ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-15-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
duolab
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

Z4M Coupe Approach Angle question

So I plan on purchasing a Z4M coupe within the next year. Problem is my driveway has a pretty steep approach angle. The last thing i want to do is buy one and figure out i cant get it up my driveway. Can someone on here tell me what the approach angle is for the M coupe with a stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

I am lowered on KW V3's but have them set at their highest setting, which ends up being about an 1inch lower all around. I don't have much trouble unless the incline is really steep and then I go in at 45-60 degrees or so. It was way worse when I had the M-Stache installed. That thing made almost all driveways hard to get up and down without scratching. You have to be careful and not drive it like a truck but going slowly and at a slight angle, maybe 20-45degrees and you should be fine. Really depends on the incline.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #3
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

I have a steep angle driveway and the front fangs on stock suspension feared for their life every time I went up or down it. I picked up a set of RPI skid plates and they protected them from a few scraps. So, you could always go down that road if needed.

I ended up with coilovers and a front splitter, now I have to go down @ a 45% angle and still scrap on occasion. That reminds me, can't say enough about how strong the APR splitter is!

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Wide approaching angle helps but you will most likely to scrap! The RPI plates doing a great job protecting the Fangs on minor scraps but do be careful because they could potentially cause more damages (i.e. ripping the bumper off the fenders) if you hit a very high spot or at higher speed.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #5
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_riddler View Post
I have a steep angle driveway and the front fangs on stock suspension feared for their life every time I went up or down it. I picked up a set of RPI skid plates and they protected them from a few scraps. So, you could always go down that road if needed.

I ended up with coilovers and a front splitter, now I have to go down @ a 45% angle and still scrap on occasion. That reminds me, can't say enough about how strong the APR splitter is!
^WHS Those things are tough as nails!
I hit curbing on track one time and ended up replacing some of the plastic pieces behind the bumper but the ARP was just fine.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
duolab
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M

I definintely will be getting the RPI skid plates. I think my approach angle is probably as steep as a driveway can get. Not only does my house sit well above the street but the street is crowned which makes it worse. I'd love to get the actual value of the approach angle so i can compare it to my driveway. I've only seen one M coupe ever in my area so no chance of me measuring it myself. Hopefully i have a little play because coilovers with a 1 inch drop is 1st on my mod list.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #7
GriffBrew
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Perhaps backing in will help. It would depend on your street and what you mean by "crowning". There's more clearance in the back - can't reach front jack point without first raising the front on ramps, while the back has Clearance for a jack. But you'd still have the front pointing down as the back goes up.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

@duolab Do you have any pics of the driveway?
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

lol This is a funny subject for me because I had the Z4MC before I bought my house. My realtor knew one of my requirements was a smooth transition from the street to driveway. Everytime she called with a potential house I was interested in, she started of with "I think I have found the perfect house for you, the driveway is smooth...."
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #10
itdnwiwbp
Major
Rep
Drives: 330iZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Wide approaching angle helps but you will most likely to scrap! The RPI plates doing a great job protecting the Fangs on minor scraps but do be careful because they could potentially cause more damages (i.e. ripping the bumper off the fenders) if you hit a very high spot or at higher speed.
I've heard others say this but it never made much sense to me. I had skid plates before I put on my APR and they took a few pretty tough hits when I wasn't paying attention. Honestly not sure how it would rip the bumper off the fender though.
      07-16-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
Pheonix
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe 2012 e93 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW/Z4MC  [0.00]
Yeah, the Skid Plates usually do a great job protecting the Fangs! I almost rip the bumper off (one side of the fender) backing out of the driveway too fast. I guess it was due to the plastic rivets (which were also a plus otherwise i could have done some serious damage to the bumper).
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
a_riddler
Bimmer Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 Z4MC;08 MBZ E350 4Matic

The issue with the RPI skid plates is the screws used to hold the plates on. They are squared and not curved, so if they catch on something, they will easily pull on the bumper. You can swap out the screws for ones with curved heads and that should eliminate any possible issues.

Give me a ping if you pull the trigger, I have a set of skid plates in the garage.

08 Z4MC /// DKF Exhaust, Stoptech 6/4 BBK, TCK Coilovers, Strong-Strut, Apex EC-7's, APR Splitter/Wing,
AFE Intake, Underdrive pulleys, AS SSK, Jaffster, UUC Tranny Mounts, Matte Grill, RPI Scoop, CF Badges
Appreciate 0