ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2022, 07:27 PM   #1
Mike555
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 2003

Top problems

Hi I've got a 2003 E85. They other day when I go to lower the top it wouldn't move. It unlatches fine. I hear the motor spinning but the top dosen't move. So I pull the red (handle) wire in the trunk and lower it by hand. Then I put the Handle back in its normal position and try closing the top. It closes normally, but when I try and open it. Same thing, motor kicks in normally but the top does not move. It will not open. Any ideas?. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2022, 03:39 PM   #2
JAS1169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2003 Z4

Hey Mike

The top is releasing from the windshield frame and then stopping dead in movement but....you can still hear the motor running. Is this correct?

If so, then push top down and after the top stops movement get out of the car and WITHOUT using the red release in the trunk try pushing the top down. If you can do it then try putting the top up, again WITHOUT using the red cable. Then post the results, in that can you cycle the top down/up without using the red release.
Appreciate 0