ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by itdnwiwbp View Post
One of my favorites yet! Awesome collection of BMWs there. I saw a Z1 just this morning at La Jolla Independent. Thanks, Rick!
itdnwiwbp,

Great, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Somehow, I'd never managed to spot a Z1 in the U.S., prior to the one at the Saratoga Springs Automobile Museum--but California is probably the right place to be looking. It's pretty much the last remaining bastion of car enthusiasts in the whole country.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #24
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3Pilot View Post
Nice.. thx for the photos and description.
M3Pilot,

My pleasure--I'm glad you enjoyed them!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #25
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
once again, the drives and pictures the members here put together are awe inspiring. Absolutely loved the read and the pics..
thanks for sharing
Vanne,

I'm very glad that you enjoyed the report on the Hudson River Valley. It was a lot of fun to make the trip and to write about the places I visited.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #26
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Maniac View Post
Such an awesome post! Yet, you completely bipased my Alma Mater, which you know is filled with historic content from the revolutionary war, like the great chain, the 3 tier defense, and civil war artifacts, including having the first/last cannons to fire of the civil war!
BMW Maniac,

Yes, I was sorely tempted to go by the Military Academy at West Point! Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time to tour the museum, and I gather that the post-9/11 security means that regular visitors can't enter the academy itself.

I'll definitely hit the museum the next time I'm in that area. As for the school itself, you may have to write me a letter of recommendation to help me get in!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #27
dazed^
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick F. View Post
dazed,

Glad you enjoyed the report!

Regarding "kill," I wasn't sure what it meant so I looked it up on the always-accurate Internet… Apparently it comes from "Middle Dutch" (1150-1500), so I'm not surprised that it doesn't translate currently. Check out kill (body of water) on Wikipedia.

The modern Dutch word "beek" reminds me of a story. When my wife and I first went to England, we decided it would be fun to hike from the town of Haworth to the setting for Emily Brontė's Wuthering Heights. We had directions in a little pamphlet. After a couple of miles, however, the guidance was to "follow the beck." Well, we had no idea what a "beck" was!

We later learned that a beck is a stream. We had followed the stream, since there wasn't anywhere to cross, and it all worked out well. Thankfully, it was a beautiful day on Haworth Moor, and no sudden "wuthering" showed up.

Rick
Cool, yes no doubt "beek" is indeed related to "beck". It's well possible that the medieval Dutch "kill" has completely vanished. Such old texts are nigh unreadable nowadays. Perhaps that with relatively few speakers more rapid changes do occur in a language!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Quote:
GH,

Thanks much!

Regarding the TV show, however, I can imagine the director already: "Cut! Cut!! Rick, you can't just go rambling on about some guy with two wives whose house doesn't even exist anymore! Let's get back to the restaurant reviews…"

Actually, a show like this would be a pretty good comedy. I can imagine the laughter I'd get every time I fold my 6'6" frame into or out of the Z4!

Rick
6'6"! Love it I'm 6'5".

My wife calls me Mr Incredible with the cars I like to drive. If you've seen the kids movie, The Incredibles, you'll get it. If not, here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW411UUOcSI

I'd like to think she calls me Mr Incredible for other reasons, but I guess not.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:28 PM   #29
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
6'6"! Love it I'm 6'5".

My wife calls me Mr Incredible with the cars I like to drive. If you've seen the kids movie, The Incredibles, you'll get it. If not, here's a clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW411UUOcSI

I'd like to think she calls me Mr Incredible for other reasons, but I guess not.
GH32335i,

I'm glad I'm not the only idiot, uh, I mean "tall fellow" who routinely stuffs himself into a very small car! Now that I've seen the Incredibles clip, I'll have to watch the whole thing--it looks like fun.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2013, 10:01 AM   #30
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Quote:
GH32335i,

I'm glad I'm not the only idiot, uh, I mean "tall fellow" who routinely stuffs himself into a very small car! Now that I've seen the Incredibles clip, I'll have to watch the whole thing--it looks like fun.

Rick
Yeah, I get sick of hearing, "geez you fit in that thing?"

It's a decent kids movie. Can't compare with Shrek though!
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2013, 05:48 AM   #31
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3Cab/SMG/Dinan-Sold;335CabSld

Absolutely fascinating! Enjoyed so much. Mr Chips to the Corvair...

What a beautiful country, and incredible history.

A local business had Z1's for sale. small car. Those doors could be damaged if riders didn't exit right. You couldn't just sit on the side of the seat, hang out and talk!
The dealer principal did exactly that, and the car in the showroom had to be repaired.
Thank you so much!
DaveL

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 07-20-2013 at 08:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:58 PM   #32
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH32335i View Post
Yeah, I get sick of hearing, "geez you fit in that thing?"

It's a decent kids movie. Can't compare with Shrek though!
You guys. I have the other problem. Rick you have a full foot on me; when I had my Vette coupe (an '06) I was a full 215 lbs. I didn't fit in the car either....

I've lost 32 lbs. However, I haven't found a fix for being vertically challenged.
Sitting in many cars I simply cannot see the front end.

Sitting on motorcycles? Forget-about-it. Remember the CB750? Listed severely to starboard...No I never bought one. And BMW motorcycles?

Take care.

My wife's cars: Had a few... I'm the Navigator, capable of getting us lost at any time! Drives are longer!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #33
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Last night there was an impromptu gathering of gear heads from the regional section of the forum. I took my Olympus OMD and my Caddy wagon.
Here's a link.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...post1584516465

I made a nuance of myself with my camera!

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #34
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

Railway photos

Love the Photos of the old station.

My Father used to travel by train a lot. He crossed India by train during WW II to catch up to the ship he was assigned too. Then when I was very young, we would take him to the train in Halifax. There was no airport?

We lived in a rough neighbourhood A baby died after finding turpentine under a sink, and drinking it. The father was a stoker on a frigate. Tatoos. I wasn't used to that. One day he took me and his surviving son to the frigate. Wonderful day.

Another day he took us to the railway yard. We rode on all the steam locomotives all day long. Came home tired and dirty. Enthralled with trains.

Tatoos weren't so bad after all. (I was 7 I think when this happened. 60 or so years ago.)

Love your drives, photos and tales.

Last edited by DaveL--2mnycars; 08-03-2013 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: sometimers
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #35
teezee
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4, E46 325iT

Great stuff as always, it's always interesting to see your home area through someone else's eyes. Here's a shot of Storm King, as you missed out on the view.
Attached Images

2011 E89 Z4 M Sport (Euro Delivery, Performance Center redelivery), Extended Nappa leather, Eisenmann Sport Exhaust
2003 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #36
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

That color combo is going to be one of the more sought-after ones when these cars are cheap enough for most enthusiasts to get ahold of them. Red on white in a vert, GORGEOUS, but you dont see it a lot.

Really nice car. I cant wait for a few years so I can afford one!
      08-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #37
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mnycars View Post
Absolutely fascinating! Enjoyed so much. Mr Chips to the Corvair...

What a beautiful country, and incredible history.

A local business had Z1's for sale. small car. Those doors could be damaged if riders didn't exit right. You couldn't just sit on the side of the seat, hang out and talk!
The dealer principal did exactly that, and the car in the showroom had to be repaired.
Thank you so much!
DaveL
Dave,

Glad you enjoyed the trip report! I've been working on the next one, but I still have a ways to go. Stay tuned!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #38
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Last night there was an impromptu gathering of gear heads from the regional section of the forum. I took my Olympus OMD and my Caddy wagon.
Here's a link.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...post1584516465

I made a nuance of myself with my camera!
Dave,

Looks like it was an interesting collection--thanks for the link. I make it a rule to always be a nuisance of myself with a camera!

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #39
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Love the Photos of the old station.

My Father used to travel by train a lot. He crossed India by train during WW II to catch up to the ship he was assigned too. Then when I was very young, we would take him to the train in Halifax. There was no airport?

We lived in a rough neighbourhood A baby died after finding turpentine under a sink, and drinking it. The father was a stoker on a frigate. Tatoos. I wasn't used to that. One day he took me and his surviving son to the frigate. Wonderful day.

Another day he took us to the railway yard. We rode on all the steam locomotives all day long. Came home tired and dirty. Enthralled with trains.

Tatoos weren't so bad after all. (I was 7 I think when this happened. 60 or so years ago.)

Love your drives, photos and tales.
Dave,

Good grief! I'm glad you survived into adulthood. I was crazy about trains as a kid, too--but at some point, my interest in model trains morphed into seeing how fast I could get the locomotive around the track without derailing. From then on, it was cars and racing.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #40
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teezee View Post
Great stuff as always, it's always interesting to see your home area through someone else's eyes. Here's a shot of Storm King, as you missed out on the view.
teezee,

Wow, beautiful shot, beautiful car! I'm quite impressed with both. And I have to admit that I'm quite taken with the styling of the latest Z roadsters.

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #41
Rick F.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
That color combo is going to be one of the more sought-after ones when these cars are cheap enough for most enthusiasts to get ahold of them. Red on white in a vert, GORGEOUS, but you dont see it a lot.

Really nice car. I cant wait for a few years so I can afford one!
Z4inAZ,

Gotta agree regarding the color combination. Really nice (even for someone like me who's partial to black/red!)

Rick
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #42
DaveL--2mnycars
Iron Ring
Canada
Rep

We've been watching Z4's too. Roadsters and Coupes. Not the M's. (We still have aftermarket rims from our 2003 M3 Dinan 'vert. Wish I could find a car to put them on. )
They didn't fit on our 335 'vert. (darn car was about as fast as our M3!) And both were faster than our 850i!
Love the lines of the Z4's Wish the M3 engines were better.

Appreciate 0