ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #1
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

KW V3 Rear Coils Rubbing

It looks like my rear KW V3 coils are rubbing themselves. I've double checked the bump/rebound settings (set them at the values recommended by KW), and as you can see my ride height is extremely conservative. This is all street driving.

I've sent these pictures to KW to see what their opinion is. My concern is that with the paint rubbing off that my coils will rust.

07-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here's what I got back from KW:

Quote:
On progressive springs it is common for coils to be touching. This is the design of the spring itself. If you wanted to correct the noise you are hearing I would suggest since the paint is starting to chip away is to either purchase some coil wrap or a rubber tubing to place over the coils.
What do you guys think?

I guess I can always do the swift linear spring conversion for the rear...
      07-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #3
dorifto88
Major
Rep
Drives: 88 Nissan Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Here's what I got back from KW:

What do you guys think?

I guess I can always do the swift linear spring conversion for the rear...
i have swifts and i love them. i have an extra set if you want them.

that aside, it is common for springs to sit on top of each other like that (progressive i mean). if i were you id just get some coil wrap like KW suggested. no harm will come of it (the spring coils sitting on each other). eventually the noise will go away as they continue to sit on each other.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #4
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

mixing and matching springs should only be attempted if you really know what you're doing, IMO. If you're going to swap to linear Swift springs in the rear, I would HIGHLY recommend you swap out the front too, especially if the fronts are progressive rates as well.

if you don't want to do that, KW's solution is 99% valid. I'd treat the exposed springs to some anti-rusting spray first though. But do keep in mind, eventually the coil wrap or the tubing is going to get worn away as well.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

They are painted to look pretty. Eventually they rub and don't look as pretty. That's how it is. The OP never said anything about noise.

I say this is normal.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sorry I should've mentioned, the original reason I wrote KW was because I was getting groaning noise from the rear. I thought it might have been the rear shock mounts, but turns out it was just the coils binding.

So I guess it's normal and I should just not worry about it. I do want to do the swift spring conversion at some point at all 4 corners like Hack suggests, but right now other mods (and unexpected expenses like kitty vet bills) are going to push it out.