ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
3.0Si coilover and brake overhaul

Over the weekend I had one of the guys install my brakes, control arms, front and rear Powerflex poly bushings and H&R coilovers.

Brand new ZHP control arms, front Powerflex CAB's, Stoptech rotors, ceramic pads, reman calipers, SS brake lines had been previously installed.

Car sits almost perfectly, I'm going to have it on my alignment rack this afternoon and make a few final adjustments, probably lowering the rear and additional 1/4"

Car has a VERY slight rake to the front

05-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Was there something wrong with the ball-joint? The Z4 came with "ZHP" control arms.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Was there something wrong with the ball-joint? The Z4 came with "ZHP" control arms.
31 12 6 777 851 is the left front control arm for the Z4

31 12 2 282 121 is the Performance package (ZHP) arm

AFAIK the ZHP arm is a full metal ball joint. My control arms were loose at the wheel.
      05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Must have been the ///M models only.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Must have been the ///M models only.
Yup you're right.. I looked up the OEM arm for your car and it's the 282 121.
      05-21-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Looks sweet! You did it right by changing up those other components while your mechanic was already in there to install the coilovers.

I noticed you plan on lowering the rear another 1/4". I was planning on doing the same for mine but was told that the springs will settle after a w hundred miles and not to touch anything until then. True or myth that springs will settle lower after a few hundred miles?

Are those EC-7s? I love how your tires are flush. My OEM rims will need new stud bolts and spacers to get it flushed but I'm starting to appreciate them more. It'll be tough getting new EC-7s and tires. Tough choices...
      05-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
Looks sweet! You did it right by changing up those other components while your mechanic was already in there to install the coilovers.
Thanks.. I never do anything halfway, but being the shop owner gives me certain advantages.

Quote:
I noticed you plan on lowering the rear another 1/4". I was planning on doing the same for mine but was told that the springs will settle after a w hundred miles and not to touch anything until then. True or myth that springs will settle lower after a few hundred miles?
Myth imho - I've been building and racing cars my whole life and have never experienced this. At least no settling to the point where it was noticeable. I think what people experience at times is the car itself settling after being in the air. IOW the tires have friction and when the car is initially lowered onto the floor the car will sit high until it's driven a few feet.

Besides I bought them used from a forum member so if it were true I've nothing to worry about so it's all good...

Quote:
Are those EC-7s? I love how your tires are flush. My OEM rims will need new stud bolts and spacers to get it flushed but I'm starting to appreciate them more. It'll be tough getting new EC-7s and tires. Tough choices...
Those are MIRO Type 112's 18x8.5 ft and 18x9.5 rr. I get them sponsored for my USTCC car so I slapped a set onto the Z. I've room to go to a 265/35r18 so I'm getting new tires in the rear. I'm not sure about the 235/40r18 in the front though. PM me if you're looking at a set of these.
      05-21-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal_cyclist View Post
Thanks.. I never do anything halfway, but being the shop owner gives me certain advantages.

Myth imho - I've been building and racing cars my whole life and have never experienced this. At least no settling to the point where it was noticeable. I think what people experience at times is the car itself settling after being in the air. IOW the tires have friction and when the car is initially lowered onto the floor the car will sit high until it's driven a few feet.

Besides I bought them used from a forum member so if it were true I've nothing to worry about so it's all good...

Those are MIRO Type 112's 18x8.5 ft and 18x9.5 rr. I get them sponsored for my USTCC car so I slapped a set onto the Z. I've room to go to a 265/35r18 so I'm getting new tires in the rear. I'm not sure about the 235/40r18 in the front though. PM me if you're looking at a set of these.

Awesome you've got your own shop! My brother is a mechanic so almost close. He and his buddy at work put my coilovers and exhaust on where they work. I didn't want to give him too much to do.

Why'd you change out the calipers? What's wrong with the 3.0si calipers? Why go with the ones you have instead of jumping up to a BBK? Just curious.

I won't be getting into any serious tracking with this car. Not enough time. Every time there's an event, I seem to be on the schedule to work. But I think next year I'll get the ceramic pads just to avoid dust, get the slotted rotors for looks and have the calipers powder coated red.

Keep us up to date with your mods. I'm curious as to how the 265s in the rear and 235s in the front work out.
      05-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #9
norcal_cyclist
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1999 BMW 323i  [0.00]
Quote:
Awesome you've got your own shop! My brother is a mechanic so almost close. He and his buddy at work put my coilovers and exhaust on where they work. I didn't want to give him too much to do.

Why'd you change out the calipers? What's wrong with the 3.0si calipers? Why go with the ones you have instead of jumping up to a BBK? Just curious.

I won't be getting into any serious tracking with this car. Not enough time. Every time there's an event, I seem to be on the schedule to work. But I think next year I'll get the ceramic pads just to avoid dust, get the slotted rotors for looks and have the calipers powder coated red.

Keep us up to date with your mods. I'm curious as to how the 265s in the rear and 235s in the front work out.
The calipers were replaced as a preventative maintenance measure. the car has really excellent brakes and a BBK would be overkill. Tires will probably go on in a few weeks...
      07-21-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
psha8224
Registered
Rep
Drives: 135i Cabriolet

psha8224

I'm new to ZPost and have been reading through for an hour or so. Since most suspension discussions seem to involve the M, yours caught my eye.

I'm picking up a 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si with the sport package. I'm considering an upgrade and have been doing some research. My first inclination w to go to Turner (in my area) for H&R/Bilstein combo. However, my dealer sells Dinan and has a special going on during a track event of 20% discount on the parts.

I haven't happened on any Dinan discussion..the cost comparison for the Dinan stage I is about $500 more for the Dinan...thoughts?

Thanks.

BTW this will be a daily driver with 3 or 4 autocrosses and one or two track days per year.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by psha8224 View Post
I'm new to ZPost and have been reading through for an hour or so. Since most suspension discussions seem to involve the M, yours caught my eye.

I'm picking up a 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si with the sport package. I'm considering an upgrade and have been doing some research. My first inclination w to go to Turner (in my area) for H&R/Bilstein combo. However, my dealer sells Dinan and has a special going on during a track event of 20% discount on the parts.

I haven't happened on any Dinan discussion..the cost comparison for the Dinan stage I is about $500 more for the Dinan...thoughts?

Thanks.

BTW this will be a daily driver with 3 or 4 autocrosses and one or two track days per year.
Not much talk of Dinan here. The Bilsteins and Eibachs, yes. Have a look at this thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #12
Incompatible
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 AW Z4C 3.0Si

Car looks good, there's something about a roadster with a color matched hardtop. I also like the wheels, what do they weigh if you know?