ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
txguy1986
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 E85

Bluetooth Question (help, newbie)

I recently bought a 2004 3.0 Z4. It has Bluetooth according to Vin lookup and BMW website. I have looked at several videos on how to Pair my phone. I just got the new Iphone XS. Is this phone compatible? What exactly will Bluetooth do? I assume I can answer phone calls but can I dial out? Can I stream music from my phone? I do not have the Aux jack but I am thinking about installing one. I do not like aftermarket stereos and want to make this one work. How can I successfully pair my phone?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

You will just have to try your phone and see if it works. Do you have the passcode(you will need it to pair)? You can only answer and dial out. No streaming with the oem BT. That is easily resolved with a GROM unit though.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
My iPhone XS pairs up just fine. You can dial out, but assuming it's a non-nav car and has the tiny display on the head unit, it's cumbersome as hell to use it to make an outgoing call, as navigating through your address book is a chore. You can theoretically dial by voice command, but that technology was really in its infancy back then and it shows - it's barely functional.

Easiest way to make an outgoing call would be to initiate it from your phone with Bluetooth already connected.

I use my aux jack every time I'm in the car. I have zero FM stations available to me due to my locations (ok one, but it's not one I'd listen to anyways), and I would hate to be without it. I use a coiled aux-to-lightning cable I bought at Amazon for the connection. Works great.
      05-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

With the Z4, you have to know the code of the Bluetooth unit. Newer BMWs just use the last 7 of the VIN. If you don't know the code, then you need to pull the driver's side subwoofer and find the code for the bluetooth unit.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2019, 07:37 AM   #5
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

If I recall correctly, a BMW dealer may be able to access the PK code using their diagnostic computer. I don't know if its available through the diagnostic units that folks here have purchased for code reading.

For my car, I can also use voice commands to make calls by pressing the little talking head button on the steering wheel and saying "Dial Number". The car will say " Please say the number". After I do that, it repeats what I have said and replies "and next?" Then you say "Dial Number" again and it places the call.

You can also store names and numbers. So if I have done that for the local pizza shop, I can say "name". The car will reply "please say the name" and I reply "pizza joint". The car responds "do you want to call [pizza joint]?" and I reply "Dial". This all works pretty well with the top up but it can be messed up in noisy areas or with the top down due to ambient noise.

And with my (now ancient) iPhone 6s, the car loads my contacts and I can scroll through them using the display on the dash and place a call using the steering wheel buttons.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 05-03-2019 at 07:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
ried
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31, F80

The Bluetooth passkey / PIN code needed to pair a mobile phone with the car can be read by removing the speaker grill behind the drivers seat, then shining a flashlight onto the Bluetooth module and reading the code printed on its label.

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=810847

That's how I learned mine.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
txguy1986
Rep

I can't seem to get the car to go in pairing mode. Can't get my phone to even find the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #8
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Hey - if you leave your cell in the house or have it turned off AND you press on the talking head button on the steering wheel, does anything happen? In my car, it will then say "Function not available". If your car does this, I would take some comfort that this likely means that you do have a functioning Bluetooth module, even though its being finicky with respect to the pairing process.

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
txguy1986
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Hey - if you leave your cell in the house or have it turned off AND you press on the talking head button on the steering wheel, does anything happen? In my car, it will then say "Function not available". If your car does this, I would take some comfort that this likely means that you do have a functioning Bluetooth module, even though its being finicky with respect to the pairing process.
That button does absolutely nothing.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #10
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy1986 View Post
That button does absolutely nothing.
Crap. Sounds just like my teenage son.

Appreciate 1
wdb4673.00
      05-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #11
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I missed the fact yours is an 04. I think at that point not all cars had a BT module. Maybe a dealer could tell you, or as suggested, pop the speaker grill off behind the drivers seat and take a look for a passcode. If you don't see the code you likely don't have the module. Easy fix with a Grom unit if you don't and that would be better anyway since it adds streaming to the mix.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0H9-00J1-00...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2019, 03:02 PM   #12
txguy1986
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
I missed the fact yours is an 04. I think at that point not all cars had a BT module. Maybe a dealer could tell you, or as suggested, pop the speaker grill off behind the drivers seat and take a look for a passcode. If you don't see the code you likely don't have the module. Easy fix with a Grom unit if you don't and that would be better anyway since it adds streaming to the mix.

https://www.newegg.com/p/0H9-00J1-00...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
That is awesome. Thanks! On top of my steering column it looks like I have a mic from the factory, does that sound right?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by txguy1986 View Post
That is awesome. Thanks! On top of my steering column it looks like I have a mic from the factory, does that sound right?
I am not sure that guarantees anything about BT (but yes, that is where the mic is located). I would pop the speaker grill and look for a pass code.
Appreciate 1