ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Suspension and Braking Chat
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-28-2012, 11:09 PM   #23
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Quote:
Is the rear camber adjustable without aftermarket parts?
Yes. Most of us with aftermarket parts do not have anything that aids in more camber, other than lowering the car via coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #24
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

^WHS

If, for some reason, you need more adjustment there's this option. But it's a PITA to install.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
^WHS

If, for some reason, you need more adjustment there's this option. But it's a PITA to install.
Yes it is. You have to drop the entire differential mounting subframe to get the old bolts out and new bolts in for the arm.

I though long and hard on this, for me this would be (relatively) easy for me to do but then decided I don't need more camber than I have now.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:02 PM   #26
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92M3Pilot View Post
Mine need to be done too, once I finished adjusting the new coil height. Is the rear camber adjustable without aftermarket parts? I'm hoping maxing out rear camber to (-1.8) can clear my rubbers, it is rubbing slightly on high speed bumps.
Any good alignment shop in Philly/jersey?
Me personally, if you're at the ride height you like and don't plan on changing, I'd do a corner balance first - with you IN the car. Then get the alignment done. 1.8 in the rears should not be a prob. I have 2.1 and I'm using the stock camber arms.

Matt from CamberToe now works at AutoCouture so I'd check them out. If not them, Mike from Northeast Motorsports runs good shop. Both are located in Bergen.

Another one to add is Mr. M Car - they're supposedly one of the best.

http://www.nemotorsportsllc.com/
http://www.autocouturemotoring.com/
http://www.mrmcar.com/index.html
      06-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #27
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Mine need to be done too, once I finished adjusting the new coil height. Is the rear camber adjustable without aftermarket parts? I'm hoping maxing out rear camber to (-1.8) can clear my rubbers, it is rubbing slightly on high speed bumps.
Any good alignment shop in Philly/jersey?
Bimmerworks.com in West Chester, PA just performed an alignment for me yesterday on my OE suspension for street/autocross. I don't have the spec sheet at the moment but I do remember we arrived at -1.4 camber at all 4 corners after removing the front pins (max front camber). My autocross class allows for camber adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:54 PM   #28
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Hey guys,

I came to the decision that I'm not going to get camber plates. It's not worth the money for the minimal gains (not to mention a bump in SCCA Class).
Quote:
I ordered Turner's kit earlier today w/some researching.

What's the specs in your rear? I was planning on going around -2 to -2.5 with zero toe up front. How many washers did you need to use to get -2.5?
I may be wrong, but I am fairly certain adding the washers has bumped you out of SCCA Solo stock class.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #29
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kklin View Post
I may be wrong, but I am fairly certain adding the washers has bumped you out of SCCA Solo stock class.
There are "camber adjustment bolts" per the repair manual for our cars.

However, I talked to my local group and explained them what was going on, and they said it's perfectly fine to still allow me in AS. I don't think I'll ever go to National Events, so no need to follow that strict.

They realize I'm trying to save my tires, and they are fine with it. Afterall, I'm running a street tire in a R-Comp class, the PAX does kill me a bit.

As of now with the season, here is where I sit for PAX class average over my 3 events running at my area: 21/102

My RAW times are faster than that, but because of my PAX it bumps me back a bit.

Like I said, they are fine with the mod and that's all that really matters now.

Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #30
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There are "camber adjustment bolts" per the repair manual for our cars.

However, I talked to my local group and explained them what was going on, and they said it's perfectly fine to still allow me in AS. I don't think I'll ever go to National Events, so no need to follow that strict.

They realize I'm trying to save my tires, and they are fine with it. Afterall, I'm running a street tire in a R-Comp class, the PAX does kill me a bit.

As of now with the season, here is where I sit for PAX class average over my 3 events running at my area: 21/102

My RAW times are faster than that, but because of my PAX it bumps me back a bit.

Like I said, they are fine with the mod and that's all that really matters now.

Okey doke - no problem with me. As long as your competitors are local and don't mind.

BTW, if you get wider rubber up front (I realize you are stuck with OE-sized wheels), a lot of the understeer will be cut out. My driving focuses much more on the rear of the car now.

After breaking a rear wheel and damaging its 265 Star Spec, I just went to 275 on the rear and alignment at -1.4 on all 4 corners yesterday. Unfortunately my next event won't be for a while so I won't have any meaningful impressions until then.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #31
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Okey doke - no problem with me. As long as your competitors are local and don't mind.

BTW, if you get wider rubber up front (I realize you are stuck with OE-sized wheels), a lot of the understeer will be cut out. My driving focuses much more on the rear of the car now.

After breaking a rear wheel and damaging its 265 Star Spec, I just went to 275 on the rear and alignment at -1.4 on all 4 corners yesterday. Unfortunately my next event won't be for a while so I won't have any meaningful impressions until then.
How can you fit 275 in the rear?

I run my 265 RS3s in the rear, I had to add 5mm spacers. I was rubbing on the inner fender wall.

My 235 RS3s in the front barely have enough clearance as well, I'm going to run 5mm spacers up there as well after the new alignment.

The front bar certainly helped reduce understeer. Hopefully the alignment throws most of it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #32
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How can you fit 275 in the rear?

I run my 265 RS3s in the rear, I had to add 5mm spacers. I was rubbing on the inner fender wall.

My 235 RS3s in the front barely have enough clearance as well, I'm going to run 5mm spacers up there as well after the new alignment.

The front bar certainly helped reduce understeer. Hopefully the alignment throws most of it out.
Per my BSP thread that you've contributed to (thanks), I had been running 265 Star Specs on all 4 corners (Apex ARC-8 wheels with 5mm front spacers, no rear spacers), with slight rear liner rub which I ignored.

Figured what the heck and got the 275s for the rear adding 5mm spacers. I knew the incremental math theoretically works but the actual fitment seems to work too. I don't remember the offsets on the OE wheels.

According to specs at TireRack, my section width went from 10.7" to 11.0". The comparable R-S3 size has similar specs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+R-S3

If you're with the group that autocrosses at Dayton, OH, I've autocrossed the family A6 2.7T while visiting in-laws. They were a good relaxed bunch.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #33
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Per my BSP thread that you've contributed to (thanks), I had been running 265 Star Specs on all 4 corners (Apex ARC-8 wheels with 5mm front spacers, no rear spacers), with slight rear liner rub which I ignored.

Figured what the heck and got the 275s for the rear adding 5mm spacers. I knew the incremental math theoretically works but the actual fitment seems to work too. I don't remember the offsets on the OE wheels.

According to specs at TireRack, my section width went from 10.7" to 11.0". The comparable R-S3 size has similar specs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....t+Z1+Star+Spec

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Ventus+R-S3

If you're with the group that autocrosses at Dayton, OH, I've autocrossed the family A6 2.7T while visiting in-laws. They were a good relaxed bunch.
Whoops, kinda forgot you had a thread

I'm up in Cleveland now with NORA. I make my way down to Columbus with OVR SCCA here and there (will be there next weekend for their big auto-x weekend)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #34
E92M3Pilot
E86MPilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Me personally, if you're at the ride height you like and don't plan on changing, I'd do a corner balance first - with you IN the car. Then get the alignment done. 1.8 in the rears should not be a prob. I have 2.1 and I'm using the stock camber arms.

Matt from CamberToe now works at AutoCouture so I'd check them out. If not them, Mike from Northeast Motorsports runs good shop. Both are located in Bergen.

Another one to add is Mr. M Car - they're supposedly one of the best.

http://www.nemotorsportsllc.com/
http://www.autocouturemotoring.com/
http://www.mrmcar.com/index.html
I totally agree, and corner balance has been always in my mind, but the cost are quit hefty. $500-700 from what I remember, but not sure is will it make a big difference. For now, I probably hold off the alignment until I found to right height, then corner balance, and alignment last. Luckily this became my weekend car after moved into the city. The down side is, it's irritating when I don't get to ride it.

Thanks for all the shops recommendation. Hopefully I can get enough negative cambers on stock arms. -2.1 front and -1.8 rear.
      07-01-2012, 08:41 AM   #35
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
I totally agree, and corner balance has been always in my mind, but the cost are quit hefty. $500-700 from what I remember, but not sure is will it make a big difference. For now, I probably hold off the alignment until I found to right height, then corner balance, and alignment last. Luckily this became my weekend car after moved into the city. The down side is, it's irritating when I don't get to ride it.

Thanks for all the shops recommendation. Hopefully I can get enough negative cambers on stock arms. -2.1 front and -1.8 rear.
2 of the 3 places I listed have quoted me $450 for both balance and alignment...
      07-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #36
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep

Bumping this up...again.

Does anyone have the repair manual and can look up camber correction for me and see if they spec new camber bolts with washers? If so, can you screen shot and post it up. I'd like to have documentation of it.

I have the camber correction pages from removing the pin, just can't find the other information
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #37
kklin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Bumping this up...again.

Does anyone have the repair manual and can look up camber correction for me and see if they spec new camber bolts with washers? If so, can you screen shot and post it up. I'd like to have documentation of it.

I have the camber correction pages from removing the pin, just can't find the other information
Again, I am pretty sure these shims put your car out of SCCA Solo Stock class. AFAIK such parts are not offered by the factory for our car and there are no inclusion rules for stock. They are a definite performance advantage.