ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #1
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

Flush the ABS System as Maintenance Routine?

Thought I'd post this as there seems to be varying thoughts. I know I've wondered if I was being remiss by not cycling the ABS during my every-other-year flush. This is from a BMW master tech with over 2 decades of experience.

"We dont normally bleed the abs module. The fluid goes from the frt and rear ports on the brake master through the abs module to the individual wheels. So it is getting flushed but there are some parts that won't be flushed as the valves are not being opened and closed unless they are activated thru the tester. You could go out and stomp on the brakes to activate the abs and then do your flush. I wouldn't worry about it. I have always done just regular flushes on all of my BMW's and never had a problem. That's what we do here at work"

So it seems cycling the ABS (e.g via INPA) is only needed if air gets in the system.
Appreciate 0