ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > Z4 DIY (Do It Yourself) Articles
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-21-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
knsaber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW M Roadster Imola Red

Installed Rear Parking Camera

Installed a rear parking camera from Amazon.

I already own the ProClip for the dash so I only needed to add the AMPs 17mm adapter plate to work with the LCD monitor that came with the camera. Make sure to check what kind of rear mounting solution the monitor has before purchasing for your setup.

Removing the rear bumper for the first time was easier than expected. Pulling out the side tabs required some force, luckily no clips broke. The only "destructive" modification required was drilling a small hole in the bumper for the camera wire.

Bumper off. License plate mounting bracket off.

Drill a small hole in order to feed the camera cable through.

The rear body conveniently provides extra grommets to pass through cables. Use a sharp point to puncture this grommet and cut an X large enough to pass through your cable.

Here's the same grommet from the inside, after you remove the tail light cover.

If you plan on tapping into the reverse light for power, first attach the ground to bare metal or screw.

I used the included wire T tap onto the blue/yellow wire (pin #5). Secure the wires neatly and tight so it can't shake loose while driving.

To get the wire from the trunk to the cabin, carefully pull out some of the trunk felt liner. Pop open a little access panel behind the driver or passenger seat. Using a flashlight you can actually see through from rear to front. I used a wire fishing rod to pass through the cable.

Next run enough cable to run to where you want the monitor to be mounted. You can hide all the cables inside the plastic trim.

Here is the monitor mounted.

3798j11409.00
      04-22-2022, 05:45 PM   #2
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Nice writeup, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #3
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
Nice work!
      05-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #4
Jexbima
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsaber View Post

I already own the ProClip for the dash so I only needed to add the AMPs 17mm adapter plate to work with the LCD monitor that came with the camera. Make sure to check what kind of rear mounting solution the monitor has before purchasing for your setup.

Removing the rear bumper for the first time was easier than expected. Pulling out the side tabs required some force, luckily no clips broke. The only "destructive" modification required was drilling a small hole in the bumper for the camera wire.

The rear body conveniently provides extra grommets to pass through cables. Use a sharp point to puncture this grommet and cut an X large enough to pass through your cable.

If you plan on tapping into the reverse light for power, first attach the ground to bare metal or screw.

I used the included wire T tap onto the blue/yellow wire (pin #5). Secure the wires neatly and tight so it can't shake loose while driving.

To get the wire from the trunk to the cabin, carefully pull out some of the trunk felt liner. Pop open a little access panel behind the driver or passenger seat. Using a flashlight you can actually see through from rear to front. I used a wire fishing rod to pass through the cable.

Next run enough cable to run to where you want the monitor to be mounted. You can hide all the cables inside the plastic trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knsaber View Post

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com
[/img]

[img]
View post on imgur.com