ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #1
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 BMW X3 30i-'11 BMW 128i

Garage List
ST Suspensions coil over kit installed on my '03 Roadster

First off, I didn't do a how-to install since many others have done them (and better than I could have done). I did however read everything I could find, and ended up asking ANUSTART some questions since he just went through a similar install, to which he quickly replied and provided some top-notch answers regarding getting to the mounts in the trunk(thanks again, and that's why this forum is the best place for answers).

I purchased the ST Suspensions coil over kit for my 2003 2.5i with 74k miles on the clock, and needless to say, the OEM dampers were toast. After exploring several options including replacing with OEM parts, I figured that for a few bucks more (literally, the OEM parts were $$$), I would go the coil over route and went with the ST kit. ST, as most of you know, is the KW Suspensions offshoot brand (like Tudor is to Rolex) and while quality built, doesn't use quite the same types of materials to construct, but are still very decent in their own regard. In fact, when I contacted ST with questions regarding fitment with the sport suspension on my Z4, the call went through the KW customer service dept., and they were very helpful. Oh yeah, I also installed the Rogue mounts for the rears, and they are worth every penny. I went with OEM for the strut mounts since the orig. ones were also toast. The ride is really not bad, although a tad bouncy at low speeds, but firm and better than what I had before at higher speeds. I'm sure once they settle in, it will be better. Spacers may be the next addition to move the tires out a bit and fill up the wheel well better. Thanks to the forum and to those who have gone this route before us for the consistent and reliable info contained therein.

Anyway, here is the end result...

This one shows the ride-height a bit better.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
Looks good! Are you going to do a stud conversion, or get extended lug bolts?

VF Engineering Z4 3.0i, ESS Z4M, G-Power Z4M, 996 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Good question. I haven't thought that through just yet. What would be the best option?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

congrats, looks good! And kudos for tackling it yourself. I want to hunt down the engineer that designed the trunk interior. what a pain!

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
dharper
BMW CCA Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
congrats, looks good! And kudos for tackling it yourself. I want to hunt down the engineer that designed the trunk interior. what a pain!
Thanks! I hear you about the trunk. It really wasn't that bad, though.
I don't mind tackling most of the stuff on my cars, unless it involves any sort of coding or computer-work. I installed new control arms/ball joints and front control arm bushings last year before putting the car up (unfortunately I live in Michigan currently so the car is hibernating December-March usually) and have done this type of work on previous cars so I knew what I was getting into. Having a compressor and air tools sure did make the job easier. This car isn't anything special (like an M), but it's paid for and I enjoy being able to drive it and work on it.
Appreciate 0