ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-08-2018, 08:14 PM   #23
jbellis
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4

Z4 Roof Motor Removal Through Rear Window

I repaired my 2007 BMW Z4’s convertible top hydraulic unit by removing the entire convertible top, with the help of a great Youtube video. Others have posted that you can get to the motor by reaching it through the trunk. I tried reaching it that way and decided it was too difficult. When reinstalling the whole top, I realized that you should be able to access the pump by removing only the rear, aluminum “C-channel” that holds the rear of the top, and lifting up the rear window section. In the following video I show the procedure, although not every step (since my roof was already detached by that point).

I am pretty sure this procedure enables accessing the motor without removing the whole convertible top but I won't consider it definite until someone confirms it. Please post a comment on the Youtube page if you use this procedure successfully. Thanks!

Full notes page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WVV ... sp=sharing
Appreciate 2
kaybat125.50
StickMon635.00
      09-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #24
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Wanna do mine ?
      09-24-2018, 10:43 PM   #25
jhstealth
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 porsche cayman S

thats sweet. good to know whenever my pump goes.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 06:01 AM   #26
abelgonzaleZ4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 SilvrConvert 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
As part of my soft top refurbishment (new motor, new lift cylinders, new top, new head liner) I relocated the pump motor to the trunk. DIY instruction is attached.
Does anyone in California do this? Or going to do this soon? Maybe we can do our cars together? With some help, it can go a lot faster and safer.

Hit me up.
Bakersfield, Ca here.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2018, 04:19 PM   #27
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

yeah, need a group repair... who wants to do it in nyc ?
      11-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #28
Gr3g4
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbellis View Post
Full notes page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WVV ... sp=sharing
jbellis, can you please post the link again? Unfortunately it's not showing correctly. Would be very grateful.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #29
Carsareart
Rep
Drives: 2003 3.0 z4 Convertible

I have my z4 taken apart. The u tube and instructions posted online have been great. As I put it all bact together i am wondering how everyone is running the hydraulic lines and extended electric line?
I am thinking about using a plastic container to house the pump in the trunk and using a few cable ties to attach it all to the forward wall in the trunk.
Plastic container would be a tall shoe box or something like that.
Also what about the hydraulic release.
My top stopped working due to a blown seal in the passenger hydraulic hinge. I ordered two hinges and the extended lines from top hydraulics inc.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 06:39 PM   #30
shibby170
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Roadster; 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
yeah, need a group repair... who wants to do it in nyc ?
Hey, you do yours yet?
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 09:45 PM   #31
Carsareart
Rep
Drives: 2003 3.0 z4 Convertible

Mine is finished. I have installed the reman hinges and moved the pump into the trunk.
Overall it was not too bad. I have lost some trunk space, i do not think that is a big deal. I have noticed after building a cover for the box the pump noise is much quieter. I ordered the longer lines, after playing around a bit i think i could of stayed with the standard length lines.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2019, 09:52 PM   #32
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby170 View Post
Hey, you do yours yet?
Nope, i didn't have a garage last year.. i bought the house across the street and have a garage now.. i need to source a motor now.. a bit low in priority, with kids so driving the mdx more than this car..

i bought the hose kit end of last year.. so at least I got that.. lol
      03-24-2019, 04:51 PM   #33
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
shibby170, rsutoratosu, my motor died on me today, and I'm in the NYC area. Syosset specifically. Have a garage, willing to share. Would be cool to help each other on this! Feel free to email at karanssikka@gmail.com and we can get a group email thread going.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #34
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtercoffee View Post
shibby170, rsutoratosu, my motor died on me today, and I'm in the NYC area. Syosset specifically. Have a garage, willing to share. Would be cool to help each other on this! Feel free to email at karanssikka@gmail.com and we can get a group email thread going.

I'm probably the worse mechanics out there, I was just in the er last week, have hurt my c5-c7 disk, I'm probably not helpful and cant turn my neck as much either.

have you sourced a replacement motor yet?
      04-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #35
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
I started working on it today using Jack's method of removing the aluminum C channel, thinking it would easy. I was surprised to find that even with good instructions, it's a massive PITA any which way you do it. Mainly my weather stripping was in very tightly, and j had to pull really hard to get it out. Then, getting the c-channel out was not easy due to the aluminum clips gripping it pretty good. Then once I did all that, the motor would not come out due to it being cable tied really deep into the hole. I had to use my phone's camera with flash on, while simultaneously sticking needle nose pliers in the hole, exactly like laparoscopic surgery. Finally when you think the motor should come out, it still doesn't!!! I used my excellent camera to find that I needed to wiggle the housing in a certain way. After a lot of wiggling, the darn thing came out, but it's still attached to all it's cables and lines so you can't pull it out 100%. I used a flat head screwdriver driver to pry open the motor housing and sure enough, filled with rusty water. This took me all day with plenty of breaks.

Honestly I wonder if removing the whole roof might've been easier. But I've heard that's a major pita as well, and potentially more risky. For the first time I actually wish I paid the money to get this fixed 😂 what held me back was that I wanted to see the state of the motor to know how it broke, I wanted to see and clean the drains, and I wanted it to be relocated to the trunk, not sure if the dealership would do all that. And I hate going to the dealership, can't trust em.

Next step is going to be testing the motor to see if she'll work once dry. I'm skeptical but also hopeful. If I can't get it to work again, I'll order the replacement mustang motor, saw one on eBay. They're surprisingly hard to find, given how cheap they are.

I'm super thankful to the Z4 community for posting so many guides and videos. I'm happy to answer any questions via PM if anyone is going through the same thing and needs help.
Appreciate 1
StickMon635.00
      04-07-2019, 10:50 PM   #36
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
On the plus side, the only tool you need to the motor using the c-channel method is a 10mm socket and ratchet. I used this as an excuse to buy a comprehensive socket and ratchet set

This post claims that you can remove the motor without removing the c channel, through the trunk with shelf removed, but I don't see how it's humanly possible to locate and cut the zip tie and wiggle the motor out this way.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ving-roof-DONE
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #37
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Replaced the motor with the ford mustang motor, and it works!!! I've never been so happy. The new motor is a lot faster than stock!

One of hydraulic lines was a bit short, it just barely accommodates moving the motor to the trunk. I can see why Jack made the strain relief now. Instead of having that line do a turn at the metal outlet, I bent the metal so the line goes straight out.

The mustang motor tip was amazing. Also putting the C channel back in was easy once I removed the aluminum clips. Putting the weather stripping back in was much easier than taking it out. Thanks so, so much Jack!
Appreciate 1
StickMon635.00
      04-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #38
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

ZOMG ! how much was the mustang motor, i see the bmw motor at 650..
      04-14-2019, 11:14 PM   #39
filtercoffee
I like Coffee & Z4s.
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW Z4MC  [0.00]
Lucked out and found a used one on eBay for $170. Looked brand new compared to the corroded one which came out of my car.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #40
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Thanks.. i found a few that says 05-2014 pump.. gonna have to look at the mustang forums to make sure they're all the same
      05-15-2019, 03:17 AM   #41
richard@jigsaww.co.uk
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 E85

Hi. Trying to access the pdf but it wont let me?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #42
Mohleri
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

I did my relocate to trunk by partly removing the top on drivers side. Lifted just enough to get access to the pump. then cut a small part of the plastic cover over the rear wheel inside trunk. it was fairly easy.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #43
nadaclue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Urban Green 2003 3.0

mustang roof motor information

I just finished up my roof top motor relocation this weekend as well, I utilized the Ford Mustang motor/pump assembly too.
I'm attaching pictures of the pump assembly I used in case it helps other people out. I received the assembly with some of the wiring attached, including a disconnect so I reused that as well.

Some basic info on the pump I used:
  • Purchased for $180 off ebay.
  • It was listed being for 2008-2014 Ford Mustang.
  • Made by Hoerbiger (same as the Z4).
  • Pump assembly showed part numbers S109024 and HB80069-002P.
  • Electric motor shows part numbers 3M5042, 1090069, and HB80006-019C.
  • For wiring, Mustang red to BMW green/grey and Mustang yellow to BMW blue/grey.
  • The banjo bolts on the mustang pump are the same size as the BMW, however the inlet/outlets are on the opposite side. Meaning the holes in the bolts are on the bottom when screwed in instead of the top. I'm not sure if this matters but I reused the BMW bolts just in case.
  • The pump outlets were labeled 11/13 on one and 12/14. This runs backwards from BMW's setup! I initially plumbed it per the numbering on the pump and it ran in reverse, the open button closed and vice versa. So I had to switch the hydraulic lines so the 11/13 were attached to the pump at 12/14 position, and the bmw lines 12/14 were at the 11/13 position on the pump. Once done, it runs correctly.

I also did not notch the plastic, but used a 1.5" circular saw drill bit to drill a hole in the plastic to the left of the storage shelf, there's a picture below showing the location I put it in. Then the wires and hydraulic lines were easy to run and I zip tied the pump to the grounding spot on the left side of the trunk. Be sure the hydraulic lines are on the top as I'm fairly certain the pump pickup for the hydraulic fluid is on the opposite side.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:02 PM   #44
beyondbored
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 08 - E85

Hey all, my 08 Z4's top just stopped working the other day. The latches lock/unlock fine (down and up) and the windows go down when they are supposed to which rules out (with my little knowledge) that it's an electrical/computer issue and the switch in the boot isn't the issue. I had just gotten back from vacation, put the top down to drive into work as the morning was super nice, and the top's motor sounded like it was working pretty hard than what I've ever heard before, however, it was successfully able to open. I drove to work and then tried to put up the top. As I held the close button, their was no response besides the hooks releasing. After pressing the button a couple of times and holding it for an extended period of time, the motor sounded like it spooled up and it tried to close the top however it sounded super weak and only made it halfway before it failed. It hasn't made a sound since.

I have been looking up tutorials about how to remove the top and check the actuators, hydro lines, and the motor and as I read, it seems that my motor is likely the issue. I don't have much experience working with cars or anything but have been getting more and more into it since I got my Z4 just over a year ago. I'd like to do this whole getting a mustang motor and placing it in my trunk (if the motor ends up being the issue), however, this seems a bit daunting for a newbie like myself. I'm wondering if there is anyone withing the Washington DC area that may want to assist or meet up or anything really.

One of the tutorials which seems to be the most likely course of action I may plan on taking is this one - https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ving-roof-DONE - where the individual was able to access the motor without the removal of the roof by removing the shelf in the trunk.
Appreciate 0