ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-23-2011, 03:41 AM   #23
rkcampbell
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 M Roadster

Rick, as an historian (and English major at university) may I say I really enjoyed your post and prose- not to mention the beautiful photos. You should consider creating a webpage of your travels- do you have GPS from the photos like my iPhone? Hell, maybe you could even squeeze a few last dollars out of the print industry and have something published.

Cheers,

Bob
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:46 PM   #24
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftercorbu View Post
Wow Rick; what a fine chronicle with words and pictures. Thank you for sharing that. I also love driving through WV and try to spend as much time there as possible in the Winter during ski season. A beautiful place no doubt.
aftercorbu,

Thanks very much--I'm glad you enjoyed it.

West Virginia is such a fascinating place. I've driven and motorcycled through lots of it (but mostly the northern two-thirds) and canoed through some other parts. I never get tired of it. However, I haven't skied through any of it, and that sounds like another fun way to experience all those mountains.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 03:52 PM   #25
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkcampbell View Post
Rick, as an historian (and English major at university) may I say I really enjoyed your post and prose- not to mention the beautiful photos. You should consider creating a webpage of your travels- do you have GPS from the photos like my iPhone? Hell, maybe you could even squeeze a few last dollars out of the print industry and have something published.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob,

Thanks a lot! Some day I would like to publish a book of my stories. And I'm fairly confident that I could distribute at least 5 or 10 of them (as gifts!)

Maybe a post-retirement project will be to set up a web page as you suggest. That would be fun. In the meantime, you can find the entire collection of my reports over the years at http://www.bmwbmw.org/forums/search....2&sf=firstpost. If I counted correctly, there are 87 of these things available (and I'm currently two behind.)

Thanks again,

Rick
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2011, 07:51 PM   #26
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
aftercorbu,

Thanks very much--I'm glad you enjoyed it.

West Virginia is such a fascinating place. I've driven and motorcycled through lots of it (but mostly the northern two-thirds) and canoed through some other parts. I never get tired of it. However, I haven't skied through any of it, and that sounds like another fun way to experience all those mountains.

Rick
snowshoe, wv is actually the best resort in the southeast imo. dangerous because of the conditions, skiers, and terrain mixed together, but the best we have in the southeast. Nice village atmosphere at the top of the mountain too. worth a trip even if you are not an avid skier.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 01:58 AM   #27
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

Awesome trip/writeup/pics! I've got family in/from WV but my Z4 hasn't been back there yet. The M5 has.
      10-26-2011, 09:25 PM   #28
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palantirion View Post
Awesome trip/writeup/pics! I've got family in/from WV but my Z4 hasn't been back there yet. The M5 has.
Palantirion,

Thanks! I actually lived in West Virginia myself, in Morgantown, from ages 1 through 5 1/2 while my father taught at WVU.

As a result, I can't tell as many outrageous stories about West Virginia as I might like...

A Z4 is a great way to see the State (but an M5 wouldn't do badly, either!)

Rick F.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #29
Palantirion
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 MC, M5, 540iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
Palantirion,

Thanks! I actually lived in West Virginia myself, in Morgantown, from ages 1 through 5 1/2 while my father taught at WVU.

As a result, I can't tell as many outrageous stories about West Virginia as I might like...

A Z4 is a great way to see the State (but an M5 wouldn't do badly, either!)

Rick F.
My cousins John and Brian grew up in Morgantown and their father Cyril Logar taught at WVU until a few years ago. Small freakin world!
      11-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #30
dsgrillot
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M Roadster

Wow, what an incredible tour! I'm embarrassed to say that I live in Beckley, WV and have only seen about half the sites you encountered. Your photos are incredible...thanks for taking the time to post your tour.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2011, 06:45 PM   #31
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Thanks Rick. I enjoy photography a lot. Share the interest with my wife.

She sold her 335 Cab. A reaction to being hit from behind in her Audi (great car--s5)

We have a used Porsche Cayenne now. Though they're referred to as P!gs on the Rennlist forum, They're an incredible driving experience. Handles so well! She has had 3Boxsters, and 2 911's. The older one was a cab. All great experiences.

Did driver training in PCA. At Mosport. She's an x-ski racer. Cleans my clock when we race I was a ski instructor for 35 years. Locked in slow! So I value your past and stories!

Snow tires on 3 of 4 cars...
DaveL

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Came across this...

oops...

this... http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread921980/pg1

welcome to Wood County sign. Understand it is a hoax. Photo Shopped. Sure do like thought of not having jails! In another lifetime I got to provide engineering services and work in 15 jails, 4 psychiatric hospitals and 5? centers for developmentally challenged. Worst was Kingston Pennitentiary after a riot in 1971. Occupied; not fun.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_pen

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 07-20-2013 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 08:24 PM   #33
Shorts
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 M coupe, E91 325xi

Nice pics!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #34
mbmetal
Registered
Rep
Drives: jimmy

Found what you were looking for

Im a FedEx driver and Neola is on my route. I usually look up history on the areas in which i deliver and while doing so i came across your thread here. the camp your looking for is on the main road on 92. it is exactly 8.5 miles north of the Anthony Correctional Facility. if your travelling north it is on your left. there is a sign that hangs beside the road directly in front of it that says "Mayo sprtsmans club" or something to that effect. I think the church you may have also been looking for is almost directly beside it. It is called May Chapel. just thought you would like to know it is still there and in good condition. It looks like someone keeps it up. and if you had any interesting information on the area i would love to know!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #35
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Rick, once again, you leave me humbling for words. Thanks again for letting us shotgun with you on your drives through history. Love it. Looking forward to your next drive. : )