ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #1
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i

Renovo redye - beige to black

I have that black line developed at one of the fold. Tried washing it out a few times, didn't work. Also had some algae/mold/unsure what it is.. few dots everywhere.

I thought I try this before I go the new top route. This is much easier and cheaper on the wallet. I must have wash my top 4-6 times the last 3 weekends. Using various convertible top washer just to see if I can get rid of the dark spots.. no luck. Lots of prepping. Final wash the day before, vacuum, dry again. Cover everything, it splatters even if you're careful.

Some areas did not take the dye as well, so you can see I went with second coat. Even after the second coat, I end up using almost 90% of the bottle and did a third coat.

So yes, it made the canvas stiffer. I actually do not use the top that much even after relocating the motor.. During dye process, I was moving the top around trying to avoid it getting stiff.. Did not work.. Doesn't really bother me. I can't tell what end of third coat will look like. Still have the water proofer to put on. I looked at other brands, ie Protex World Canvas Restorer, there was mention of stiffness there too. The other thing was that forever black gel, not sure if it will get stiff. There is a dupicolor fabric spray also, I only saw a youtube video but not sure if it makes thing stiff.

First Coat Completed

Begin of second coat

04-05-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Ill post the third coat photo later.. it looks much darker and nicer.. Wont get to water proofing till this weekend
      04-07-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

After third coat.. black but also stiff..

04-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #4
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

It will be fine, I did my z3 soft top a few years ago and it turned out just fine.. great stuff that renovo dye..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
kaybat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR, '14 Cayman S

Garage List
'06 Z4M  [0.00]
nice work!
      04-20-2021, 06:18 PM   #6
rsutoratosu
Captain
Rep

Its been about 2 weeks, I been busy and have not put the water proofer on.. it looks really good after 3 coats. So I research about stiffness. Professional canvas dyeing reddit. They use fabric softner, like snuggles to help soften canvas and rinse off. They didn't say how long.. Im incline to give it a try in a small area to see if it makes it a little softer. I doubt it'll hurt the top or the car paint... its just fabric softner..

So you would wet it.. pour it on and rub it around and rinse off after a few min. It'll smell like spring... lol