ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
M Coupe just died

On my way to Bavarian Autosport Show and Shine. I was driving at about 55mph and the car just died! WTF?
pulled the code reader PEAKE and these are the codes:
2A17: DMTL Diag. Module tank leakage, system failure
2FDA: crankcase vent , system check
Stuck on the side of the road waiting for Roadside
HELP
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
pokeybritches
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: ESS/G-Power Z4M, VF Z4, 996tt

Garage List
2006 BMW Z4M  [10.00]
2006 BMW Z4M  [8.50]
2003 BMW Z4 3.0i  [9.00]
I googled it and got some very generic answers. This seems to be the best one regarding the 2A17 code:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-461307.html

"What exactly does DMTL pump do?
The DMTL (Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage) pump tests the fuel tank and fueling components for leaks by slightly pressurizing the fuel tank and evaporative components. The DMTL pump contains an integral DC motor which is activated directly by the ECM which then monitors the pump motor operating current as the measurement for detecting leaks.

Basically, it's an emissions device. As they crack down on hydrocarbons from fuel vapors, gas stations have added various forms of vapor reclamation systems on their fuel pumps and auto makers are adding fuel systems that self-test to detect leaks."

For 2FDA: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=371829

"...the cause can be a damaged or disconnected air supply line. (This cable is located directly on the engine block and it connects the intake bridge with the engine section on the opposite side). This air supply line is to be checked for leak-tightness if any fault occurs!"

I say do a general check of the hoses under the hood and make sure your gas cap is on tight. I'm not sure what else you can do right now.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

did someone do anything to the car recently? a hose may be loose causing the problem
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Thanks for responds guys! We checked a few things but nothing obvious. Had it towed to the dealer in NH. Will have to drive 160 miles back tomorrow to take care of it. Oh well, it is still under warranty so hopefully they will take care of it.
Mean time, trying to enjoy some great cars at Bavarian Autosport Show and Shine!
Will post with what happen tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoa View Post
did someone do anything to the car recently? a hose may be loose causing the problem
No, nothing have done to the car; just fluids changed about 3k miles ago. It was running perfectly find the entire morning trip of over 150 miles (with perfect New England weather).
I guess i just have to wait until tomorrow and talk to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #6
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Man, I hate to hear stories like this. I hope everything turns out ok.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Yikes, hopefully it is an easy fix and nothing is wrong. Sucks you had to miss the meet as well!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #8
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me. The dealer is in New Hampshire (200 miles from Connecticut) so i can't even go there (just playing phone tag with them).
Hopefully just something simple and no major damage! I will file a complaint with BMW of NA and NHTSA once i find out what happened. It was pretty scaried to loss all powers and abilities to control to the car (even at 50 mph). It could have been worst! I wondered why the car did not go into some kind of "Limp Mode" so I could at least coasting and pull over.
By the way, we were able to attend the show and had a pretty good time at Bavarian Autosport
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Still waiting for the dealer to get back to me. The dealer is in New Hampshire (200 miles from Connecticut) so i can't even go there (just playing phone tag with them).
Hopefully just something simple and no major damage! I will file a complaint with BMW of NA and NHTSA once i find out what happened. It was pretty scaried to loss all powers and abilities to control to the car (even at 50 mph). It could have been worst! I wondered why the car did not go into some kind of "Limp Mode" so I could at least coasting and pull over.
By the way, we were able to attend the show and had a pretty good time at Bavarian Autosport
File a complaint? This sounds like a rather unnecessary and litigious response. What do you expect to gain from this? Your car is under warranty and BMW is going to fix your car free of charge and I assume they paid for your tow and alternative transportation. That pretty much covers the car manufacturer's responsibility. Is there some other agenda that you plan to carry out here? Why would you involve NHTSA--especially since you don't even know what went wrong yet? Unless the problem with your car is one that has been pervasive across other similar BMW's AND BMW is well aware that the problem exists, I think you are just wasting your time. This is the first I've heard of one of the M coupe's doing this. I've seen M54 engines have a CPS go out which can disable the car but that's it. My guess is that it will be some sort of electronic sensor like this and once it's replaced, you'll be back on the road very soon. Good luck.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #10
acvr4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3.0Z4,VR4,Vehicross.Touareg

Bummer man - Hope everything goes welll
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhughett View Post
File a complaint? This sounds like a rather unnecessary and litigious response. What do you expect to gain from this? Your car is under warranty and BMW is going to fix your car free of charge and I assume they paid for your tow and alternative transportation. That pretty much covers the car manufacturer's responsibility. Is there some other agenda that you plan to carry out here? Why would you involve NHTSA--especially since you don't even know what went wrong yet? Unless the problem with your car is one that has been pervasive across other similar BMW's AND BMW is well aware that the problem exists, I think you are just wasting your time. This is the first I've heard of one of the M coupe's doing this. I've seen M54 engines have a CPS go out which can disable the car but that's it. My guess is that it will be some sort of electronic sensor like this and once it's replaced, you'll be back on the road very soon. Good luck.
I should have used the word "report" instead! And i did say after i find out what wrong with the car! Not looking to gain anything out of this. Just want to know what went wrong and have it fixed. How do you like it if you were driving at 50mph and the car just shut off and have no abilities to control it? I got lucky that my buddy was right behind me (otherwise i would had some serious trouble). Better yet, how do you like it if you was on a major highway and that happened to you?
By the way, BMW Roadside refused to have the car tow back to CT. I was left with no choice but to leave my car at some unknown dealer, 200 miles from home. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer about the car.
How do you like that and what would you do?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 06:03 PM   #12
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

Wait, did you try restarting it?
      10-04-2010, 08:04 PM   #13
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
I should have used the word "report" instead! And i did say after i find out what wrong with the car! Not looking to gain anything out of this. Just want to know what went wrong and have it fixed. How do you like it if you were driving at 50mph and the car just shut off and have no abilities to control it? I got lucky that my buddy was right behind me (otherwise i would had some serious trouble). Better yet, how do you like it if you was on a major highway and that happened to you?
By the way, BMW Roadside refused to have the car tow back to CT. I was left with no choice but to leave my car at some unknown dealer, 200 miles from home. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer about the car.
How do you like that and what would you do?
No ability to control the car? I thought the engine just quit. Are you saying that your brakes and steering also failed? I didn't think so. There is no doubt you were surprised and irritated when your engine shut down while doing 50mph. However, unless you were in the middle of passing someone on a two lane road, you still should have the ability to move your car over to the right and pull off the main road. I understand you still don't know what happened but regardless of the outcome, it hardly warrants filing a complaint/report with the NHTSA. Glad you made it ok.

To O-Cha's point, since the problem appears to be electrical, did you try to disconnect the battery and reattach to see if it reset anything?

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #14
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Sounds to me like the engine lost the ability to combust. Either it wasn't getting any air or any fuel.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Yes, i did try to start the car several times but it did not turn over. We were on a very busy two lanes road (with know breakdown lane). Since our cars still have hydraulic steering, it was like trying to turn an old school tractor (standing still). I had to pump the brakes several times to get the car to stop.
Since,we were going to a BMW (and Mini) Event, there were quite a few people with lots of knowledges but no one could figured out why the car behaved in such a way. Anyway, those we the codes we got with the PEAKE Scanner. We also, checked all fuses, hoses/cables connections. We stopped short of resetting the ECU because we want the dealer to see the codes.
Anyway, all i am saying is that i am not sure what happened! It could be something just got disconnected or bad sensors. It seem to be emission related, and if that was the case then the car should be on "Limp mode" so the driver could slow down and safely pull over.
Anyone wants to know what it feels like, drive your car on a very busy road then ask your passenser to turn off the car without telling you (just kidding)
All seriousness, i hope it nothing major! And the reason i want to report it so maybe they could look into it (i dont think the dealer would care how it happened)
Thank you for the inputs.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #16
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Phoenix - keep us updated as to your progress on this. I need to move my service to one of the NH dealerships. Did your coupe go to Nashua or Stratham? I need to decide which of those will take over servicing my ///M roadie. I've visited both and not been real impressed with either - you having your car there for an entire day with no call would certainly bother me in the same situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #17
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Wow, my car has been at the dealership for 2 full days now and they have not even do the diagnostic on it yet. Spoke to them 3 times today and they promised that they will get it done today! I am a very patient kind of guy but this is just fucking ridiculous
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #18
jrich4411
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 ///M black on black

Quote:
Wow, my car has been at the dealership for 2 full days now and they have not even do the diagnostic on it yet. Spoke to them 3 times today and they promised that they will get it done today! I am a very patient kind of guy but this is just fucking ridiculous
Nashua or Stratham?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
Sounds to me like the engine lost the ability to combust. Either it wasn't getting any air or any fuel.
Finally got my car back after 4 days at the shop! They could not find anything wrong with the car. They believed i was running low on fuel (and somehow the pump lose its prime).
I am glad everything turn out ok but still a mystery what cause it. I filled up the tank and only was only driven for about 280 miles (i normally get at least 320 miles with city and hwy combined). Not sure if the gas station shut off too early? Or the gauge was inaccurate.
I felt like an idiot but definitely learned to fill up as soon as the warning light comes ON. By the way, the light was ON for less than 25 miles when the car shutdown (maybe the twisties cause the pump to lose prime?
Oh well, i am glad everything turned out OK.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:54 PM   #20
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Wait you get 320 miles to the tank in your m coupe? How???????
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:03 PM   #21
Pheonix
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Wait you get 320 miles to the tank in your m coupe? How???????
Yes sir! Strictly highway cruising at around 75mph. The tank is 14.5 gal and i average about 24mpg so that is how.
I finally read the Owner Manual and it stated that refill once the range is within 30 miles. Will never take that chance again!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 02:04 PM   #22
ebruder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i

Pheonix, I really do feel badly about your experience and inconvenience, but I find myself smiling at the thought that all this occurred because you ran out of gas.

Again, sorry for you, but it is funny. Do not report this to NHTSA!

And, yeah, how do you get 320 miles out of a tankful?????

EB
Appreciate 0