ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #45
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Convertible Snap-In Covers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpraceman View Post
Yeah, I know.
A former Z4MR owner gave me his set; still in their OEM black nylon storage bag.
      08-30-2018, 11:05 AM   #46
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

You know, the more I look at it, I would TOTALLY get one.

But not new. Nor would I want the "///M" version or the M40i version. I'd probably get a base M28 with the 2 liter inline 4, used with maybe 30,000 miles on it, if it came with a manual.

Having had 2 convertible BMW Z's before, I've come to the realization that you don't need power, speed, nor great handling for the roadster experience. My Z3 1.9L was a hoot to drive, but primarily for the open top experience, the intimate nature of the drive, and I don't think I've ever "floored" it because, in all honesty? It can't do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds and can't top out at 120mph even if I got out and pushed.

My Z4 3.0i WAS a ton of fun on the track, but again, I don't think I would EVER consider using that as a primary track vehicle. It's nice to be able to take it to an autocross or two, and go to a track event nearby to sort of drive it around half-assed, but I would never be comfortable pushing a convertible like I push my other cars with closed roofs. But we had a lot of fun drives in So Cal with the top down and mostly cruising around.

I think this might be a nice car to get for my daughter when she's ready to drive in 5-6 years. I would pick up a 2020 or 2021 version, preferably post LCI, with the smallest engine they offer and hopefully in a manual, used. This way, she has a little fun car to drive around, we would once again have a roadster in the "garage" (technically, the Corvette is a "convertible", not a roadsters), and she wouldn't have the ability nor the temptation to put her friends in the car.

But if the base models (the 4 cyl) don't come with manuals, forget it. If she's going to learn how to drive a car, it's going to be on a stick shift.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #47
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
A former Z4MR owner gave me his set; still in their OEM black nylon storage bag.
Sounds like you and gpraceman need to make a deal.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #48
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
You know, the more I look at it, I would TOTALLY get one.

But not new. Nor would I want the "///M" version or the M40i version. I'd probably get a base M28 with the 2 liter inline 4, used with maybe 30,000 miles on it, if it came with a manual.

Having had 2 convertible BMW Z's before, I've come to the realization that you don't need power, speed, nor great handling for the roadster experience. My Z3 1.9L was a hoot to drive, but primarily for the open top experience, the intimate nature of the drive, and I don't think I've ever "floored" it because, in all honesty? It can't do 0-60 in less than 8 seconds and can't top out at 120mph even if I got out and pushed.

My Z4 3.0i WAS a ton of fun on the track, but again, I don't think I would EVER consider using that as a primary track vehicle. It's nice to be able to take it to an autocross or two, and go to a track event nearby to sort of drive it around half-assed, but I would never be comfortable pushing a convertible like I push my other cars with closed roofs. But we had a lot of fun drives in So Cal with the top down and mostly cruising around.

I think this might be a nice car to get for my daughter when she's ready to drive in 5-6 years. I would pick up a 2020 or 2021 version, preferably post LCI, with the smallest engine they offer and hopefully in a manual, used. This way, she has a little fun car to drive around, we would once again have a roadster in the "garage" (technically, the Corvette is a "convertible", not a roadsters), and she wouldn't have the ability nor the temptation to put her friends in the car.

But if the base models (the 4 cyl) don't come with manuals, forget it. If she's going to learn how to drive a car, it's going to be on a stick shift.
And - the LCI may have addressed some of the styling nits that folks are griping about re the front of the car. More importantly, by then, any bugs in the design should be identified and fixed (After the E85 experience, I really want to know where they put that roof motor....). Aren't the 4 cylinder cars expected to be somewhere around 250 hp, or maybe more, particularly post LCI? Combined with a manual shift, they should be reasonably decent performers. So who knows - you may yet see oddly early rear tire wear and a speeding ticket or three.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 01:26 PM   #49
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
This shooting brake rendering is striking.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #50
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Looked at the pics from Pebble....

Seats look nice. That's about it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 09:34 AM   #51
3798j
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E86 3.0si

Garage List
'08 Z4 3.0SI  [8.50]
'66 Triumph TR4A  [0.00]
'85 Corvette  [0.00]
'64 Corvette  [0.00]
'68 Triumph GT6  [0.00]
'55 Ford F100  [0.00]
'19 VW Golf "R ...  [0.00]
It gets around the Ring in good fashion.
https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/09/12/b...-nordschleife/

https://www-motor1-com.cdn.ampprojec...urgring-lap%2F
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #52
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3798j View Post
That's interesting.

Recently I was in a discussion on the Corvette forums about the C7's Nurburgring time, about how the C7 Grand Sport basically matched the previous generation ZR1's lap time, and someone pointed out to me it was ALL due to the tires.

Sure enough, with some digging around, the ZR1 lap time was done on Michelin Pilot Sport 2s, a 4 generation older tire, than the times achieved on the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s that were accomplished by the C7 Grand Sport. As I dug deeper, the ZR1 actually was about 10 seconds faster on previous generation Michelin Pilot Cup 1 tires on Nurburgring.

If you look at the data, it would suggest to me, that the new Z4 is likely running on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, which would account for the 6 second advantage on the ring over what likely was a lap time established on Micheline Pilot Super Sports on the M2.

BMW never published the MZ4 Coupe's official Nurburgring time, but they have shown that the MZ4 Roadster lapped at 8:12. IF you want to extrapolate, you can easily assume that the Michelin Pilot Sports 4s are easily 10-12 seconds per lap faster than the OEM Continental ContiSportContact 2s that came on the MZ4 Coupe (even the original Michelin Pilot Sport 2s were several seconds per lap faster on your average road course, much less the 'Ring). That put the MZ4 Coupe's lap time square in the middle of where the new Z4 M40i's lap time and the M2's lap time range, for extrapolation and comparison purposes.

Which makes the new Z4 M40i's time either very impressive, or somewhat disappointing in that almost ALL the time made up are in tires. The higher HP and torque AND 12 years of suspension advancement made zero to little difference in the lap time. They might as well just rebuild the E85/86 and stuff the new engine in it, and slap on some new Michelin PS4s and be done with it.

You can even see it in the data on the video, he was consistently getting 1.4-1.5G of peak lateral grip in some of the turns. That seems consistent with the latest generation of Michelin PS4 and what they can do (which is INSANE, given that the BEST r-comp tires 5-8 years ago were getting less than that in their peak lateral grip). It's gotten to a point where it's useless to compare 'Ring times between production cars of different periods, because tire technology is evolving so insanely quickly that the lap time difference between 2 subsequent generation tires can have THAT big of a difference.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 11:52 AM   #53
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Well, however you slice it, dice it, or analyze it, its clear that the new Z4 definitely succeeds in addressing the performance complaints that were made about the outgoing E89 platform.

I don't know what tire was fitted to the "ring car", but the one in these photos has Pilot Super Sports.

https://g29.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1534289

Now, off I go to get some PS4s for that rusty old Dodge Omni out in the shed and look out!! But first - where's my old Top Gun soundtrack?

Last edited by Huz-Z; 09-13-2018 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #54
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

(for the new z4, not Huz's cool idea)