ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
07Z4M4me
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4M Coupe

z4M rear brakes squealing under heat?

So I had my 07 M Coupe on track at Putnam Park in Indiana a few weeks ago. First time on track with it. As I've had some track experience in the past, I was able to pick it up pretty quick, and was soon getting into braking zones well.

So...after a half hour session of clear runs...still plenty of brake feel, which was great, and no grumbling sounds that some complain of. Instead, under light braking towards the end of the session, the rear brakes were yelling like crazy, thought I had a pad going bad or something.

So after I got off the track, I talked to another guy who has a z4M, who noted his stock rear brakes did the same thing, and I believe he said a fluid change solved a lot of it. Says they were just hot due to the aggressive lapping. Any thoughts on this? Plenty of pad and rotor left, BTW....
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #2
jmillet
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Hyundai IONIQ 6 SEL AWD

Garage List
Need more info: what brake pads are you using on the track?
DSC on or off?
I run PF-01 pads on the track and they sound terrible when they cool down.
The Z4M DSC interacts with both the engine and brake management systems:
http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...y_control.html
With R-compound tires (Toyo R-888) and -3.5 degrees of camber up front I run with DSC off; in street configuration (-2.0 degrees front camber and OE Conti tires) I leave the DSC on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Z4M4me View Post
So I had my 07 M Coupe on track at Putnam Park in Indiana a few weeks ago. First time on track with it. As I've had some track experience in the past, I was able to pick it up pretty quick, and was soon getting into braking zones well.

So...after a half hour session of clear runs...still plenty of brake feel, which was great, and no grumbling sounds that some complain of. Instead, under light braking towards the end of the session, the rear brakes were yelling like crazy, thought I had a pad going bad or something.

So after I got off the track, I talked to another guy who has a z4M, who noted his stock rear brakes did the same thing, and I believe he said a fluid change solved a lot of it. Says they were just hot due to the aggressive lapping. Any thoughts on this? Plenty of pad and rotor left, BTW....

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
07Z4M4me
Private
Rep

Stock pads
OE Conti tires (still trying to wear the things out!)
DSC on
Stock camber

My typical process for track cars is to run them stock as can be, and then improve the components which don't appear up to the task. The tires are an easy one, but I didn't expect the rear brakes to be an issue....but good point on the DSC...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

It's the DSC.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
07Z4M4me
Private
Rep

^^Have you have the same problem?

The DSC is just overheating the pads?
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 06:21 PM   #6
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
^^Have you have the same problem?

The DSC is just overheating the pads?
Yup - 2 years ago at one of our local tracks we ran a shortened circuit due to a wreck early in the day taking out a guard rail and fence. The track was damp in places so I had DSC on. The shorter configuration involved a number of long sweeping turns... My rear brakes almost caught fire... During the cool down lap, loud grinding in the last two sessions where I was really pushing it . The Hack accurately pointed out the problem.
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM

Last edited by Caddyshk; 05-25-2011 at 08:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #7
07Z4M4me
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Yup - 2 years ago at one of our local tracks we ran a shortened circuit due to a wreck early in the day taking out a guard rail and fence. The track was damp in places so I had DSC on. The shorter configuration involved a number of long sweeping turns... My rear brakes almost caught fire... During the cool down lap, loud grinding in the last two sessions where I was really pushing it . The Hack accurately pointed out the problem.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to decide if a more agressive pad makes sense, or just don't use the DSC on track...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. Thanks for the info. I'll have to decide if a more agressive pad makes sense, or just don't use the DSC on track...
I'm not sure a different friction material would have made a difference in my case. The heat was intense...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #9
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Just to be safe, I always flush about a pint of brake fluid through the brake system before each HPDE event and again after I get home from one.
Appreciate 0