ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > Marketplace > Classifieds : For Sale / Wanted / Group Buys
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-09-2011, 05:53 AM   #155
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

When you get yours installed, you'll hear it. I'm on the road a lot, so posting stuff isnt easy. it's a very loud drone betwen about 2200 RPM's and 3000 RPM's. Its worse when lightly under load than at full throttle. By lightly under load, I mean cruising at 70-75MPH, in sixth gear, the very definition of drone. I'm not imagining it. Every single person in the car with me has complained about it. Talking to Scott, at Stromung, he has also admitted there's a "peak" there, as he calls it. It's horrible at those RPM's in my car, at least. So much so, that i'm going with Remus. I had hoped there was a leak or something, but can't find one.

Otherwise, I love the sound of the exhaust above 3000 and the quality seems great. It's just that drone...for me. Others say they cant hear it at all...which I find impossible. Thats why i'm still hoping to find someone near me with them installed, so I can listen to someone else's
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #156
cgroppi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicj View Post
When you get yours installed, you'll hear it. I'm on the road a lot, so posting stuff isnt easy. it's a very loud drone betwen about 2200 RPM's and 3000 RPM's. Its worse when lightly under load than at full throttle. By lightly under load, I mean cruising at 70-75MPH, in sixth gear, the very definition of drone. I'm not imagining it. Every single person in the car with me has complained about it. Talking to Scott, at Stromung, he has also admitted there's a "peak" there, as he calls it. It's horrible at those RPM's in my car, at least. So much so, that i'm going with Remus. I had hoped there was a leak or something, but can't find one.

Otherwise, I love the sound of the exhaust above 3000 and the quality seems great. It's just that drone...for me. Others say they cant hear it at all...which I find impossible. Thats why i'm still hoping to find someone near me with them installed, so I can listen to someone else's
I must be deaf then, because, I don't hear a thing odd between 2 and 3krpm.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 11:11 AM   #157
HaiDef
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgroppi View Post
I must be deaf then, because, I don't hear a thing odd between 2 and 3krpm.
Maybe too much droned described caused you to be deaf
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #158
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

there's definitely a range of rpms in the m's where no matter what exhaust setup u have, drone will still result. it is just a matter of how much drone. the oem exhausts do a great job of muffling the drone range (i agree with vicj's observation of between 2200 to 3000 rpms thereabouts) but correspondingly also muffle the glorious upper rev range. light throttle in 6th is by far the worst place to be at about 70mph. 60mph is noticeably better, and 80mph and above just has higher pitched drone (which is actually more comfortable). i was very sensitive to drone initially with my rpi setup (the pinnacle of drone i'd venture a guess) but have since gotten so used to it (and it's also mellowed substantially after sound dampening and break-in) that it's almost weird not to have any aural presence when driving (like in my daily hyundai sonata for instance).
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:17 PM   #159
johanness
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Garage List
Well, drone or no drone, I won't be finding out.

I had arranged THREE weeks ago on a phone conversation with Scott, to hold off delivery until the 10th of June because I was going to be away and couldn't take delivery of the mufflers (the concierge in my building only holds smaller items and only for a couple days). The units were already completed at that time according to Scott, and he agreed to send them off with a couple days to spare, for them to arrive by the 10th.

My Stromung cans were different as well, as I requested a bigger, more free-flowing core. So these were a specific item. My CC was charged and that was that.

Cut to today. I have a 2.5hr drive each way to Seattle to pick these up (as I'm in Vancouver at the moment). As a lot of you know... numerous calls fell on deaf ears on a business voice-mail inbox that is FULL and won't let you leave a message.

So I email him asking where my unit is BEFORE heading out, and this is his response:

"I am reversing your credit card charges,can you confirm with me Monday by email that it went through.We wont be selling you an exhaust.
Thanks,
Scott"

I almost fell off my chair! WTF is up his ass? Has he completely lost the plot? He's not the one who had to rearrange his schedule to arrange for a delivery that never took place.

Anyhow, this guy is dodgy as hell, and I have no idea how he's in business. And to boot, if I really wanted his cans, I could order it thru any # of people, so his point is moot.

Regardless, good luck to the rest of you! Hello REMUS!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #160
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

No explanation as to why he's not selling you an exhaust???
      06-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #161
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Nope.

We agreed on everything 2.5 weeks ago. I sent him an email today asking what's up, and that was his response.

My only guess is that he is missing a chromosome to deal with stress, and has been inundated with similar emails from clients wondering wtf is going on and where their mufflers are?

But as I said in the previous post... I'm not miffed by him shelving my particular cans. It's not like they are the holy-grail of exhausts; they were a practical alternative and at a very good price point. IF I really wanted a set, I could go about purchasing them in any number of ways. But after this experience, I don't have the slightest inclination to do so. He's banana's.

EDIT:

Here's his follow-up response (Bold-face is mine):

"We apologize for not being able to serve you in the way we discussed. We are just very busy at the moment and wish you luck with another company. Thanks, Scott"

LMFAO

Last edited by johanness; 06-10-2011 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 03:48 PM   #162
r4gs
Viper Driver
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F-16

^wow. that's like telling u to take a hike and give ur money to a competitor! absolutely shameful way of doing business, if u could even call it tt!
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:25 PM   #163
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Wow, that's a first. So I'm guessing they never actually made your exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:36 PM   #164
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Not according to Scott. He said it was finished completely 2.5 weeks ago. At this point I couldn't give a rats ass if he was telling the truth or not. I'm over it
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #165
vicj
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '06 M Roadster; 2010 Mini

Hmmm. I wonder if he sent me yours! LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #166
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Could very well be the reason why your "drone" is louder than everyone elses
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 09:26 PM   #167
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

LOL i told u guys it took almost like forever for mine to come in...
almost like a month wait but it's worth it. and 100% agree with John about the communication problem! it was almost impossible for me to find him thru the phone especially after my payment was made back when i order mine

email was replied with answers like John but mine was a little bit better coz i order it thru a tuner shop that i work at
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #168
johanness
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XMetal View Post
Could very well be the reason why your "drone" is louder than everyone elses
Damn straight.

Me = Remus en route
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #169
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

I had no issues with delivery, thank God. Exhaust is perfect to me.... I hear NO Drone, none, zero, zilch, nada. It is definitely Louder than stock, yet maintains a sophisticated sound, not into sounding like a civic with a coffee can exhaust. Sorry to hear about others with issues, but I am very happy with my purchase. Doesn't sound like my neighbors Lamborghini , but then again, it's not a Lambo.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 01:39 AM   #170
alvinli217
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola RED dIrTy Z4MR - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
I had no issues with delivery, thank God. Exhaust is perfect to me.... I hear NO Drone, none, zero, zilch, nada. It is definitely Louder than stock, yet maintains a sophisticated sound, not into sounding like a civic with a coffee can exhaust. Sorry to hear about others with issues, but I am very happy with my purchase. Doesn't sound like my neighbors Lamborghini , but then again, it's not a Lambo.
if u do want your M to sound like a Lambo, get an RPI GT exhaust...I have no problem going up against any super car sound wise with it on
RPI scoop|BMC drop in filter|EAS V1 aluminum mount|ZHP shiftknob|RHO plate holder|matte black grill|LED interior & license plate light|RE SSK|RE tranny mount|UUC engine mount|Bavarian CDV|clutch stop|18" Forgestar CF5 GOLD|RPI exhaust|H&R coilovers| RE RSM|
coming soon: aFe intake|tune|secondary cat delete|
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2011, 11:41 AM   #171
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
My Stromung arrived Friday afternoon. Had it installed on Saturday. Very nice sound. You'll definitely hear it, but not at cruising speed. There is a slight drone under slight around load 1800 RPM. I am very happy with it so far. I will give a good workout today.

Last edited by RobMCoupe; 06-12-2011 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: additional comments
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 09:09 AM   #172
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
My exhaust was finally delivered over the weekend. Here are some observations:
  • Impressive quality, however the welds could be prettier.
  • The diameter of the tips are smaller than I expected, but nicely engraved. Would be nice if they were about 10mm bigger.
  • Stromung didn't include any instructions, but crfine88's DIY for RPI installations worked perfectly: http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484468
  • For the exhaust mounting bolts, I found that 1/2" sockets worked better than 13mm.
  • The driver's side exhaust tips stick out about 1/2" more than the passenger side. Anything that can be done about this? I've tried pushing the left side of the bumper in and pulling out the right side when re-attaching the rear undercarriage tray, and it cut down the difference to 1/4", but it has slid back to the original position.
  • The exhaust sound is more than a subtle difference over OEM, and it's rather deep and loud even during very light acceleration.
  • Since the exhaust is louder than expected, I think maybe a leak in the right flange is facilitating this? The night before the installation, some water from a car wash got into the exhaust, and I noticed a few drops of water collecting at/dripping from the right flange. I may try to tighten it up some more this weekend, although it is plenty tight already.
  • I don't hear any drone during 70mph/2,900rpm cruising, even with windows up.
  • The Z4MC now sound like a sports car like it should have always been. Love how it sounds when launching WOT from first gear.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #173
Quickid
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC, 06 X5 4.4i, 99 323i

Do you have to bolt up the flanges at an angle (like the RPI exhaust in crfine's instructions) in order for the Stromung tips to hang at the stock height?
      06-20-2011, 10:56 AM   #174
45ACP
Long Live the 1911
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hooptie

Garage List
I did line up the flanges in a vertical orientation per the DIY, however it seems that it would only help with the upward/downward angle of the tips -- not how far they stick out, or how high or low the mufflers seat against the valence.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 01:10 PM   #175
JPWEraser
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06/Z07

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45ACP View Post
I did line up the flanges in a vertical orientation per the DIY, however it seems that it would only help with the upward/downward angle of the tips -- not how far they stick out, or how high or low the mufflers seat against the valence.
The flanges do in fact adjust how far the tips stick out. It took me several times adjusting the muffler to get it where wanted it.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #176
RobMCoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPWEraser View Post
The flanges do in fact adjust how far the tips stick out. It took me several times adjusting the muffler to get it where wanted it.
Please explain. My driver side exhaust tip extends out more than passenger.
Appreciate 0