ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #23
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Thisnis great, but not at all helpful for those of us a bit further south. I use summer and all seasons because we rarely see snow/ice, and my summer tires don't do well at 35F. Would be nice to see a hot vs cold comparison of the two.
Appreciate 2
      10-11-2019, 11:15 PM   #24
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Great for people who have never gotten this information... I'm just thinking about how nice the m3 looks in that green... and also with a reasonable grille lol sorry.

Oh yeah... season appropriate tires is pretty obvious.. who would wear galoshes to run a marathon?? or flip flops to climb a snowy peak?? Same idea... ish

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:39 PM   #25
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Summer tires are good in summer.
Winter tires in winter.

All Season suck all the time!
Appreciate 3
Mehim76.50
BigHunk268.00
      10-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

After running winter tires for some years now, there's no question as to the advantages of using winter tires during the cold/snow/ice season. The various videos which show the advantages of winter tires are good but.... Someone did point out and you do see it in the comments section of the various videos, why don't these videos call out the exact tires they're using?

This is the only video I've found where they call out the exact tires they're using for the comparison:

Appreciate 0
      10-12-2019, 11:51 AM   #27
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharpFan View Post
Winter tires in winter.

Fake news. You do realize there is four seasons and not just two, right?
      10-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #28
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
People should take note that these propaganda videos are made by organizations motivated to sell you tires.
      10-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #29
david in germany
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 118i, 335i and 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
I just live in an area where all I need is summer tires
I am a native Floridian, I never knew there were variations of tires until I moved to Germany. Lol
2009 335i Saphire Black M Sport "Leopold" Cobb stage 2 aggressive tune, Mishimoto FMIC, Cobb charge pipe, Cobb catted down pipes, Forge diverter valves, BMS inlets and DCI, Cyba scoops and M Individual Audio retrofit and M3 gauge cluster retrofit.
2011 328i Titan Silver M Sport "Franzel" <--Wife's car
Appreciate 2
themnmd1685.00
clee1982796.00
      10-13-2019, 06:36 AM   #30
lago1974
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Garage List
2023 X5 M50i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharpFan View Post
Winter tires in winter.

Fake news. You do realize there is four seasons and not just two, right?
I need to agree with this. I live in NH and our summers aren't long enough to make summer tires worthwhile. Some people run winters all year, but that's taking it too far. Most have all seasons, and unfortunately it's the best choice.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #31
clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
I can never just run summer tires, I can see myself doing all season and winter swap at most...
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #32
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Due to lack of care and all the apprentices that are actually installing your wheels in the car, the smudges and indifference in every dealership I have been through, I decided that my cars are running on All-Weather tires.
I don't switch, I don't have wheels scratched by an idiot, I don't store, I don't carry two wheels in the trunk and other two in the back seats compromising the leather or its fine shape.

I am running fast and sporty and never had an issue. And where I live, summer is short, too much hassle for nothing. The summer toy has the summers, but my DD is an All-Weather.

Yeah, a vehicle with dedicated tires is nice, but it comes with pain if you don't do it yourself (and I don't).

So, I am running super fast in the summer with all-seasons and doing just fine, leaving behind a lot of cars with proper tires. I love the all weather.

Tires won't suffice anyway: It's about the driver too....
Appreciate 2
lago1974166.00
Efthreeoh16870.00
      10-13-2019, 05:50 PM   #33
DgjoX6M2016
F86, G05, E91
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86 X6M

Just put my winters on.....

PSSs in basement. All cleaned up, clay barred, and iron x. OEM winter set woth Pirelli Scorpions on with fresh ceramic coating. We had a couple cool nights and mornings and the PSSs just don't work around 45ish degrees. Slip sliding away....
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
lago1974166.00
clee1982796.00
      10-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #34
lago1974
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i xDrive

Garage List
2023 X5 M50i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
Due to lack of care and all the apprentices that are actually installing your wheels in the car, the smudges and indifference in every dealership I have been through, I decided that my cars are running on All-Weather tires.
I don't switch, I don't have wheels scratched by an idiot, I don't store, I don't carry two wheels in the trunk and other two in the back seats compromising the leather or its fine shape.

I am running fast and sporty and never had an issue. And where I live, summer is short, too much hassle for nothing. The summer toy has the summers, but my DD is an All-Weather.

Yeah, a vehicle with dedicated tires is nice, but it comes with pain if you don't do it yourself (and I don't).

So, I am running super fast in the summer with all-seasons and doing just fine, leaving behind a lot of cars with proper tires. I love the all weather.

Tires won't suffice anyway: It's about the driver too....
All really solid arguments you make here. Agreed
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #35
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kooch View Post
Well said. I made the switch to dedicated snows and summers years ago when I was into Saab's and haven't looked back. As I was told, all seasons are really no seasons if you care about performance.
The all seasons on the X1 aren't bad in the summer but not as good as summer tires.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 10:10 AM   #36
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
I have yet to see a tire comparison video that includes an all-season tire. Then again, most of these videos are designed to sell more wheels and tires.
The answer is simple, it's about compromise: all season tires suck in summer and they suck in winter

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2019, 01:46 PM   #37
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
The answer is simple, it's about compromise: all season tires suck in summer and they suck in winter
No, they don’t. They are doing excellent actually.
Go to tirerack and read al the thousands of reviews.
They are doing just fine.
Yeah, Quebec forced you to mandatory equip the vehicle with winter. I am not forced by my province (which is absolutely wonderful) and I am getting lower temperatures and more snow for a longer time than you in Montreal, yet, I never got stuck even in the ski area which sometimes is just not cleaned, and my X is just wonderful in every weather... All Weather...

And keep in mind. Some are all season, some are all weather. All weather have half summer profile, half winter profile.

Last edited by Teutonic; 10-14-2019 at 01:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16870.00
      10-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #38
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, they don’t. They are doing excellent actually.
Go to tirerack and read al the thousands of reviews.
They are doing just fine.
Yeah, Quebec forced you to mandatory equip the vehicle with winter. I am not forced by my province (which is absolutely wonderful) and I am getting lower temperatures and more snow for a longer time than you in Montreal, yet, I never got stuck even in the ski area which sometimes is just not cleaned, and my X is just wonderful in every weather... All Weather...

And keep in mind. Some are all season, some are all weather. All weather have half summer profile, half winter profile.
I've been using dedicated sets of summer and winter tires well before they made it mandatory in Quebec, I've been doing so since my first car 30 years ago. I am also actually very glad that they did make it mandatory, it makes the roads much safer (statistically proven) without all the folks that think they are invincible in their AWD cars with all season tires.

All season/weather tires are an inherent compromise. It's physically impossible to design/manufacture a tire that is optimal in all conditions. You end up sacrificing both winter and summer performance. They work OK right until you need that extra grip and then it's too late.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-14-2019 at 03:03 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-15-2019, 07:21 PM   #39
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I've been using dedicated sets of summer and winter tires well before they made it mandatory in Quebec, I've been doing so since my first car 30 years ago. I am also actually very glad that they did make it mandatory, it makes the roads much safer (statistically proven) without all the folks that think they are invincible in their AWD cars with all season tires.

All season/weather tires are an inherent compromise. It's physically impossible to design/manufacture a tire that is optimal in all conditions. You end up sacrificing both winter and summer performance. They work OK right until you need that extra grip and then it's too late.
I do not argue about the results of a dedicated tire. Don't get me wrong: I run ultra rubber on my summer toy.
However, I do disagree in regards with the all weather. I took my driver's licence (and the racing one) in Europe. Not where is given for free (Canada).
I don't sacrifice anything. I don't need optimal, I need good (some are very good). The rest I do it myself.
They work very well not OK if you know when is time for replacement. And I run fast; very fast. And I pass many Ms and AMG with my setup.

Yes, dedicated are great. Until a sudden snow storm hits you in the middle of august or June (happens every year). Suddenly, your vehicle is a sliding duck. For where I am living this is the best for me.

And BTW: an AWD with all weather is much better than a one axle with winter. Now I let you do the math in terms of how many one axle traction vehicles are on the road. Also, keeping a wealthy amount of rubber (DWS tells you when your snow pattern is gone for example), helps a lot. A very used or bold winter tire = zero.

Yes, there is some loss, however, I you know the limits of your setup, you will do very well. Just know how, when and with how much you can attack a situation. Easy.

In regards with your statistics, I really hate when the state police tells me what should I install on the vehicle. Better invest in a tough law for driving school requirements and have the driving exam given in theory (20 minutes maxim in a class supervised by Police only), then if you pass, a skills driving exam in a safe environment with a Police officer, if you pass that a day driving exam with only a Police office on your side and after that a night driving exam with a Police officer on your side as well. That's how is done in Europe. Then you will see less accidents for sure.
Driving is not an entitlement.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #40
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do not argue about the results of a dedicated tire. Don't get me wrong: I run ultra rubber on my summer toy.
However, I do disagree in regards with the all weather. I took my driver's licence (and the racing one) in Europe. Not where is given for free (Canada).
I don't sacrifice anything. I don't need optimal, I need good (some are very good). The rest I do it myself.
They work very well not OK if you know when is time for replacement. And I run fast; very fast. And I pass many Ms and AMG with my setup.
For a daily driven car on regular street use, the difference between summer tires and all-season is not as great as the difference between winter tire and all-season tires. I can understand that there is no real need to go with pure summer tires on a mainstream vehicle. However, for the winter, a single emergency situation makes it very well worth it. The difference between all-season and winter tires is that dramatic.

Quote:
Yes, dedicated are great. Until a sudden snow storm hits you in the middle of august or June (happens every year). Suddenly, your vehicle is a sliding duck. For where I am living this is the best for me.
I don't get snow in the summer where I live. With tire swaps in mid-april and mid-november, I've never got caught with the wrong tires. But I can understand someone wanting to run all season tires during the summer months in an environment that sees snow in June.

Quote:
And BTW: an AWD with all weather is much better than a one axle with winter. Now I let you do the math in terms of how many one axle traction vehicles are on the road.

Yes, there is some loss, however, I you know the limits of your setup, you will do very well. Just know how, when and with how much you can attack a situation. Easy.
I'll have to disagree on that one. While AWD with all-season might maybe have an advantage in straight line acceleration, it will be at a disadvantage when cornering and when braking where AWD does not help.

While there might be the exceptional driver that has way above average skills, it is not the case for the masses. Before they made winter tires mandatory, it was inevitable, during the first snow storm of the year, you would see all the AWD vehicles in the ditch.

Quote:
Also, keeping a wealthy amount of rubber (DWS tells you when your snow pattern is gone for example), helps a lot. A very used or bold winter tire = zero.
For sure. A bald tire will not provide much grip.

Quote:
In regards with your statistics, I really hate when the state police tells me what should I install on the vehicle.
I beg to disagree. Having been rear ended once by someone with all-season tires in my E46 M3 (before it was mandated by law), I am very happy it is now compulsory. And BTW, there are so many other things dedicated by regulation on our cars for safety purposes.

Quote:
Better invest in a tough law for driving school requirements and have the driving exam given in theory (20 minutes maxim in a class supervised by Police only), then if you pass, a skills driving exam in a safe environment with a Police officer, if you pass that a day driving exam with only a Police office on your side and after that a night driving exam with a Police officer on your side as well. That's how is done in Europe. Then you will see less accidents for sure.
Driving is not an entitlement.
Being of Austrian descent, I can fully appreciate what you are saying here and agree wholeheartedly.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 10-16-2019 at 12:00 PM..
Appreciate 3
Mavus2008.50
clee1982796.00
      10-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #41
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
But depending on location they can be the best option in spring and fall
      10-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #42
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
For a daily driven car on regular street use, the difference between summer tires and all-season is not as great as the difference between winter tire and all-season tires. I can understand that there is no real need to go with pure summer tires on a mainstream vehicle. However, for the winter, a single emergency situation makes it very well worth it. The difference between all-season and summer is that dramatic.
      10-16-2019, 10:54 AM   #43
siyadsalah
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2019, 05:42 PM   #44
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
However, for the winter, a single emergency situation makes it very well worth it. The difference between all-season and winter tires is that dramatic.
No, is not. Know your car and your limits and you will do just fine. A good All Season is quite performant.

Quote:
I don't get snow in the summer where I live. With tire swaps in mid-april and mid-november, I've never got caught with the wrong tires.
Is just a matter of when not If. Just give it time. Then you will realize that an All Weather can handle everything unexpected. In September we had warm weather except one day when we got 25 cm of snow in a few hours.

Quote:
I'll have to disagree on that one. While AWD with all-season might maybe have an advantage in straight line acceleration, it will be at a disadvantage when cornering and when braking where AWD does not help.
I agree to disagree. Actually an AWD vehicle shines because the power is sent to all wheels (or most exactly to the wheel with most traction in xDrive system) and you have more wheels pushing. Keep in mind that we are talking about a 50/50 weight distribution vehicle (so we can eliminate further unnecessary comments).
Or your comment disputes and tries to cancel any benefit AWD brings in as a system, especially on low traction situations (winter) which was designed for.
Either way, I stick with my all-weather regardless of your opinion which targets extreme driving behaviour, which does not apply to the majority of the drivers. Even so, a Continental DWS is rated at 270km/h and is designed to handle a certain speed and a certain breaking distance. So, by no means the new all weather will fall under "mediocre" formula as some of you suggest.

Keep in mind that this video presents three different tires on the same vehicle which is RWD (M4). The difference is obvious. A RWD must have winter. But the video fails to mention that this is on a RWD situation.

Yes, you will shine with your summer when is dry and wonderful and you will shine in your winter when the snow is there. But for everything in between, the all season is the one that will handle everything very well.

In the end, the fact that my vehicle does not see the dealership two times more per year, the wheels are untouched, the vehicle does not stay with two big wheels in the trunk and other two sagging the leather in the rear seat for the whole day (if is done in the same day), there will be no smudges, scratches or surprises, and no rookie will play with my wheels and my vehicle, worth for me more than you think!!!
As a note, I am the guy who trade the braking distance for less braking dust. I love my cars very much and the less they see the tech, the better.
Appreciate 0