ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #1
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Z4MC VLN GTR project

Almost completed the project, just waiting to get the ABS talking to the Motec, and it's off to the track next spring! I'll get some more photos out when I get chance, as they are all over the place!
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
Steeler2427.50
Finnegan701.00
ZeD4Mr500.50
Mirko182.00
eggman51198.50
wdb4716.50
longress104.50
      11-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #2
Mirko
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, E90 328i, E84 X1

more pics!!
08 M Coupe • Ceramic Black Fabspeed Headers • MCS 1WNR • Poly FCAB • Stoptech BBK • Vibra-Tech • Epic Tune • Apex EC7 • RPI Scoop • Eventuri • Stromung • Rogue X Pipe • Varis Diffuser • CF E92 GTS Wing • CF Roof
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Whoa! Sweet!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
more pics!!
Agree 100% lol
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 04:57 AM   #5
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

hi Skiddy,

looks great mate. panels match nicely. care to show what you did to the rear arches in regards to metal work and liners, and if you made any changes to the diff hanger/rear suspension setup.

Cheers, look forwards to hearing about your setup.

Id also love to know how you made the weels sit flush.
      11-23-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the interest, I know a few of you are building modified cars, hence my post, hopefully it might be of help.
It is a long story, this project has taken over 6 years, even longer since the original conception! I will try and update the events on here when I get chance.
I had a Z4MC GT4 race car prior to this one, which was great BTW, but having seen the Red Bull Z4 MC GTR win at Silverstone Britcar 24Hours, previously, I really wanted one, it looked soooooo good! I considered modifying my GT4 car to GTR/VLN spec, BUT, this involved major modification, so I thought it best to sell the GT4 car as that was quite rare in its own right, and try to acquire a VLN/GTR. I narrowly missed buying a race car in Germany, so I entered negotiation with BMW Motorsport to purchase the unused partially built up shell, that I had heard about and was in their storage facility in Munich. This was not straightforward, so in the meantime, I bought a road going white Z4MC, to possibly modify as a fall back, incase I didn't make the purchase. Yes I was going to cut up a road car and convert it into a dedicated track car, it would be major mods ahead, I did the homework, and yes it was daunting! I can do it, just hard work, not the easiest route. Fortunately, I managed to purchase the shell from BMW Motorsport, who have already done all the mods on the shell, saving me a lot of time, and the mods are really quite extensive. This is where the fun starts.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Awesome. Looking forward to your build chronicle. Get busy writing and posting pictures!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

A few photos, sorry if they are a bit large, can a moderator help reduce the size?
I can't find a photo, just at the moment of the rear inner arch metalwork, to show the modifications, but there is the front one. I will take some more photos when I get chance, as I know some of you are keen to get on with alterations.
Cheers.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Mirko182.00
Vanne1620.50
MOEDARE140.00
      11-25-2019, 03:56 PM   #9
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Impressive fab work.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 05:20 PM   #10
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

See if this works for better sizing - test

'
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mirko182.00
Vanne1620.50
      11-25-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2skiddy View Post
A few photos, sorry if they are a bit large, can a moderator help reduce the size?
I can't find a photo, just at the moment of the rear inner arch metalwork, to show the modifications, but there is the front one. I will take some more photos when I get chance, as I know some of you are keen to get on with alterations.
Cheers.
FTFY

Nice work by the way.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Mirko182.00
Vanne1620.50
      11-26-2019, 02:20 AM   #12
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

I must add, the shell came all painted and panelled up on the trolley dolly from Munich, credit for that goes to BMW Motorsport and their suppliers, but also Schnitzer, that painted and assembled it. You could at the time, buy a shell with absolutely nothing on it, and I mean nothing, not even paint! There were a couple available, one was offered to me from possibly a Petronas contact, but was very expensive and I would have to start from scratch. That shell has subsequently been sold and painted grey, and is/was in the UK. I am sure the owner will be in contact on here soon? All the carbon panels were available from BMW at the time, these are not Flossman BTW, but another manufacturer, who will NOT deal with you directly!!! Many panels are still on stock, and yes they are expensive, but they do fit. The panels that are not in stock, can still be made after a long wait. My diffuser was the last one they had, when I ordered the shell.

My shell had been in the storage facility for a few years, it was envisaged that it would be needed as a replacement for a heavily damaged car, but it never happened. Time moves on and the newer E89 beast took over, making the E86 a bit obsolete. This was good news, as Motorsport eventually let me have the shell after lengthy negotiation, realising I was not treading on any race team toes!

Taking delivery was over 6 years ago, so please bear with me when I try and recall everything, roughly in chronological order.
It was exciting getting the shell, I will always remember that! The project had just begun.
Mr Wolfgang Broesel, at BMW Motorsport, was extremely helpful in sorting out all the parts that I subsequently needed, which was a challenge, as the catalogue is not the best, with some errors and many omissions. I had to rely heavily on photos to support identification.
FWIW there are only around 11 or 12 E86 VLN cars, each one is a little bit different, and I wanted mine to be a bit more different.
Appreciate 2
Vanne1620.50
      11-26-2019, 06:07 AM   #13
Michael9218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Cool story makes this an even better build!
I love the fabrication work they did on the chassis. Talk about custom!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

THiS.IS.INCREDIBLE.

Last edited by racerbruce; 11-26-2019 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 03:55 AM   #15
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

I found a few photos of the shell I was offered back in 2011, shows some of the complexity of the mods. This is NOT my shell, but it is the sister shell, and mine would have been the same initially. IIRC this one is chassis 15 or 16, mine is number 14. There were more chassis than cars, due to the rate of attrition in racing!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
wdb4716.50
Vanne1620.50
      11-27-2019, 06:40 AM   #16
2skiddy
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Salty Dog, much better, I'm not too good at that sort of thing!
Appreciate 2
Vanne1620.50
Salty Dog3572.50
      11-27-2019, 08:18 PM   #17
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Holy moly. Where does the driver sit?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 10:01 PM   #18
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Thanks for the pics Skiddy, I really appreciate it mate. It does show some good views of the front and the last few pics do show a little of the fab required for the rear arches... Hopefully get a few more pics of that area in the next 2 weeks as my car is then heading for the shop (and no doubt a big cutter somewhere along the line) Going to suck a little as ill need to remove the fuel tank prior to that as it will need cutting andf grinding/welding in that rear quater area. Will see how time goes as ill need to install the front nose still, and it will have to have a system for quick disconnect (the front nose that is) I havent figured out how to do/make that yet, but ill brainstorm that over the next week or so.

I really do appreciate the pics mate, its always much easier to have someting to go upon, rather than having to do everything trail and error.

hanging on for more of your story about how you managed to aquire this shell man, and also looking forwards to hearing about what parts your running. Funny you mentioned the Petrona's car, (which is still for sale atm) , ive seen it running in real and it does sound the goods, and being for sale atm for 60k euro cash isnt too bad either.. Though has lots of parts removed from when it was running in the series on the track. Sequential is still in place and would make a nice turn-key track car, even as it sits now. and would probably have been cheaper in the long run than modding your own like i am doing.

I get to the UK everynow and then Skiddy, and would love to see your beast sometime, if thats not being to forward? pref when its not pissing down rain.
at any rate, going to love hearing and seeing more about this particular car mate, awesome that you managed to secure a true ledgend of a car.

Does Snoopy happy dance