ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-21-2022, 09:48 PM   #1
lelandr
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E30M3, E90330i, Z3MC

Removing steering wheel airbag, but keep cover

I did a quick search which didn't turn up too much.

I bought an M Coupe which had a "bricked" airbag system which turned out to be the connector from the battery unplugged. Anywho, as this car's destiny is a track car, I went ahead and starting yanking the airbags and all of their bracketry which totaled ~25lbs so far. Car has proper harnesses, so I don't care to have the bags anyway. So far, I managed to separate all of the covers so that the dash looks intact.

I would like to remove the steering wheel airbag, but the cover then has no way to attach to the steering wheel. I know, I know, I should just replace the wheel, but I like the feel of the wheel as it is and am lazy enough to enjoy changing the volume with my fat thumb.

Certainly, I can't be the first person who tried this, can I? Right now, my solution is to pull the bag for events and then put it back so I don't have to stare at a hole.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 09:19 AM   #2
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

I don't believe the thumb controls on the steering wheel have anything to do with the airbag. When you remove the airbag just make sure the plug for the controls are still plugged in.
If you are the adventurist type you could look up the vid on youtube on how to trigger the airbag to blow while it is off the car then gut it for weight then reattach it.
      03-22-2022, 09:54 AM   #3
elerner61
Major
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4M Roadster

I removed the bag and then steering wheel once to clean contacts underneath the airbag and clear up an Airbag error code (aged/contaminated contacts increase resistance). It seemed to me that the cover and airbag for the steering wheel are one piece, and you wouldn't be able to separate them. Takes all of 30 seconds for you to remove the airbag and take a look.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #4
lelandr
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4MC, E30M3, E90330i, Z3MC

Thanks for the responses! I think that I will just pop out the bag for events.
Appreciate 0