit awkward, but I had a similar issue with my cousins.
Appreciate 1
      10-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #4
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

he's one of those aholes where i over heard him said something like why did I change the front door locks, as if he was coming by when i'm not home.

nest door bell took care of that.. ill know if he drops by.. yeah im gonna start locking up the keys in lock box.. I started to unplug the battery so that it wont start at all.. but its a hassle every time when I want to use it, I gotta screw it back in.. lol
      10-10-2019, 01:27 PM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If you drive to work in a different car, keep the keys to the Z4 locked-up in the glove box of the other car. That way, you are always in control of the keys, and BIL can't access them.

And if there is a risk that someone could steal your alternate car and you would lose the keys to the Z4 altogether, then assuming that you have two Z4 keys, store the spare key elsewhere, like locked in your desk at work or somewhere that BIL can't get it, but you can.

You should also advise your wife that you married her, not BIL, and that effing with a man's prized Z4 is a major no-no and could result in a claim on his dental insurance, if he has any.

It took me a while to figure out what a BIL is. And then, like a ray of sunshine, it hit me - Bastard In Law.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 10-10-2019 at 01:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #6
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Yes, he's bastard in law
      11-01-2019, 09:53 PM   #7
Sergio19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4MR

Garage List
Disconnect the starter positive lead (carefully!) from the distribution block in the engine bay if you're gone for a while.

You can wire the kill switch in series with the starter solenoid, which is the smaller terminal on the starter. A 1/4" ring terminal will fit.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 08:25 PM   #8
Cyclops
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 E91 328i & 07 E86 M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
Anyone ever did a engine kill switch, so basically no one can drive your car..

my fking bil wants to take my car while im not around. its a fking no but since my mil in law lives with me, he can just come around while i'm at work and grab the keys

I'm going to start hiding the keys but still.. haven't a kill switch would be fun also. Ideally I want everything working but just wont start as in accessory mode, lock and unlock door with remote, just no engine start..

lmk any ideas
2007 #1432 ///M Coupe Silver Gray - KW V3 Coilovers - AFE Intake - Strong-Strut Brace - Status Grupee Headers - Super Sprint Race Exhaust & Xpipe - 19" Avant Garde M359 - Stoptech 380 6 pot BBK - EPIC Motorsports Tuning ////////////2009 328xi M-Tech E91 manual 6spd

- Instagram ->@e91kiter
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
WickedNy
Get Some
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
07 z4 3.0si  [0.00]
Back in 2000 drove a showcar riced our civic, wherever I went, I disconnected the relay assembly...3x failed attempt to steal the car.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2019, 01:15 PM   #10
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

I forgot to post what I'm doing. I bought a cheap key off ali express, 9 bucks, going to program it to unlock and lock door but i believe without the transponder programming, it wont start. Ill look the original key and leave the fake one around. If it doesn't start, ill be like must have broke..
      12-03-2019, 09:50 PM   #11
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Btw I bought a ak90 programmer.. can program keys now.. lol