ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

02-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
dptmachine
Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Motion
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe

SLR Custom Control Arms

At the shop yesterday. The control arms finally showed up. The car was hanging in the air so I grabbed a pic. The Ground Control ARB linkage is going to need some work to hook up. The current plan is to machine an accommodation for it to mount up. The car will be on the ground next week for alignment, chassis mods as needed, and Forgeline custom fitment.
Attached Images

2007 BMW Z4 M3 Coupe Wide Body; midlife crisis car
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Looks very very nice.. did the kit include the new tie rod arms? or was that an optional extra? I guess if its put the hub outwards, then it probably included the arms, (which reminds me, I should check my own kit)

Did you have to weld in steering stops?

Remember to either lockwire those nuts or something else as there have been reports of the nuts backing off.

Cant wait to hear how these feel, I think its the same kit as Michael is running right? very very nice, and ive only heard positive reviews..

02-10-2020, 02:38 PM   #3
dptmachine
United_States
Rep

The kit included the tie-rods. They had just installed just before I showed up. As for the steering stops, once the car is on the ground and aligned and any body mods are accouted for, the stops will be considered.

I will definitely look into securing the fasteners. I thought about trying to get a photo of the tire hanging in the wheel well, but pointless based on geometry.

I posted in the exhaust section as well, Probably should have a build thread and collect in one spot.

I just recently got confirmation on the respray; Bruce Canepa spoke with the shop an supplied pain codes;
BMW 300; or Apline White III, and some PPG DBC Paintline 73902
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #4
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

SLR

Cool, another Z4M with an SLR kit...

After a couple seasons on the car, some feedback:
Overall, good kit. Sean is excellent to work with and is very responsive. Steering isn't too quick, as I feared. Arms and hardware seem stout and are holding up. Camber is dialed way back (-2.5/-1.5). Not sure if it's the roll center correction or something else, but tire temps confirm that the car doesn't like a lot of camber.

Three issues with the kit.
1. Hardware loosened up on me, creating a scary shimmy at speed. I double nutted all the hardware, but I still check the torque on the nuts frequently. See pic.
2. Tie rod ends are not very good. Mine developed play after one season. I ordered higher quality Aurora rod ends ($75 ea) that seem to be holding up much better. You can see the part number in the pic.
3. The small FCAB Delrin bushings wore out after a couple seasons. They're easy to replace and Sean sells them for a very reasonable $25/pair.

Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
dptmachine
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the head-up. I am coordinating my work with AR Motorsports, I will share the info. This car will be primary HPDE and like events, so it will be imperative to keep it in top condition running on the track.
Appreciate 1
Vanne1593.00
      02-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #6
OG_M3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: ae86; z4mc

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
1985 AE86  [0.00]
not to derail the thread, but are you using an e46 m3 front spindle/knuckle setup on your car? looking at the pics it looks like a different shock mount setup, but it could also be my eyes messing with me.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #7
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

I am also running these arms about a year now and love them! I love the faster steering and I don't find it overly fast. Like Michael I was able to dial the camber way back and still get better front end grip then i could ever get with the stock arms.

My only issue is after installing the arms I slightly over active abs. It seems when ever i turn from the straight ahead position the abs wants to activate. I have replaced wheel bearings/abs sensors but I am still chasing the issue.

Anybody else with these arms having abs issues?

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2020, 03:40 PM   #8
dptmachine
United_States
Rep

Good eyes OG_M3; those are e46 M3 "knuckle" I have a e46 M3 track car with same set-up with AP radical brakes that I could use on this car. These e46 knuckles can be had anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 10:20 PM   #9
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
I am also running these arms about a year now and love them! I love the faster steering and I don't find it overly fast. Like Michael I was able to dial the camber way back and still get better front end grip then i could ever get with the stock arms.

My only issue is after installing the arms I slightly over active abs. It seems when ever i turn from the straight ahead position the abs wants to activate. I have replaced wheel bearings/abs sensors but I am still chasing the issue.

Anybody else with these arms having abs issues?
interesting.. .. love the look of these arms, you can see they are very well made.I also hear the kit goes very well, do you have to weld in steerring stops?
      03-18-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
interesting.. .. love the look of these arms, you can see they are very well made.I also hear the kit goes very well, do you have to weld in steerring stops?
I think I have the abs issue figured out, I think I just need to perform a steering angel calibration. The BMW repair instructions state to do this with ISTA after every alignment but I have never done it and never had a problem. I think maybe with the more drastic change in alignment has highlighted why it needs to be done. Fingers crossed.

Other then that small issue, the roll center correction is down right amazing in terms of handling! Everybody that says there is a huge increase in front grip is right! Its awesome to be able to dial back the camber in the front and still have the same if not more grip.

The roll center correction in front impressed me so much I am soon do the same in the rear with the CMP subframe raising bushings. Hopefully the solid bushing combined with the roll center correction will be a nice increase in rear grip

Then next year I want to follow your lead and do a full coil over conversion in the rear

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR

Last edited by F360C; 03-18-2020 at 10:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #11
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep

Not sure the steering angle is the source of your abs issue. My steering angle has been out of calibration for a while intentionally to cause dsc to be in complete default. No abs issue on my car.

Am also curious about the CMP lowering bushes. Interesting concept, but know of no one using them. The rear suspension is also very different geometry than the McPherson strut. So not sure the benefit with upper and lower arms.

What benefit are you expecting from a rear coil over conversion?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 08:15 AM   #12
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael9218 View Post
Not sure the steering angle is the source of your abs issue. My steering angle has been out of calibration for a while intentionally to cause dsc to be in complete default. No abs issue on my car.
Don't crush my dreams like that Michael! I already replaced wheel bearings, abs sensors etc. I was hoping this was going to be the fix but if not i guess its back to the drawing board. It only happened after I put the arms on and its been perplexing me a bit trying to solve it. I can brake as hard as I want in a straight line but as soon as I add any steering angel at low speed the abs very intermittently lightly pulses. If I have DSC on it will even some times trigger that.

Quote:

Am also curious about the CMP lowering bushes. Interesting concept, but know of no one using them. The rear suspension is also very different geometry than the McPherson strut. So not sure the benefit with upper and lower arms.

What benefit are you expecting from a rear coil over conversion?

The front end of the car feels so tight with the SLR setup that it has highlighted some of the handling deficiencies in the rear end. All my bushings in the rear are original except the RATB (have RE delrin ones in there) so I figure replacing all the bushings back there this year is a good plan.

From everything I read solid for the rear sub frame is the way to go. I was originally going to get the the Turner Motorsport bushings but then starting reading the threads on here about the guys going widebody and them having to move the rear subframe up in the body to fix the geometry for their extremely lowered cars. This then took me down the internet rabbit hole and I found two companies making subframe bushings that move the subframe a couple mm. CMP and a second company out of Japan. The ones from Japan are actually adjustable so they can be configured at stock height if desired.

With the SLR arms I am able to run my car decently low to get at much out of the front splitter as I can. This means the rear is pretty low too so I thought I would give the CMP bushings with the roll center correction a try. I agree that I am not sure it has near the effect as the front arms due to the design of the suspension. I am also a bit skeptical because none of the big BMW race part manufactures make bushings like this. Maybe they did the calculations and figure there was no benefit? I figured if I want to change them to something stock height its not the biggest problem. This leads into why I want to go coilover in the rear..

With the car at the height I want to run it means I am having to run a 5" rear spring which I think is too short. By going rear coilover I am hoping to be able to run a longer spring but keep the same height.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:26 PM   #13
Mgineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Camber is dialed way back (-2.5/-1.5). Not sure if it's the roll center correction or something else, but tire temps confirm that the car doesn't like a lot of camber.
Michael and F360C - curious what your camber was before these arms? I'm planning to install these on my car which is mainly used for autocross and would like to have an idea of where to start with a new alignment. I'm currently running -3.6F -2.5R and have nice even wear on square 285 RE71-Rs. Thanks for your help!

-Aaron
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #14
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgineer View Post
Michael and F360C - curious what your camber was before these arms? I'm planning to install these on my car which is mainly used for autocross and would like to have an idea of where to start with a new alignment. I'm currently running -3.6F -2.5R and have nice even wear on square 285 RE71-Rs. Thanks for your help!

-Aaron
Dunno. Bought the car to build. I’ve only tracked the car with these arms.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:58 AM   #15
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgineer View Post

-Aaron

Hey Aaron... before the arms I ran the max camber I could get out of my GC camber plates which i believe was -3.7. Now I am at -3.2 but i am probably going to dial it back to -3

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #16
mrsuper2
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

Aurora rod end part#

hello, Michael9218. could you post up the Aurora rod end part#? i have tried to enlarge the pic to obtain the rod end part# but i still cannot make out the full part#. thanks in advance. i have ordered up the same kit and waiting for delivery. i would like to have the uprated rod ends ready for my install.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:16 AM   #17
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep

Upgraded rod ends were purchased from Pegasus.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3067

3067-M14x1.50-R.

Note that my older kit used female thread rod ends. The newer kits look to use male.

Outer ball joint stud snapped on my kit this past Sunday. Waiting to hear from Sean on this.

Pics here: https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthr...1451764&page=8

To be honest, I’m tired of messing with this kit. Chasing my tail with front end shimmy from ever loosening hardware. And now a failure...

Going back to stock control arms until a better solution can be found.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:20 AM   #18
mrsuper2
Rep
Drives: Z4MC

SLR kit

Thanks for the information regarding your kit. you are very fortunate the failure occurred during low speed operation! i am very interested in how Sean at SLR will respond to your failure. please post if they do plan on updating the design or use of different fasteners to address the loosening of the suspension hardware. when i spoke to the guys at SLR, they had made no mention of hardware loosening issues
Appreciate 0