ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

09-15-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster

RTD Shifter Options

Hey Folks,

I am going to take a chance and try and purchase an RTD shifter.

I am not sure which shifter and which DSSR option I should specify. Here is a pic of their options. Any guidance on the DSSR is much appreciated.

Here is the shifter listing on the RTD website, and a pic of the options below.

Thery have a shifter for the E46 M3, I am wondering if that is the right one to purchase. There are no DSSR options for that shifter.

Should I be buying the E46 M3 shifter, and using it with my stock DSSR?

I've followed the advice in this thread, but I want to be sure I have it right.

Thanks!
Eamonn aka eggman

Last edited by eggman51; 09-15-2019 at 04:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 11:52 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggman51 View Post
Hey Folks,

I am going to take a chance and try and purchase an RTD shifter.

I am not sure which shifter and which DSSR option I should specify. Here is a pic of their options. Any guidance on the DSSR is much appreciated.

Here is the shifter listing on the RTD website, and a pic of the options below.

Thery have a shifter for the E46 M3, I am wondering if that is the right one to purchase. There are no DSSR options for that shifter.

Should I be buying the E46 M3 shifter, and using it with my stock DSSR?

I've followed the advice in this thread, but I want to be sure I have it right.

Thanks!
Eamonn aka eggman
Not sure why you'd choose something different from what ANILE8 used (he literally provides a direct link to the shifter model). But RTD's website states the shifter is the same for all models listed with the exception of the E8x/9x. The screen shot you posted above says "DSSR (Double Shear Selector Rod) depending on your transmission model (N54, N55, S65)" - none of those trims apply to the E85/86. On the bottom of that same page, it also says "Tags: 135i, 1M, 335i, automotive, BMW, BMW Shifter, E82, E8X, E90, E92, E9X, M3, N54, N55, Racing Shifter, S65, Solid Shifter, SSK"

Re DSSR, I would just take ANILE8's advice and go stock. But if you're keen on experimenting, seems like your best bet is to contact RTD directly on DSSR options. FWIW RTD has an E46 DSSR listed for $78.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 09-16-2019 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Thanks for the thorough and well thought out reply. I attempted to place an order for the E46 one (sam one referenced in the linked thread). I got thrown off by the E8x labelling on the RTD website.

I placed the order, but the RTD site threw an error when attempting to use a credit card. I placed the order for a direct transfer, but will not send them money until I get some signs of life from the company. There's no recourse once I transfer the money, at least with a credit card there is a dispute process.

Such a shame these guys have a great product but don't seem to be sound in their business acumen.

Thanks again.
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 02:05 PM   #4
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the thorough and well thought out reply. I attempted to place an order for the E46 one (sam one referenced in the linked thread). I got thrown off by the E8x labelling on the RTD website.

I placed the order, but the RTD site threw an error when attempting to use a credit card. I placed the order for a direct transfer, but will not send them money until I get some signs of life from the company. There's no recourse once I transfer the money, at least with a credit card there is a dispute process.

Such a shame these guys have a great product but don't seem to be sound in their business acumen.

Thanks again.
Eamonn aka eggman
I could’ve swore they had a US distributor...
      09-16-2019, 02:34 PM   #5
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

They do.

This was his response to me:

Quote:
I haven’t been able to get a hold of them either.

John Pham
www.DocRace.com
It's a shame, cuz I really want this style shifter, but don't want to hack up the interior of my car. Might try the "redesign" approach to a CAE shifter, but an RTD one would be much simpler.

Cheers,
Eamonn aka eggman
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

I had mine on order since February. Nothing is happening now and no response from them since April. This is across many platforms on many forums.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #7
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I actually heard back from them today!

via Facebook Messenger, he apologized for the delay, they are changing website providers, they expect to be back up and running in 2 to 4 weeks and they will be having a sale when thery re-open. He claimes busines is good and they are stable. I am going to place an order when they re-open their website in ~ October, 2019.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #8
ZeD4Mr
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Skyer Z4MR

Quote:

via Facebook Messenger, he apologized for the delay, they are changing website providers, they expect to be back up and running in 2 to 4 weeks and they will be having a sale when thery re-open. He claimes busines is good and they are stable. I am going to place an order when they re-open their website in ~ October, 2019.
Quote:

That's great news. Did they say they will be producing Z4 kits like before or we'll have to Frankenstein ours?

Been waiting for mine since February and now the season is almost over.

FB Group-- > fb.com/groups/z4group
Instagram --> @Skyermotorsport
FB Page-- > fb.com/Skyermotorsport
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeD4Mr View Post
That's great news. Did they say they will be producing Z4 kits like before or we'll have to Frankenstein ours?

Been waiting for mine since February and now the season is almost over.
I was lucky enough to grab one from their very last batch. The shop who installed it had to frankenstein. Having said that, I absolutely love this thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2019, 10:40 AM   #10
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

This is my exchange with RTD from Facebook:

I am assuming it's still the E46 shifter, and not an E85/6 specific shifter.

If they do come back online with their website, I plan to order one. I love the idea of this style shifter, but don't want to butcher my daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I don't think it's specific. They may assume because they are similar engines and transmissions but I don't think the shifter is 100% the same. I'm not sure because I didn't do the install myself. The shop said its wasn't 100% fit.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 08:13 AM   #12
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

Anyone have any updates on this?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #13
eggman51
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I placed an order for an RTD shifter. It went through on their website, I used my Visa so worst case I can dispute the charges if it all goes to shit.

Order was placed today (Dec 20, 2019). Am hoping it arrives to me in Canada by March, 2020, so I can install it in April, just in time for the track season.

I am not sure if ordering expensive, bespoke product from a company based in a country undergoing a revolution is such a good idea. I will chalk it up to trying to support small business innovation

That and nobody else makes a product like this

I will keep this post updated over the coming months.

Cheers,
Eamonn
Appreciate 1
Vanne1593.00
      12-21-2019, 01:42 AM   #14
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

lol had to have a little chuckle there..
fingers crossed.