ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-13-2022, 11:43 PM   #1
M8Bimmer
Not a good Canadian sheep!
Rep
Drives: BMW M8 Competition

Driving freedom and pleasures are going bye bye.

Don't ever move to canada if you enjoy owning a car.
You might as well take your mommy on the track with you.
Driving freedoms in canada are so under attack it barley worth owning a car in some places. My stinkin city is actively encouraging folks to not drive. Buy a bike they say. Fuck them. When are they gonna make these cyclist get insurance? Why do i have to provide them with my insurance because they have none at all. They wanna use the road...pay the fuck up then!
Anyways...what rights and driving pleasures are being taken from all you guys in terms of driving enjoyment and freedom?
Up here in canada it's a matter of time before they drive you in terms of the self driving car. These jerks can't wait til we all don't have the ability to actually drive the car.
Appreciate 6
      06-14-2022, 12:13 AM   #2
M8Bimmer
Rep

Oh ya in case you think I'm exaggerating. The limit in my city on residential streets is now 18mph. And that's not in the school zones either.
The mennonites in the buggies are faster....lol
We have a ton of them in our area. There's nothing like trying to negotiate large skiddish farm animals pulling a huge black box in traffic. The horses really like heavy traffic confusion too. Add in the big trucks and it's like a circus everyday.
Seriously we have accidents weekly if not daily because of these 1800's holdouts.
VERY VERY serious accidents too. Lots of mennonite kids killed. They drive these kids sized buggies with ponies pulling them. OMG it's quite show here. Jeeeez!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 05:55 AM   #3
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Speed cameras - everywhere! It started a few years ago as a pilot program. The cameras were posted within X distance of schools, normally on the blocks where the schools were located. They were in operation only on days schools were in session and from the hours of 6am-10pm. Then they changed it to M-F regardless of whether schools were open. And again they changed the distance to a radius. Cameras popped up everywhere. When we were in lockdown, and everyone was home except essential workers, the city went crazy putting more cameras up everywhere and at the same time they reduced the speed limits.

They now approved the cameras 24/7. It drives me batshit crazy. I am so happy my car alerts me when approaching a speed camera. Don't get me wrong, I don't speed like crazy on the city streets but WTF?!?! Streets that were previously 40 mph are now 25 mph. The cameras are a cash cow for the city.

Rant over.
Vivek.1363.50
      06-14-2022, 06:31 AM   #4
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Quote:
Originally Posted by M8Bimmer View Post
Oh ya in case you think I'm exaggerating. The limit in my city on residential streets is now 18mph. And that's not in the school zones either.
Are you in Waterloo region too? Or did they lower the limits to 30km/h in other cities too?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

They reduced the residential limits to 40 km/hr in Calgary this year. It's just manageable but I don't think I could handle the drop to 30 km/hr as I would have to use cruise control to ensure that I didn't exceed the limit by more than 10 km/hr. I look forward to future statistics that prove how much fewer collisions and pedestrian injuries/deaths. I feel they aren't going to get the reductions they think they will as it's inattentive drivers that cause accidents and when you lower the speeds it becomes easier for them to fiddle with their phones or become more distracted.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2022, 08:21 AM   #6
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
Are you in Waterloo region too? Or did they lower the limits to 30km/h in other cities too?
This was specifically the City of Waterloo. Apparently a few counsellors didn't agree. But of course "save the children" won the day.
I ask anybody to actually just drive 18 mile per hour and see how fucking stupid that is. I mean why drive cars at all. I understand school zones and such. Of course we go slow. But my take is that these fucking endless do gooders want the whole city turned into a walking park. City street as well.
In some spots locally they have carved up the road so badly that nobody goes to these areas anymore. We once had 2 prosperous downtowns here as we are a twin city. Not anymore. They took out lanes and increased the sidewalk sizes. Took aways parking lots. All to the point where car drivers said "fuck that" see ya later. I'll frequent and go elsewhere for what I need or want. These downtowns are now wastelands of failing businesses. Endless restaurants with nobody eating in them. Because there is nowhere to park.
Kitchener has these cute commercials showing how you can walk the downtown to all these businesses. like a fun day out type thing. Ya right. They ruined once vibrant and successful downtown areas. And they wonder why. Seriously they do. Theya re so fucking stupid they don't understand . People want to use their cars !!!!!
When I was a kid these downtowns were busy. But like many towns they dried up. A lot of it due to too much development and ruling out of traffic. This is why the malls are busy....duh!
Our downtowns were all 4 lanes roads. Now they are 2 lane with no parking.
I wouldn't open a business in these areas if it was free.
Take away cars you take away business.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
Vivek.1363.50
      06-14-2022, 08:35 AM   #7
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

Yeah I'm nearby in Breslau. Uptown Waterloo isn't bad for finding parking, but downtown Kitchener is a joke now for parking/driving and hitting a restaurant.

With the 30km/h limit, I guess I'll be driving in 1st gear.
Appreciate 1
M8Bimmer1246.50
      06-14-2022, 08:40 AM   #8
Moopai
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M850GC Tanzanite Blue Metallic

Unfortunately Canadians in general don't know how to drive and most of them have a sh*ty driving attitude. No common sense at all. You've got those who are doing 100 clicks in a 40 km/h zone or the best ones that drive 70km/h on the highway in the left lane and don't want you to pass them and when you do they start to speed up and then eventually start road rage...

The other day I was on my way to Niagara on the Lake, the speed limit on the highway has been increased to a 110 km/h. This A-hole is doing about 80 or maybe less in the left lane. I flash the high beam for him to move into the middle lane and O'boy, if this A-hole had a gun he would've probably shot me. When I merged into the middle lane to pass him, he's giving me the finger and swearing etc and all of sudden he speeds up and tries to block me from merging into the left lane. Eventually I put him and his piece of sh*t Mustang in his place and passed him.

I drove in many places during my travels, US, Europe and other and have seen interesting drivers but there is no one like the Canadian driver, they have no clue what driving is all about... In every country the left lane is a passing lane not for you and I to do 70 or 80 clicks...

Quote:
We have a ton of them in our area. There's nothing like trying to negotiate large skiddish farm animals pulling a huge black box in traffic. The horses really like heavy traffic confusion too. Add in the big trucks and it's like a circus everyday.
Seriously we have accidents weekly if not daily because of these 1800's holdouts.
VERY VERY serious accidents too. Lots of mennonite kids killed. They drive these kids sized buggies with ponies pulling them. OMG it's quite show here. Jeeeez!

Last edited by Moopai; 06-14-2022 at 09:24 AM..
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
Vivek.1363.50
      06-14-2022, 09:05 AM   #9
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I haven't noticed any differences where I am. You do sound like you're going to have a heart attack though!
chris7197273.00
Accentu8701.00
      06-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #10
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

At least Kitchener is holding out at 40kph for side streets and school zones at 30... don't know why Waterloo has to be different all the time.

I actually don't mind the 40 in residential zones personally because it only slows me down for ~1 min a day. The 30 area is just painful though, especially when school isn't even in session or off season. The real problem is no one will be around to enforce the limits.

I wonder if they will start ticketing bicycles too since they'll be speeding?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 10:24 AM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I feel your guys pain. They lowered the limits on all city streets in my area to 25 mph. 20 mph in a school zone. Feels like you are crawling in an M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:18 AM   #12
Kowalski2011
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 135i-11E93-M3-01 Z3-91 M5

Garage List
1991 BMW M5  [9.38]
2011 BMW 135i  [7.00]
2001 BMW Z3 3.0i  [8.50]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean, have had many seriously injured in our ER over the years. The other day I was exploring some new found backroads with the M3 when I noticed horseshit all over the road - I immediately returned to my neck of the woods before I came across one of those slow-ass buggies.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:33 AM   #13
Piper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E85

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I feel your guys pain. They lowered the limits on all city streets in my area to 25 mph. 20 mph in a school zone. Feels like you are crawling in an M car.
There’s too many kids in our area hit and killed at school cross walks. Too many people passing stopped school buses at bus stops. We’ve almost been hit by suvs not paying attention in the kids drop off lane at our kids school walking him to the door. People not paying attention to anything but themselves which hurts it for those of us that do. I can feel your pain when you/your car wants to go fast but don’t kill my kid by your impatience. I never saw the need to drive fast in a residential area. If you don’t have kids or never have taken a kid to school. Sit in the parking lot during school zone hours and just watch what goes on. You don’t realize the importance until you have kids.
Appreciate 5
540iSUP703.00
RM72870.00
      06-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #14
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

Quote:
This was specifically the City of Waterloo. Apparently a few counsellors didn't agree. But of course "save the children" won the day.
I ask anybody to actually just drive 18 mile per hour and see how fucking stupid that is. I mean why drive cars at all. I understand school zones and such. Of course we go slow. But my take is that these fucking endless do gooders want the whole city turned into a walking park. City street as well.
In some spots locally they have carved up the road so badly that nobody goes to these areas anymore. We once had 2 prosperous downtowns here as we are a twin city. Not anymore. They took out lanes and increased the sidewalk sizes. Took aways parking lots. All to the point where car drivers said "fuck that" see ya later. I'll frequent and go elsewhere for what I need or want. These downtowns are now wastelands of failing businesses. Endless restaurants with nobody eating in them. Because there is nowhere to park.
Kitchener has these cute commercials showing how you can walk the downtown to all these businesses. like a fun day out type thing. Ya right. They ruined once vibrant and successful downtown areas. And they wonder why. Seriously they do. Theya re so fucking stupid they don't understand . People want to use their cars !!!!!
When I was a kid these downtowns were busy. But like many towns they dried up. A lot of it due to too much development and ruling out of traffic. This is why the malls are busy....duh!
Our downtowns were all 4 lanes roads. Now they are 2 lane with no parking.
I wouldn't open a business in these areas if it was free.
Take away cars you take away business.
I knew exactly of where you speak after the first sentence in OP. Ludicrous traffic controls. Don't get me started on that facking LRT.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #15
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Don't ever move to canada if you enjoy owning a car.
You might as well take your mommy on the track with you.
Driving freedoms in canada are so under attack it barley worth owning a car in some places. My stinkin city is actively encouraging folks to not drive. Buy a bike they say. Fuck them. When are they gonna make these cyclist get insurance? Why do i have to provide them with my insurance because they have none at all. They wanna use the road...pay the fuck up then!
Anyways...what rights and driving pleasures are being taken from all you guys in terms of driving enjoyment and freedom?
Up here in canada it's a matter of time before they drive you in terms of the self driving car. These jerks can't wait til we all don't have the ability to actually drive the car.
Tell us how you really feel.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #16
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper1 View Post
There’s too many kids in our area hit and killed at school cross walks. Too many people passing stopped school buses at bus stops. We’ve almost been hit by suvs not paying attention in the kids drop off lane at our kids school walking him to the door. People not paying attention to anything but themselves which hurts it for those of us that do. I can feel your pain when you/your car wants to go fast but don’t kill my kid by your impatience. I never saw the need to drive fast in a residential area. If you don’t have kids or never have taken a kid to school. Sit in the parking lot during school zone hours and just watch what goes on. You don’t realize the importance until you have kids.
Not talking about school zones safety. I don’t speed myself and I have never passed a school bus with there stop sign extended.

I am talking about reducing speeds everywhere on city streets. A main thoroughfare with a 25 mph speed limit is just silly. I don’t like it but I do obay it.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
Vivek.1363.50
      06-14-2022, 12:54 PM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

How about this, if ppl have at-fault accident, they will be banned for life from driving...let those w/o fault be given the right to speak up and dictate things. I'm actually glad that some ppl will readily want to have self-driving cars because they are too lousy at driving and cannot even pay the minimum attn. There are simply a lot of lousy drivers who don't respect other road users. If it means I have to drive 30kph in residentials, so be it. There are too many monkeys flying around there and in parking lots as if nothing is going to happen. I bet 90% of them would not be able to avoid an accident if somebody ran out in front of them.
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2022, 03:19 PM   #18
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

If you don't want to be caught speeding, get a white cargo van.
I swear I'm invisible to cops whatever my speed is.
As I see it, a white cargo van is no threat to his masculinity but the black Z4MC, oh yeah.
I don't speed when I'm in town, too many smart phone zombies wandering around but on the open highway, get out of my left lane.
      06-14-2022, 03:57 PM   #19
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowalski2011 View Post
I know exactly what you mean, have had many seriously injured in our ER over the years. The other day I was exploring some new found backroads with the M3 when I noticed horseshit all over the road - I immediately returned to my neck of the woods before I came across one of those slow-ass buggies.
Didn't want horse shit on the bimmer right...good plan.
Well it's a tough call of course. It involves religious freedom. I'm all for that. Fly a hot air balloon if it floats your religious boat right?
The issue is these folks drive these buggies, wagons, barges, bus like buggies and anything else they can bolt wheels to. Then attach an animal known for it ability to make it's own decisions. YIKES
Endless incidents. Endless deaths. Always worse once the snow is gone. Very hard to see these things at night in the country around the city.
Then you notice they are on their smart phone making a call. WTF is with that? no car...but a phone is ok.
Anyway it's dangerous to say the least. No insurance either.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:02 PM   #20
HerkHealer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: G30/M550

Speed limits on my road are 20mph, but I actually appreciate it as homes are close together here (waterfront). I really wish the USA would bring back our "autobahn" experiment back again. Surely in the midwest and other wide open areas, we could go unlimited speed limits. I would even pay a huge toll just to drive it.

As a side note, I just learned that California alone has more people than the entire Country of Canada. I found that funny.
Cos270608.50
540iSUP703.00
c1pher4545.50
      06-14-2022, 04:03 PM   #21
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeler View Post
I knew exactly of where you speak after the first sentence in OP. Ludicrous traffic controls. Don't get me started on that facking LRT.
Now you got me going....lol. I see you are another lover of that disaster.

That LRT is the worse idea this city ever had. If I was the King, and I should be, lol, I'd jail everyone responsible for voting it in. 800 million dollars to drive people to the mall. Northfield drive is now a joke completely.
It takes me 15 minutes some days to do a 5 minute drive. What a mistake that junk was.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 04:10 PM   #22
M8Bimmer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Not talking about school zones safety. I don’t speed myself and I have never passed a school bus with there stop sign extended.

I am talking about reducing speeds everywhere on city streets. A main thoroughfare with a 25 mph speed limit is just silly. I don’t like it but I do obay it.
When I was a kid walking to school in town there were very few accidents involving kids and cars. We stayed on the sidewalks and it worked out fine. We didn't even have any crossing guards back then. We made it ok.
We were taught traffic safety and to stay clear of roads. Now as i mentioned somewhere here folks walk all over the road. Families, wheelchairs, dogs, strollers, kiddy wagons etc. I'm completely dumb founded by it. We have GREAT side walks here. EVERYWHERE too.
Why people risk their safety like this is beyond me. In Waterloo it's outta control.
Then our local joke of a TV station report incidents likes it always the drivers fault. How about get off the fucking road fools. It's for motor vehicle not recreational walks. It's just crazy!
Appreciate 2
Cos270608.50
Vivek.1363.50