ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-14-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

z4m All season Performance tire

OK guys, i know there are a few threads concerning the best OE sized tires, but does anyone have any advice concerning a reliable performance tire that does well in the rain?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Rain isn't as much an issue as most, Star Spec, PS2s, Vredesteins, all seem to work fine in the rain. The question is temperature. Extreme Summer Performance tires simply turn into hockey pucks as the temp gets lower. The cutoff rule of thumb is about 40 or below--from there on it's really risky. Many folks with PS2s over on the M3 section found that out, much to their chagrin, last winter. Rain + cold = wreck.

For example, I found PS2s to be fine in the rain at 50-60 degrees; same with the Star Specs. But running in colder temps is just asking for trouble based on the sad experience of others.

So, are you looking for cold wet weather tire advice or warm wet weather tire advice?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Rain isn't as much an issue as most, Star Spec, PS2s, Vredesteins, all seem to work fine in the rain. The question is temperature. Extreme Summer Performance tires simply turn into hockey pucks as the temp gets lower. The cutoff rule of thumb is about 40 or below--from there on it's really risky. Many folks with PS2s over on the M3 section found that out, much to their chagrin, last winter. Rain + cold = wreck.

For example, I found PS2s to be fine in the rain at 50-60 degrees; same with the Star Specs. But running in colder temps is just asking for trouble based on the sad experience of others.

So, are you looking for cold wet weather tire advice or warm wet weather tire advice?
yeah, it's my DD and i live in the northeast so im going to need some capable all season tires in the fall when the temp is cold, but not snowy yet
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
schwank
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 z4 m coupe

Most of my friends run toyo proxies, the jack of all trades, and master of none.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

The Michelin Pilot Sport A/S plus is about as good as it gets for all-season performance tires. Probably not as sharp as a good summer tire this time of year but I have them on my 5 series sport package and they are great in the cold weather.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #6
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
I run General UHPs. They are a bargain tire with slightly less road noise than the RFTs (still more than most) but they wear and stick pretty well. They are good at all temperatures here in Iowa (at lower temperatures they dont really "puck up" too bad )

It does have its setbacks as any tire will but I have found it to be better than expeted as far as a performance tire goes, especially for the price.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks for the info guys- zpost really is the best group of enthusiasts
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric View Post
I agree. Best group of enthusiasts and pretty friendly for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
The conti dws may also be a good option as well.
      07-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
They are good at all temperatures here in Iowa (at lower temperatures they dont really "puck up" too bad )
Nice pick up on my "hockey puck" comment Hawkeye!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
I agree. Best group of enthusiasts and pretty friendly for the most part.
Totally agree. Good group of folks here!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
dekaliber
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC, '11 JCW, '18 Z06

Quote:
yeah, it's my DD and i live in the northeast so im going to need some capable all season tires in the fall when the temp is cold, but not snowy yet
If you're living in the Northeast, I would think that you'd want a nice set of dedicated winter rubber on an Z4M to continue to drive it safely between Nov-March. The difference is dramatic between all-season and winter tires.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
^^ Yeah, even the UHP will not even move the car on level ground with some pact snow on the ground. Blizzaks are really good from what I hear. Personally I garage mine so I have no first hand experience
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #13
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaliber View Post
If you're living in the Northeast, I would think that you'd want a nice set of dedicated winter rubber on an Z4M to continue to drive it safely between Nov-March. The difference is dramatic between all-season and winter tires.
yeah, im getting a set just for snow, but i need a new set of all seasons. Also since im not tracking the car any time soon i figured if needed, i would sacrifice dry performance to ensure that i wouldnt wrap the car around a pole.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
wildag
///M'n it Up
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 ///M Roadster

Blizzaks and a hardtop got my Z4M Roadster through the massive snow fall in DC last winter. I wasn't able to go out on day one, but I was passing large trucks after the roads were snow plowed. Blizzaks did an amazing job of grip, even on packed snow. I never once lost traction. The hardtop was able to withstand several feet of snow on top of it; where as I'm not so sure the soft top would have done that well.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
I too have been looking for new tires.

My research, using TireRack, other tire sites and the forums + Google Search this is what I have found. I will show the TireRack info since it it easily reproducible.

TireRack lists their tires in 13 categories. These are the top categories:

Extreme Performance Summer
Max Performance Summer
Ultra High Performance Summer
Ultra High Performance All-Season
High Performance Summer
High Performance All-Season

If you are looking for the best 'GRIP' then the Extreme Performance is your category to be in.

As you can see the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11, Dunlop Star Specs and Yokohoma ADVAN AD07's, according to TireRack are the best in the dry. To my mind, these tires are just below a dedicated track tire. Don't get me wrong, the wet performance is good, but not what I am looking for in my daily driver.
The Star Spec is a better wet tire than the others in the list.

Next is the Max Performance category.

To my mind in this category, the two Michelin's are the best dry tire, but not by much over the Continental ExtremeContact DW. In the wet, the ExtremeContact DW is much better. Plus, the treadwear on the DW is much better.... The only negative on the DW is it's Steering Response. But not by much....

The last category since the original question asked about snow, is Ultra High-Performance All-Season.

Similar to the Max Performance category, the Michelin's and Bridgestone have better dry grip. So too again, the Continental ExtremeContact DWS's (different than the Continental ExtremeContact DW) have better wet but also the best snow ratings..

So to my mind, it all depends on where you live and how you drive your car.

If you live in SoCal where it very seldom rains, the Dunlop Star Specs are the best tire you can get if you factor in price.

If you, like me, need really good wet grip, the Continental ExtremeContact DW's are the best tire if you again factor in price.

And if you need some snow capability, then the Continental ExtremeContact DWS's are the best....

I have decided on the Continental ExtremeContact DW's for my car. My car is a daily driver but I never drive it in the snow and like I told Finnegan in another post, the best gripping tire in the world does me no good if I put the car into a Jersey barrier in a rain storm. The ExtremeContact DW's in the 235/40 size are very hard to find right now....

I did do a lot of research on the Vredesteins, but cannot find any real quantifiable data on it. I always take what is said on the forums with a grain of salt unless I know the person posting the review. Most people are not going to say that they just spent $800.00 for tires and they are shit.....

The only real negative response I found on the Vredesteins was a guy who ordered 285's but the section width was as a 275.

Ask yourself first, how do you drive and in what weather? Do you need performance or comfort? Do you drive 2000 miles a year or 20,000. Do you do track events or just a lazy drive with your significant other. Be truthful with yourself.

Yes, Skelekitty, it's your car, so take your husband for a drive....

Remember, these comments are my own and you should do your own research FIRST.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:48 PM   #16
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
I have decided on the Continental ExtremeContact DW's for my car. My car is a daily driver but I never drive it in the snow and like I told Finnegan in another post, the best gripping tire in the world does me no good if I put the car into a Jersey barrier in a rain storm. The ExtremeContact DW's in the 235/40 size are very hard to find right now....

I did do a lot of research on the Vredesteins, but cannot find any real quantifiable data on it. I always take what is said on the forums with a grain of salt unless I know the person posting the review. Most people are not going to say that they just spent $800.00 for tires and they are shit.....

The only real negative response I found on the Vredesteins was a guy who ordered 285's but the section width was as a 275.

Ask yourself first, how do you drive and in what weather? Do you need performance or comfort? Do you drive 2000 miles a year or 20,000. Do you do track events or just a lazy drive with your significant other. Be truthful with yourself.

Remember, these comments are my own and you should do your own research FIRST.
Great post and solid advice! Pretty much it's about finding the right tool for the job... Keep away from those Jersey barriers my friend!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
Skelekitty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 Imola Red Z4 MCoupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe  [10.00]
Quote:
Yes, Skelekitty, it's your car, so take your husband for a drive....
Oh, I've been known to burn up a few curvy roads with Finnegan in the passenger seat and I haven't seen him cry or cringe yet. Heat (and our doggie's health) permitting, I'll be doing just that this weekend.

p.s. Your post seemed somewhat vague. Could you please provide just a few details?

Eisenmann Sport Exhaust | RE X-Pipe | RE Transmission Mounts
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #18
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
kitty, you are a trip....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #19
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelekitty View Post
Oh, I've been known to burn up a few curvy roads with Finnegan in the passenger seat and I haven't seen him cry or cringe yet. Heat (and our doggie's health) permitting, I'll be doing just that this weekend.

p.s. Your post seemed somewhat vague. Could you please provide just a few details?
It's true, she can drive! Keeps right up with me and my buddies on our spirited drives.

Quote:
kitty, you are a trip....
You can say that again...dry sense of humor as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2010, 11:58 PM   #20
RussRamz
M Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe Mineral White

If you have the space, I would definitely recommend another set of wheels and dedicated winter tires. The Z4M needs a set of Summer tires and all-season tires IMO take away from the spirit of the car.

David Brent
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #21
ssummers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

I put a set of Yokohama Advan S4's on our S2000, great tire, worked well all year around.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #22
Eccentric
Lieutenant
Rep

thanks guys- this helped me a lot!
Appreciate 0