ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-29-2022, 10:24 PM   #1
2one3E90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i and Bmw 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2004 BMW Z4   [9.67]
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
e85 Water noise went operating top

It rained in socal for two days. I park my z4 outside and when i went to put the top down there was water noise. The top hasnt worked in a while so i put it down manually. I use the button to operate the top so it can unlatch and the pump makes water noise. Is this a concern?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 10:33 PM   #2
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Have a look at this post : https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021381

The top latch motor is electric driven opposed to the lowering mechanical from hydraulic motor. There shouldn’t be water near the latch motor, pop open the access hatch for the latch motor to check on it but shouldn’t be a way for water to get there.

The soft top left hand drain runs right by the lowering motor if you search for soft top motor dying on these you’ll find plenty of results. Once water clogs it at the very least starts things corroding. The link above I’ve done and back blow the drains periodically to keep them clog free. Of your car sits outside rain water is the death of your motor.

Edit: to add if your hydraulic lines/fittings break/corrode or leak it will leak from this drain as well putting hydraulic fluid right in front of your rear wheels.

Last edited by Piper1; 12-29-2022 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 10:52 PM   #3
2one3E90
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i and Bmw 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2004 BMW Z4   [9.67]
2006 BMW 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
Have a look at this post : https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1021381

The top latch motor is electric driven opposed to the lowering mechanical from hydraulic motor. There shouldn’t be water near the latch motor, pop open the access hatch for the latch motor to check on it but shouldn’t be a way for water to get there.

The soft top left hand drain runs right by the lowering motor if you search for soft top motor dying on these you’ll find plenty of results. Once water clogs it at the very least starts things corroding. The link above I’ve done and back blow the drains periodically to keep them clog free. Of your car sits outside rain water is the death of your motor.

Edit: to add if your hydraulic lines/fittings break/corrode or leak it will leak from this drain as well putting hydraulic fluid right in front of your rear wheels.
Thanks. Ill try and park it where it wont get wet but I wonder if it will damage anything else? I already accepted that the motor is dead and I just manually open and close the top. I just want to know if it will damage anytning else besides the top motor.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2022, 11:21 PM   #4
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2one3E90 View Post
Thanks. Ill try and park it where it wont get wet but I wonder if it will damage anything else? I already accepted that the motor is dead and I just manually open and close the top. I just want to know if it will damage anytning else besides the top motor.
If the water is at the drains and it’s clogged eventually water will end up in the trunk/battery so on. Clear the drains even if you don’t go about it the way from the thread I posted earlier.

The hose I used on the bottom side is braided so it won’t kink up for water flow it’s zip tied to the lower bars so the drains will pour the water off set so not right in line with the tires. When I back blow them out with an air gun from the compressor just have to plug the air gun up and blast them clean. Total takes about half hour to set the hoses up and less than a minute to blow the drains clear with about $2 worth of hose from Home Depot. It’s prolly the cheapest least time consuming and most important maintenance mod you’ll ever do to this car.

Last edited by Piper1; 12-29-2022 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 2