ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
daveysew
Second Lieutenant
daveysew's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: '05 Z4 3.0 SC / '91 318is
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Help with Z4 Stock Radio

Hi All,
I'm the new guy here looking for some advise...

I've got a canadian model 2003 Z4 with premium sound (DSP) but no stock CD changer. I've recently installed an ice/Link ipod adapter from eas. Power's up gives me the Dension logo on the ipod and begins to charge it. However the head unit doesn't recognize a cd changer (ice/link unit) connected. I've taken the vents outo and pulled the radio, there is a single coaxial cable connected to the lower left (when looking at the back) that I assume goes to the CD changer and there is a wiring harness (loom) connected in the upper right (again while looking from the back) that I assume goes to the amp. There are also what looks like 2 empty slots that a harness could be plugged into below it. I've look in behind the dash for any loose or not connected wires or harnesses and can't find any. Is there a specific a connections I'm missing?

Thanks,
dave
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 12:16 AM   #2
Waldorf
Black Opps field agent
Waldorf's Avatar
Canada
31
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: 135i M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YUL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
is it possible that the dealership has to enable the CD changer function in the computer?

i read that somewhere
__________________
-------------------
:rocks: Montreal to Vermont OktoberFast cruise. :rocks:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79557
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #3
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
4
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysew View Post
Hi All,
I'm the new guy here looking for some advise...

I've got a canadian model 2003 Z4 with premium sound (DSP) but no stock CD changer. I've recently installed an ice/Link ipod adapter from eas. Power's up gives me the Dension logo on the ipod and begins to charge it. However the head unit doesn't recognize a cd changer (ice/link unit) connected. I've taken the vents outo and pulled the radio, there is a single coaxial cable connected to the lower left (when looking at the back) that I assume goes to the CD changer and there is a wiring harness (loom) connected in the upper right (again while looking from the back) that I assume goes to the amp. There are also what looks like 2 empty slots that a harness could be plugged into below it. I've look in behind the dash for any loose or not connected wires or harnesses and can't find any. Is there a specific a connections I'm missing?

Thanks,
dave

Did you connect the Ice/link using the connectors in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
Waldorf
Black Opps field agent
Waldorf's Avatar
Canada
31
Rep
449
Posts

Drives: 135i M
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YUL

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
i thought that in a Z4 it was in the compartment behind the seats.
__________________
-------------------
:rocks: Montreal to Vermont OktoberFast cruise. :rocks:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79557
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
4
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldorf View Post
i thought that in a Z4 it was in the compartment behind the seats.
it can be done either way, if he connected it via the trunk there is no reason to remove the radio, if he is getting power and the logo, he probably doesn't have the correct second connection.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
daveysew
Second Lieutenant
daveysew's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: '05 Z4 3.0 SC / '91 318is
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Could be I've got a wring connection to the head unit, but the 3-pin and coaxial wires were bundled together in behind the firewall accessed from the truck. Maybe it was a bad idea to just assume the wires I need would be bundled together. From the information I got from Tom @ eas I've got the correct 3-pin harness, I just assumed that there was only 1 coaxial connector back there. Before I go ripping again does anyone know if there are multiple coaxial connectors behind the firewall?

Or does the stealership need to do something to the head unit to activate the cd changer (ice/link) function?

Thanks for the help...

dave
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #7
Aebous
The Rambler
Aebous's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
157
Posts

Drives: 03 3.0l Z4 sports package
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to Aebous
I really need to get that radio manual.

Hey wait, does DSP mean you have premium sound?
__________________
"Without engine maintainers pilots are nothing but pedestrians with cool leather jackets and sunglasses"
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet" -Marine rule of gunfighting
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 07:01 AM   #8
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
4
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveysew View Post
Before I go ripping again does anyone know if there are multiple coaxial connectors behind the firewall?

Or does the stealership need to do something to the head unit to activate the cd changer (ice/link) function?

Thanks for the help...

dave
There are multiple coaxial connectors in the trunk, the wires you are looking for are usually stuffed down in the cut-out behind the compartment where the cd-changer would be mounted (its been over a year since i installed mine) one of the coaxil connectors is for the help/sos feature. No, the dealer does not have to activate anything. I took a picture or 2 when i installed mine i'll see if i can post a picture to help.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #9
ZEEFOUR
Private First Class
4
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 03 Z4 3.0i, 03 MB E55 AMG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

i found the picture, zoom in a bit and you will see the connections. look to the left at the bottom and you will see two additional coaxial connections that should not be used. Also, if you tap into the purple/white wire, power to the icelink/ipod is turned off when you remove the key, other wise you run the risk of the unit running constantly and draining the battery. Hope this helps
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 04:32 PM   #10
daveysew
Second Lieutenant
daveysew's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
295
Posts

Drives: '05 Z4 3.0 SC / '91 318is
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

That looks pretty much like my set up, the coaxial connector I'm using was zip tied together with the 3 pin harness. Looks like it's time to go hunting for another coaxial...

thanks for the info
dave
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
BimmerZealot
Major
51
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (2)

Can someone tell me how to hookup an icelink via behind the seat as opposed to the trunk? Or an easy way to pull out the carpet? Thanks
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59 AM.




zpost
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST