ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

06-20-2022, 06:30 AM   #1
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Battery posts too small?

Needed a new battery as the car would not start after a short drive. Removed the battery cover and found the terminals completely crusty and corroded.

Anyway removed old OEM battery. BMW recommended new battery part number 61 21 5 A40 E19 (I know, I am overpaying at the stealership). When I put both positive and negative terminals over this new battery posts even after tightening the nuts they can be pried off by hand. Put the old battery back in and its definitely tight on these terminals. What gives? Is the new battery's posts smaller in circumference?

Old battery and terminals for reference. Wondering if I should also bite the bullet and have them replaced; both negative and positive terminal cable rings are pretty corroded.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 04:23 PM   #2
grannyknot
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4M coupe

The terminals can be dunked and soak in a small container of vinegar for about a half an hour, that will clean them up so you can see if they are worth keeping or replacing.
As far as I know, positive terminal clamps are the same size as all positive posts, same for negative clamps and posts.
If BMW sold you the new battery that doesn't fit your clamps, take it back.
Napa, Carquest sell the same size battery.
      06-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #3
cbpip
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4C 3.0si 3 pedal

Garage List
2007 BMW E86C  [0.00]
Just take a thin flat file and file down in-between the splits on the connector until you can get a good bite on the post. Clean them vinegar first as previously mentioned.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2022, 09:10 PM   #4
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Thanks guys. Did both and I think I have control of the situation. Need to file the positive terminal some more for a good firm hold but so far so good. Some battery acid leaked past the metal platform the battery rests on top so I'll probably have to remove it all to clean it up.
Appreciate 0