ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-21-2013, 11:23 PM   #1
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M coupe

Brake pedal travel

The last couple track days my brake pedal has seemed to have a little extra travel. I've bleed the brakes between events and it hasn't seem to help. Did some searching on the forums but haven't found anything. No sign of leaking, pads are fine, rotors are fine. Brakes seem to stop fine but the pedal is down a couple engines which makes heel toe almost impossible. I read another post about someone having to replace their master cylinder but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Any advice at what I should look at next?
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

If you have over heated the fluid, which is very likely unless its BLUE or similar, bleeding wont work.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

ATE Blue. This morning I get in to go to work and the pedal goes almost to the floor. Two pumps and it is back to normal all the way to work.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, CF rad & coil cover, M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage, painted reflectors, headlight washer disable, Skyer CF front lip, Short shift kit, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings, TC Kline DA coilovers, PB big brake kit, Skyer CF rear spoiler and diffuser, oil pressure and water temp guages.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
kvnchu
Private
Rep
Drives: z4m

How old is the fluid? Brake fluid even if it is in the bottle and never used will go bad unless sealed.

Why dont you just try a full flush with fresh fluid first?
Caterham S3 '01
Porsche 993 '96
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryb97 View Post
ATE Blue. This morning I get in to go to work and the pedal goes almost to the floor. Two pumps and it is back to normal all the way to work.
Pedals don't go to the floor due to any condition of the fluid. You have another issue that i would deal with asap.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

How are you bleeding the system?

If you are pumping the pedal, and doing a 2-man job you can easily ruin the master cylinder seal if you do it incorrectly
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
How are you bleeding the system?

If you are pumping the pedal, and doing a 2-man job you can easily ruin the master cylinder seal if you do it incorrectly
further thoughts on this???
I'm not sure i follow you.
do you mean the possibility of moving sediment etc into the seals if you bottom it out too far?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
further thoughts on this???
I'm not sure i follow you.
do you mean the possibility of moving sediment etc into the seals if you bottom it out too far?
Yea, if you're pumping and you push the pedal all the way to the floor there is a chance you can ruin the seal
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Using the Motive power bleeder.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #10
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I may just try another full flush with new fluid and see how it feels.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #11
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Yea, if you're pumping and you push the pedal all the way to the floor there is a chance you can ruin the seal
I was thinking cooked brake fluid or this, the master cylinder.

I personally am no longer a fan of ATE blue, sure it's cheap but it stains the reservoirs and can reach boiling point pretty easily. For a few bucks more I buy RBF 600 or PFC RH 665.
      10-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #12
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 Tii View Post

I personally am no longer a fan of ATE blue, sure it's cheap but it stains the reservoirs and can reach boiling point pretty easily. For a few bucks more I buy RBF 600 or PFC RH 665.
^+1 on the fluid
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

How much pad is left?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Barryb97
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

About 50% pad left.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
The last couple track days my brake pedal has seemed to have a little extra travel. I've bleed the brakes between events and it hasn't seem to help. Did some searching on the forums but haven't found anything. No sign of leaking, pads are fine, rotors are fine. Brakes seem to stop fine but the pedal is down a couple engines which makes heel toe almost impossible. I read another post about someone having to replace their master cylinder but I don't want to jump to conclusions. Any advice at what I should look at next?
Solution:
Attached Images

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #16
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyfrc View Post
Solution:
This is the solution for his pedal going to the floor?

The brakes weren't bled at all or he has a mechanical issue.

Boiled fluid wont put your foot to the floor!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #17
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

I'm sometimes wrong, but this sounds like master cylinder failure.
I've had them fail on 2 Chevy trucks and 1 Toyota, and that was pretty much the symptom.
      10-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #18
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

There has to be a leak somewhere. Fluids don't compress; if you aren't able to maintain hydraulic pressure via the pedal, the fluid has to be going somewhere. As others stated, master cylinder is a good place to start looking if you aren't seeing brake fluid on the ground.

Edit - this is assuming the system is bled of course
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #19
F360C
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 S54

Quote:

How many track days were you using the fluid for before you got it to boil? Even when I get the brakes this hot (see pic below) I still don't have any meaningful brake fade but so far I think I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with the superblue.

How are you liking the PFC fluid? I think that is what i am going to use next as I am only hearing great things about it and it isn't as expensive as the liguid gold Castrol SRF.

07 Z4 M Coupe AW/IR

Last edited by F360C; 10-29-2013 at 10:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #20
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F360C View Post
How many track days were you using the fluid for before you got it to boil? Even when I get the brakes this hot (see pic below) I still don't have any meaningful brake fade but so far I think I am the only one that doesn't have a problem with the superblue.

How are you liking the PFC fluid? I think that is what i am going to use next as I am only hearing great things about it and it isn't as expensive as the liguid gold Castrol SRF.
First time I faded was ATE Blue was my last day Summit Point Main, it was my 4th day. The first two were at VIR full course.

Second time was NJMP Lightning, probably had 6 days since it was last bled, and I was running Motul 600 then.

PFC was good, never had fade but over the years I've learned not to go on an entire season (about 12 days for me) without at least bleeding the brakes once or twice in between. So that means I do a full flush beginning of season which is around March and then bleed once in June and once in Sept. If I feel like I've been especially hard on the brakes, I may just do another flush mid-season.

I've hear from buddies that run Castrol they can go an entire year or two w/o bleeding them and they never encountered fade lol.
      10-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #21
kennyfrc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4MC

Quote:
I've hear from buddies that run Castrol they can go an entire year or two w/o bleeding them and they never encountered fade lol.

Mods: OEM Euro Headers, RPI Scoop

Daily: 2010 Tacoma Double Cab
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 04:30 PM   #22
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
About 50% pad left.
There you go.

This seems to be the primary reason to go with fixed calipers, since based on my experience, the pad wear makes little to no appreciable difference in a fixed caliper, multi-piston unit because the fluid is distributed over 4-6 times the number of tiny pistons rather than a HUGE one.

So as the pad wears down, pedal travel increases. Especially for track use, the larger single piston means more fluid volume is getting compressed over a spread out pad surface, resulting in what feels like further pedal travel, and as you brake hard for track use, flex in pad over the single pivot resulting in further feel of softness in pedal travel.

Typically, I ditch my track pads when they get down below 35% of pad left because on the stock sliding calipers, it gets increasingly difficult to get a good sense of how much braking you still have due to the increased vagueness of the pedal travel.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.

Last edited by The HACK; 10-25-2013 at 04:38 PM..
Appreciate 0