ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-26-2022, 11:27 PM   #1
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Lightbulb BMW Neue Classe Platform Production Starts at Mexico SLP plant in 2027

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
From recent update in the future models thread:

The primary production plant for Neue Classe cars for the North American market will be SLP (Plant San Luis Potosi).

It will start with two models:
NA0/NA1 i3 sedan and touring will be successors to G20/G21.
NA5 iX3 will be built in parallel with G45 X3 (similar to Mercedes making separate ICE and EV models for the same market segment).

All these models will start production in 2027.
Appreciate 6
      06-27-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
Matthi
Rep
Drives: i3

Huh? They just announced that they will start producing NK EVs in Debrecen starting in 2025. That was literally less than 4 weeks ago via official press release. Why would it now be 2 years later and somewhere totally different all of a sudden?

Quote:
G05/G06/G07 will be succeeded by G65 X5 and iX5, G66 X6 and iX6, G67 X7 and iX7. These will be CLAR based cars, not Neue Classes, and as such their EV versions will still share the hardware with ICE and hybrid models just like i4 and i7 do today.
Also interesting that they will still rely on an old flexible platform as late as 2026/27 for arguably the most important BMW in the entire lineup (in terms of profit) and not utilize the new NK platform with all its benefits. I really don't get it. It's not like they are in a rush as the iX will still be in production till 2028. If the next iX5 doesn't compete well they have a problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #3
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthi View Post
Huh? They just announced that they will start producing NK EVs in Debrecen starting in 2025. That was literally less than 4 weeks ago via official press release. Why would it now be 2 years later and somewhere totally different all of a sudden?
"for the North American market"
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 02:00 PM   #4
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Quote:

Also interesting that they will still rely on an old flexible platform as late as 2026/27 for arguably the most important BMW in the entire lineup (in terms of profit) and not utilize the new NK platform with all its benefits. I really don't get it. It's not like they are in a rush as the iX will still be in production till 2028. If the next iX5 doesn't compete well they have a problem.
I believe this is saying BMW will be building NK EV's at this plant "in addition to" places they already announced, not "in place of".
Appreciate 1
drexplode1762.00
      06-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #5
Hish
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Quote:

Ad 1 SLP Mexico is factory selected for North American market, Debrecen for Europe

Ad 2 Clearly, BMW believes that in 2026-2033 (assuming 7 year production cycle) there is a better business (in terms of market demand and technology development) for designing car on platform that allows for 3 different engine technologies.
Appreciate 0