ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-24-2021, 07:28 PM   #1
HBC
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M

First Track Day - Hooked

Watched lots of videos and read up on people's experiences and decided to take the plunge this past week. Was able to enroll in the Hanson Advanced Driving Training at the Mosport DDT and I can say that I am officially hooked.

Only thing that sucked was the COVID protocols that prevented the instructor from providing you insight in your car as the rode with you. They were in their own vehicle and I would follow them until they felt comfortable to let me run first and provide their feedback at the completion of each of the 5 - 20 minute sessions.

Things about the car:

Bone stock other than the Stromung cans and the Mstache lip. Tire setup 245/40/18 and 265/35/18 Nankang AR-1's with Motul R660 fluid. Put the hardtop on for the event.

Things I learned:

1. DSC sucks so on the 3rd session I turned it off. What a difference that made. Power was immediate to the wheels with no fear of spinning out. Spent lots of time in the skid pad to realize how much a difference it made and the instructor was not pulling away from me coming out of corners.
2. I know I need to spend lots of track time to address the understeer issues. I'd rather improve on the technique before going with suspension mods. In my experience, I noticed that the DSC would lessen the amount of understeer coming into a corner and exiting out of it when I'm applying the power. I'm casually doing track days for now so the majority of the low annual miles will come from time on the road.
3. The AR-1's feel best with 36 - 37 lbs of air pressure in them. I adjusted the temps 3 times during the day and that seemed to make the car happy. Lug nuts also were torqued one additional time after the 3rd track session as it needed it.
4. I did not experience any significant brake fade during the track sessions. I may consider with performance pads for the front brakes pending results after the next track event. Brake fluid was fresh with only the 7km trip that was on the car.

Bonus Items:

1. There was another Z4MR there that we were able to go out together. What a blast that was as we each took turns in front to shake the other driver off. Not much of a difference between us which I would consider a positive takeaway as he's been running in numerous events/tracks for a while. Great to see the same car and how it handles the turns directly in front of you.
2. Drove circles past a few higher powered vehicles, namely a Cayman S, two Vipers, and a C6 Corvette. Not going to consider the Mustang GT as it was an older guy who clearly should have not been on the track. Sure those drivers may have been learning the proper lines and improving their driving technique as opposed to cooking their tires like I was.

Next event is in a week so I will record some of my laps to review them the day. Thankfully, the track is less than a 5 minute drive for me so I only need to bring a few things to the track with me for the day.

Brakes already flushed for the next event. Hooked.

Last edited by HBC; 07-24-2021 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 5
racerbruce3848.50
Z4M0620.50
Vanne1593.00
wdb4673.00
3GFX722.50
      07-27-2021, 06:42 PM   #2
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Love Mosport DDT. Like the full Mosport its got elevation change but in a smaller package.

I think you will like the change to race pads even if you're not getting fade currently. Performance Friction PF11 and Carbotech XP10 were my favorite when I was on stock brakes. I also found adding the brass caliper bushings helped with even pad wear and improved feel a tiny bit. Not a terrrible upgrade for $100

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2021, 06:06 PM   #3
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Congrats, and bravo to you for turning DSC off.
Appreciate 0