ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
james33
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Lotus Evora

Warranty work denied because of painted brake calipers

My wife's 2008 M Coupe warranty was ending due to time (4 years in July of 2012). Her car had 34,570 or so miles on it. I took it in to Roadshow BMW in Cordova, TN to have a final once over to make sure nothing needed to be done before the warranty expired. This was on the 11th or 12th of July.

They looked the car over and repaired a sticky volume control button on the steering wheel and replaced the trunk latch mechanism under warranty. They also checked brakes (as is noted on the work order/receipt I got). The car got a clean bill of health and I was sent on my way. Brakes were working perfectly before taking it in – I have never had any issues mechanically with the car.

I drive the car home and when I pull into the garage the left front brake is smoking. The wheel is so hot I can’t touch it. I noticed no pulling or anything strange on the way home.
I take the car back the next morning. They look at it and call me to tell me they need to replace the caliper (and rotor, pads, etc) but can't do it under warranty because there is paint on the caliper.

Calipers were painted when we bought the car (used from a dealer in NJ). Calipers/brakes have never been off the car to my knowledge as it's never required new pads or any work.

I met with the service manager at Roadshow and he states he cannot warranty it so I call BMWNA Customer relations and they say the same thing. So I ask for her manager and get a call Monday July 16.

Elizabeth from customer care calls me back on Monday July 16 and we go around in circles yet again. She stated that it could be several days before a decision was made - something about going through several departments/channels??? I explained my side of the case, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, and that I was a loyal BMW owner with 3 cars currently.

As of this week the M coupe is no longer under warranty (it expired the 16th or so). I'm now waiting to see what happens - the car is still at Roadshow BMW. This is absolute absurdity - paint on a caliper would no more cause it to fail than a coating of dirt or a sticker.

Any advice, people to contact, letters to write, etc. would be most appreciated!
Thanks
James
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
This is absolute absurdity - paint on a caliper would no more cause it to fail than a coating of dirt or a sticker.

I'm with BMW on this one. There's no telling why the calipers are stuck, and an improperly painted caliper may have some of that paint get into the guide pins and EVENTUALLY causing the sliding mechanism to bind, thus resulting in a sticking caliper that ended up ruining the system. I can totally see it.

The ONLY issue I have with BMW, is that it probably should have been "good-willed" to keep a loyal customer happy. But it's their discretion. Just because I would do it doesn't mean it's good business sense, if it were up to me I'd good-will just about every single warranty repair claim under the sun that may not necessarily qualify for good-will.

Personally? You're up sh*t creek without a paddle. Get a remanufactured caliper, or upgrade to something fancy. Take it to an independent mechanic and fork out the ~$500 or so.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
james33
Private First Class
Rep

Then you are correct - Just got a call from BMW NA and they will not cover the part because it was modified. End of story, do not pass go, do not get your car repaired under warranty. Because paint caused the caliper to lock up.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by james33 View Post
Then you are correct.
Always glad to help set someone on the right course.

Look, I'm not even saying that the paint IS the cause. But it could be. The "could" part of the equation is more than enough for the dealership and BMW NA to deny the warranty claim. The Magnusson-Moss act has nothing to do with this, just so you know. Had you replaced the caliper with an aftermarket brake system, and the transmission were to fail? You have more than enough to stand on re: claim. But you modified the actual part that failed. Whether or not it actually is the cause, is immaterial.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
james33
Private First Class
Rep

I contacted BMW NA, BMW CCA Ombudsman, and tried to negotiate anything with Roadshow. Batting zero. So I ordered parts from Rocky Mountain Euro and BAV Auto and wil be doing brakes next weekend.

I've done them on all of my cars but not the M Coupe. Any one have any "watch out for" or "be careful" tips?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
The HACK
Rep

There are two set-screws on the rotors, if you're replacing rotors too. Otherwise, if you've done them on BMWs in the past, they're identical.

I would take the rotors to see if they're still true, if not, you might be able to re-use them. Pads, obviously replace. Check the calipers and see if a rebuilt may suffice (i.e. just the rubber boot melted).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

Might have to replace the brake pad on the other side to match the wear, but theyre sold in pairs anyway
      07-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #8
james33
Private First Class
Rep

Yep - I bought a rebuilt caliper. Replacing the rotor on the left and pads on both sides, unless the right wear is insignificant. Car has never been tracked and has hardly any miles on it. Also bought the set screws.

Thanks all. I plan on taking photos of the caliper to see WTF is up. I don't think they even took it off. I'll post when done. Parts should be in by Wedneday or Thursday and I'll work on it next weekend.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #9
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Interested in seeing the pictures. I'm with hack on this one where if it was my business I'd good will it, because even tough it *could* be the paint and are therefore not obligated to cover it, doesn't mean it was. Then again I've seen such horrifically done mods, and having seen so few caliper failures on here I wouldn't put money either way.

If you are able take lots of pictures. A DIY on how to replace pads and calipers would be great for the forums
      07-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #10
The HACK
Rep

Documenting it also will help if you EVER decide to bring it to BMW's attention. I.E. try to get your labor and parts cost covered if you really want to pursuit the Magnusson-Moss Act (when I say it doesn't apply...It does. Just not in a way you think).
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

In one of the British mags, a buyer's guide on Z4Ms mentioned being aware of the brake calipers seizing, making me wonder if it's more of an issue overseas or we're under-reporting when it happens here.

For the record, BMW replaced the front brakes on my M Coupe last year under warranty. I noticed the car pulling a bit when braking and took it in, where I was told the problem was my aftermarket wheels (OEM CSLs, but whatever). I swapped the originals back on and after my next run down an interstate saw the same symptoms as the OP - the rotor was glowing hot, bit of smoke and strong smell of burnt pad on the driver's side. I drove it straight to BMW so they could see it first-hand. If they could have blamed my aero kit sideskirts I'm sure they would have, but they fixed them under warranty.

I suspect the issue is the scarcity of Z4Ms - dealers see so few that there's no established pattern of problems. At least 2 minutes of each trip is me expaining what a Z4 M Coupe is and I've actually had to show the porter a picture of my car for them to bring it around when finished.
Appreciate 0