ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

10-11-2020, 01:29 AM   #1
qxzj
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4

Convertible top motor stopped working after being garaged

I had my 2005 Z4 3.0 garaged for a few months during the pandemic. The top worked pre-pandemic and the car literally had not been taken out of the garage and sat there for at least three months (so it couldn't be the typical rain issue). (In the interim the battery lost charge and I had to use trickle charger to top it up.) So when I went to put the top down, the top's motor doesn't make any noise at all. The hooks unlatch from the top, but it simply doesn't retract. In the past (I've owned in 7 years) after a few weeks/months of not putting the top down, it would delay 5-7 seconds after I pushed the button and would sound just a bit as if it were struggling but would put down the top without a problem. So I'm surprised that it's not working now and I have no idea why. The pull cord in the trunk seems to be in the right place, so it shouldn't be that. Though when I pull it and try to lower the top manually, the top won't retract much at all. It simply feels stuck. Any ideas what's going on here? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

I'm not 100% sure if the cord is pull.. either you do have some damage where the bowden cord isnt hitting the pressure release button (rusted out). That the only thing I can think off. To get that button fix, you do need to take the motor out. I dont know if its related to the hinge.

Anyone have any tips ?
      10-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #3
qxzj
Rep

Thanks, Roranji.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #4
qxzj
Rep

Does anyone else have other ideas of what's going on? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 02:08 AM   #5
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '18 540i, '06 Z4si, '07 Z4MC

i've got something similar going on with mine. keep your trickle charger connected and press the top down button and hold it for a long time. until you hear the hydraulic fluid rushing through the system and doing something. do it a few times if necessary. eventually it will restore its normal operation. at least that's how it worked with mine. previous owner changed the motor so in my case I also knew it was not a failed motor and exact same symptoms as yours. the hydraulic system is self bleeding and I suppose needs some persistence.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 11:44 PM   #6
qxzj
Rep

Belcom, thank you very much!

I suspected it might be something like that, given my prior experience of it being sluggish after not being used for a few weeks. I will give it a try! I have no reason to believe it's a functional problem with the top motor, given that it was garaged (and has been replaced once before by me).
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:04 AM   #7
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qxzj View Post
Belcom, thank you very much!

I suspected it might be something like that, given my prior experience of it being sluggish after not being used for a few weeks. I will give it a try! I have no reason to believe it's a functional problem with the top motor, given that it was garaged (and has been replaced once before by me).
Hey, actually please take my previous advice with a "grain of salt". I was just taking my car out yesterday and same thing happened again and it was not working after storage. I have not touched it all winter because I had my hardtop on it. So yesterday I did the same thing trying to "revive" it and I think I over did it. Damn smoke came out of the compartment when I held it for way too long

Even though the previous owner had replaced the motor I think he may have done something wrong when putting it back together or did not add enough hydraulic fluid back into the system. Not really sure. Now I have to deal with a burnt motor I think. Good thing I have a hardtop though So at the moment I don't care if the roof is working or not

Basically, you can still try it but definitely be careful and do not over do it. If after 3-5 attempts you don't hear any hydraulic sounds coming from the system, stop and let it cool down for some time. Then try again later. I think I just over worked and overheated the motor. Live and learn I guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 10:06 AM   #8
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Wow, did he relocate it to the trunk or left it in the original spot.
      04-01-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
belcom
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
Wow, did he relocate it to the trunk or left it in the original spot.
he left it where it was originally. but looks like I will be doing the relocation procedure soon enough
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2021, 11:44 PM   #10
qxzj
Rep

Oof, thanks for the heads-up on that. So there's a way to top off the fluid in the motor?

I'll have a go at this tomorrow with the appropriate precautions.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0